Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian*, Finnish, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Polish

Message 9 of 39
23 March 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
Welcome!

Other than people with Ukrainian heritage, I don't think I've met anyone studying the
language.

I know of several people here that have gone to Ukrainian school at their churches. I
have a very close friend in the off-line world who is studying Ukrainian at a local
Ukrainian Catholic Church. She is second or third generation Ukrainian-Canadian. She
says the Ukrainian she is learning is quite different to the Ukrainian she learned from
her grandmother who was from Western Ukraine. She went to Ukraine recently and many
people asked her to speak Russian instead (which she's not able to do). In fact, she
commented that she met very few Ukrainian speakers which surprised her a lot. I don't
know what part of country she visited.

I know that Ukrainian which is used in Western Ukraine really differs from that used in
Central Ukraine and in Kiev. But it doesn't mean that it's difficult to understand.
Usage of Ukrainian in Western Ukraine is much bigger but even there lots of people
prefer Russian instead. And such situation can be observed all over Ukraine.
But for me the most sad moment is that Ukrainian language is being forgotten and is not
respected even by native Ukrainians. It's really sad. I love Ukrainian! And I really
hope that there are lots of people that share my thoughts and aspirations.
Though I want to get abroad I'd like my children (if I'll have them =)) to learn
Ukrainian even if they won't use it in everyday life. It's the cultural heritage and I
want to save it for the rest of my life!

Excuse me, please, for writing so sad and maybe bothering things but it's just my
feelings because I really love languages and hope to learn lots of them!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 39
23 March 2014 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
That's nothing to apologize for!
If that's any consolation, UNESCO considers Ukrainian to be safe (as opposed to endangered or vulnerable). Schooling and media matter a lot.

BTW, I've got a recording of myself reading Ukrainian aloud in my profile :) I really like this language and it's awesome to compare with Russian, Polish, Belarusian. (speaking of that last one, I'm half-Belarusian and I can say that the situation is completely different. Don't worry, Ukrainian won't repeat its fate!)

Also, I attended the lyceum affiliated with Moscow State Linguistic University and Ukrainian was one of the options.

Edited by Serpent on 23 March 2014 at 11:49am

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 11 of 39
23 March 2014 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
That's nothing to apologize for!
If that's any consolation, UNESCO considers Ukrainian to be safe (as opposed to
endangered or vulnerable). Schooling and media matter a lot.

BTW, I've got a recording of myself reading Ukrainian aloud in my profile :) I really
like this language and it's awesome to compare with Russian, Polish, Belarusian.
(speaking of that last one, I'm half-Belarusian and I can say that the situation is
completely different. Don't worry, Ukrainian won't repeat its fate!)

Also, I attended the lyceum affiliated with Moscow State Linguistic University and
Ukrainian was one of the options.

I suppose you're russian and if I'm right I'd like to say that it's very pleasant to
hear that you
Serpent wrote:
really like this language

That's just because lots of russians and even ukrainians say that Ukrainian language is
"теляча мова" which means something like a "village language" but with more insulting
context. I repeat that it's really pleasant! But what I'm speaking about? Here at this
beautiful forum are the people who really love languages so I like this place very much
though I've registered a bit more than a month ago! Thanks for your support to a
newbie!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6526 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 12 of 39
23 March 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
This isn't the place for political discussions, but I think it's quite possible that the Ukrainian language will be stronger because of recent events, as Ukrainians feel the need to distance themselves from Russia. And a more confident Ukrainian language coupled with closer ties to the EU might mean people start studying the language more. I'm pretty sure Polish has become a much more popular language to study since Poland's entry into the EU.

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 13 of 39
23 March 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
This isn't the place for political discussions, but I think it's quite
possible that the Ukrainian language will be stronger because of recent events, as
Ukrainians feel the need to distance themselves from Russia. And a more confident
Ukrainian language coupled with closer ties to the EU might mean people start studying
the language more. I'm pretty sure Polish has become a much more popular language to
study since Poland's entry into the EU.

I absolutely agree with you! I also didn't want this topic to become a place for
political discussions but the problem of Ukrainian language troubles me more and more.
As for me I can agree that cooperation with EU will improve our situation in general
and will strengthen our beautiful language!

And as for Poland I can say that this country is special for me even though I've never
been to Poland, even though I don't speak Polish (yet!) but I have Polish ancestors in
my genealogy and also my family are planning to move to this beautiful country one day.
And one more pleasant moment is that Ukrainian is related with Polish! I really hope
that Ukrainian will survive in these times as it servived in the times of Taras
Shevchenko in the middle of the XIX thanks to the great aspirations of people's hearts.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4178 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 14 of 39
24 March 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
I'd like to learn Ukrainian one day, but, to be honest, my motivation is quite weak (just to surprise my grandfather, he's a Ukrainian which had moved in Siberia long ago) and I think it would be hard thing for me to do just because of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 39
24 March 2014 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
I'd like to learn Ukrainian one day, but, to be honest, my motivation is quite weak (just to
surprise my grandfather, he's a Ukrainian which had moved in Siberia long ago) and I think it would be hard
thing for me to do just because of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian.

I know. My great great grandfather was Swedish, and I read and if need be "speak" Swedish, but I think
people in general underestimate the challenges of learning a language which is very close.

I am looking forward to getting a substantial "discount " when learning Ukrainian due to knowing some
Russian. Already now I can sometimes get the gist of Ukrainian texts because of the little Russian I know, so
I look forward to the time when I can read my first Agatha Christie in Ukrainian :-)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4651 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 39
24 March 2014 at 9:55am | IP Logged 
shedl wrote:
Are there anyone among polyglots interested in Ukrainian language? I
know that lots of
people study Russian because it is popular and useful enough. But I haven't heard about
any foreigner who wanted to study Ukrainian not for useful purposes but for soul as I
began studying Italian.
I think Ukrainian is really beautiful language and now it is undeservedly being
forgotten
even by native Ukrainians.
So what do you think about it? Hope to be understanded!

I am interested in all languages, Ukrainian is not excluded. However I don't have that
many friends from the Ukraine (and those I do have are russophones) so unfortunately,
it does not yet have any sort of priority for me. But I will certainly learn some words
when I end up going to the Ukraine.

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version