Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian*, Finnish, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Polish

Message 1 of 39
22 March 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Are there anyone among polyglots interested in Ukrainian language? I know that lots of
people study Russian because it is popular and useful enough. But I haven't heard about
any foreigner who wanted to study Ukrainian not for useful purposes but for soul as I
began studying Italian.
I think Ukrainian is really beautiful language and now it is undeservedly being forgotten
even by native Ukrainians.
So what do you think about it? Hope to be understanded!

Edited by shedl on 22 March 2014 at 12:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 39
22 March 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Dear shedl, важаний!

Ukrainian is indeed a beautiful language, and we have a TAC team here for Ukrainian and Polish. I am an
observer there, but I am afraid I have not participated much, because I am struggling so hard with my
Russian, and feel that I must get that up to a decent level before I can really tackle Ukrainian.

I do however have a number of language courses for Ukrainian, and I will learn it some day. I have spent
three Easter holidays in Zolotonosha in Tsherkasi oblast, and two summer courses in Kyiv and I am
absolutely in love with your country.

I hope that later on I will be able to go to Odessa and Lviv and I also hope that at some point I will be able to
go to Sevastopol under happier circumstances.

Are you learning any foreign language? Because if you do this a great place for advice :-)

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 3 of 39
22 March 2014 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your reply! Yes, you are right about Russian. But I can assure
you that after Russian Ukrainian will be much easier to learn as they are very alike but
at the same time very different!
Also I'm very glad to hear that you plan to visit some of our cities! Hope you'll like
them! These days we have lots of changes in our country. And, unfortunately, this year
Ukraine will not be as interesting for visitors beacuse of events in Crimea. I think
you've heard about them. But all we try to go ahead despite anything! Our people are very
friendly and I hope you noticed it while being in Ukraine!

Currently I'm learning Italian and I like it so much! Also I plan to begin learning
Spanish soon. I see these languages in your list, so hope you'll help me.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 39
22 March 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I am counting on Ukrainian being relatively easy to learn once I can speak Russian properly. I studied a
little Polish many years ago, and even if I remember next to nothing, those few Polish words that are still
there helped me to understand a little Ukrainian.

I know there are difficult times. I have followed the situation very closely. I had actually planned to be in
Ukraine right now, because a friend of ours, who I love like my own daughter, turned 18 yesterday.
Unfortunately our ministry of foreign affairs have issued a warning against traveling there, and the travel
agency I contacted to get tickets were very reluctant to sell tickets, so I had to drop the idea. I do plan to go
there this summer though.

I am most happy to help you with your Spanish. I am a little hesitant to offer my help with Italian, as it is
getting a bit rusty, but we could always try a conversation :-)

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 5 of 39
22 March 2014 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so much for your willing to help me! As for Spanish I'll begin learning it
soon, even as soon as possible. Now I'm focused on Italian but I can see lots of
similarities between these two languages. So it's very pleasant to find somebody who can
help. I love the beauty of languages!
Also I can absolutely agree with your about Polish and its similarity with Ukrainian. My
father visited Poland many times and he says that after Ukrainian he need a bit more than
a week to get user to speak Polish! It's wonderful. Also my family is considering a
possibility to move to Poland one day. So maybe soon I'll have to learn Polish.
Hope you'll have a possibility to come to Ukraine soon! We're making peace right now!
Sorry for writing so much. Hope to contact with as soon as I begin learning Spanish!

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 5000 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 6 of 39
22 March 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
shedl wrote:

And, unfortunately, this year
Ukraine will not be as interesting for visitors beacuse of events in Crimea.

Or maybe on the opposite it can be very interesting because of that.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4554 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 7 of 39
22 March 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
Welcome!

Other than people with Ukrainian heritage, I don't think I've met anyone studying the
language.

I know of several people here that have gone to Ukrainian school at their churches. I
have a very close friend in the off-line world who is studying Ukrainian at a local
Ukrainian Catholic Church. She is second or third generation Ukrainian-Canadian. She
says the Ukrainian she is learning is quite different to the Ukrainian she learned from
her grandmother who was from Western Ukraine. She went to Ukraine recently and many
people asked her to speak Russian instead (which she's not able to do). In fact, she
commented that she met very few Ukrainian speakers which surprised her a lot. I don't
know what part of country she visited.

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 8 of 39
23 March 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
shedl wrote:

And, unfortunately, this year
Ukraine will not be as interesting for visitors beacuse of events in Crimea.

Or maybe on the opposite it can be very interesting because of that.

Hope you're right! Especially now Ukrainians are so opened to show the world that we're
peaceful and friendly people! Welcome to Ukraine! =)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version