39 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6541 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 39
24 March 2014 at 1:07pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Via Diva wrote:
I'd like to learn Ukrainian one day, but, to be honest, my motivation is quite weak (just to
surprise my grandfather, he's a Ukrainian which had moved in Siberia long ago) and I think it would be hard
thing for me to do just because of similarities between Ukrainian and Russian.

I know. My great great grandfather was Swedish, and I read and if need be "speak" Swedish, but I think people in general underestimate the challenges of learning a language which is very close.

Very true. I found that having a more distant reference point helped; namely, when comparing them with Polish I see how Belarusian and Ukrainian aren't as similar to Russian as it might seem.

As for polyglots, it's not that they ignore Ukrainian, they just tend to learn Russian to a higher level. For example, Katò Lomb worked with Ukrainian as a translator, but was modest about her speaking skills. Prof Argüelles has spent some time on Ukrainian, though it appears that nowadays he doesn't have any slots for new languages - he's had to more or less give up Mandarin afaiu. I'm under the impression that it was something similar in Erik Gunnemark's case, except that he was European and travelled a lot, and reading with a 99,99% understanding wasn't such a high priority for him. It seems that he never stopped aiming to improve all his languages.

I'd say in the modern world the "one language at a time" thing has become more common. Things like Youtube and Skype have contributed to this for sure - the "youtube polyglots" are not taken seriously if they want to demonstrate mostly intermediate skills; on the other hand, now that we have Skype, the percentage of "European travellers" has lessened among polyglots. (that's not a bad thing - those who wouldn't dream of becoming polyglots due to limited travel opportunities can now go for it!) And while most of us don't study languages to make videos, we still watch them, and we constantly hear the "one language at a time" advice. Also, the easier we can travel, the more likely we are to delay this or that language until we speak another language better. For a European, almost nothing in Europe is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity anymore. (and I'm afraid Russia being high on the "difficult to visit" scale also contributes to focusing on Russian and delaying Ukrainian)

But I expect the popularity of Ukrainian to go up in the near future. Some are already learning it, some will get their Russian (and other languages!) to a level where they feel ready for the new challenge, some will have a desire to find more about your country's history and culture following the infamous political events, the European integration will lead to an increase of the amount of non-Russian based materials for learning Ukrainian, etc etc etc. (In fact this has already started prior to Euro-2012)
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7100 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 39
24 March 2014 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
shedl wrote:
Are there anyone among polyglots interested in Ukrainian language? I know that lots of
people study Russian because it is popular and useful enough. But I haven't heard about
any foreigner who wanted to study Ukrainian not for useful purposes but for soul as I
began studying Italian.
I think Ukrainian is really beautiful language and now it is undeservedly being forgotten
even by native Ukrainians.
So what do you think about it? Hope to be understanded!

I'm no polyglot but I'm very interested in Ukrainian, and have been learning it for about a couple of years now.

I'm probably in the minority but I am minimally interested in Russian. Unless I had a pressing need to learn Russian seriously, I'd much prefer to improve my ability in Ukrainian (or Polish, or Slovak, or Finnish, or Turkish or...).

As to the language being forgotten, I guess that in a relative sense it can be distressing for a native speaker to come across enough natives of Ukraine who can't use Ukrainian or have no desire to learn it. On the other hand, and for the sake of the language's survival, it does help that not only is the language used as much as if not more than Russian west of the Dnipro, but there's a big enough diaspora that's keen to maintain the language even if they have (in my mind, at least) a somewhat idealized view of Ukraine (some of these people whom I've met were or are members of Plast or emigré Ukrainian folk dance groups). I'm not worried about the language's viability yet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Russian, Ukrainian*, Finnish, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Polish

Message 19 of 39
24 March 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

I'm no polyglot but I'm very interested in Ukrainian, and have been learning it for
about a couple of years now.

I'm probably in the minority but I am minimally interested in Russian. Unless I had a
pressing need to learn Russian seriously, I'd much prefer to improve my ability in
Ukrainian (or Polish, or Slovak, or Finnish, or Turkish or...).

As to the language being forgotten, I guess that in a relative sense it can be
distressing for a native speaker to come across enough natives of Ukraine who can't use
Ukrainian or have no desire to learn it. On the other hand, and for the sake of the
language's survival, it does help that not only is the language used as much as if not
more than Russian west of the Dnipro, but there's a big enough diaspora that's keen to
maintain the language even if they have (in my mind, at least) a somewhat idealized
view of Ukraine (some of these people whom I've met were or are members of Plast or
emigré Ukrainian folk dance groups). I'm not worried about the language's viability
yet.

Thanks for your reply! It's very pleasant to hear such words from foreigner! I mean
your willing to improve your Ukrainian. I'm becoming more confident in my thoughts
about position of Ukrainian among other languages. I just hope that one day it will
become as popular as many other european languages!

And if I can help you with your Ukrainian or Russian I'll do it with pleasure! I just
fell in love with this forum and I can see here lots of people that help each other
with joy!

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 20 of 39
24 March 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
I'd like to learn Ukrainian one day, but, to be honest, my motivation
is quite weak (just to surprise my grandfather, he's a Ukrainian which had moved in
Siberia long ago) and I think it would be hard thing for me to do just because of
similarities between Ukrainian and Russian.

I'm really sure that even not learning Ukrainian hard you can surprise your grandfather.
I'd do it this way: I'd learn some Ukrainian poems by such greatest poets like Taras
Shevchenko or Ivan Franko. If he likes such things he will value your efforts! That's
just my opinion. (I can understand you because for me motivation in learning languages
means a lot).

shedl
Tetraglot
Ukraine
Joined 3878 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes

Message 21 of 39
24 March 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

I am looking forward to getting a substantial "discount " when learning Ukrainian due to
knowing some
Russian. Already now I can sometimes get the gist of Ukrainian texts because of the
little Russian I know, so
I look forward to the time when I can read my first Agatha Christie in Ukrainian :-)

Really similar situation! I feel that soon I'll have to begin learning Polish (if we move
to Poland). And this language is very similar to Ukrainian (as I maybe mentioned above).
But it's a bit scaring for me as it's the first foreign Slavonic language for me. But I
hope it will not be a problem! =)

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 5000 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 22 of 39
29 March 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
This isn't the place for political discussions, but I think it's quite possible that the Ukrainian language will be stronger because of recent events, as Ukrainians feel the need to distance themselves from Russia. And a more confident Ukrainian language coupled with closer ties to the EU might mean people start studying the language more. I'm pretty sure Polish has become a much more popular language to study since Poland's entry into the EU.

On the opposite they want to show that Russian is a language of Ukraine as well as Ukrainian.

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4678 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 23 of 39
30 March 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Ironically I started working with a speaker of ukrainian in the past few weeks. He
speaks a small amount of English. So it's very useful for me to learn the most basic of
ukrainian. I originally wanted him to teach me polish, as everyone else I work with
speaks polish. However giving the timing it seemed more proper to learn a bit of his
language.

I'm not gonna lie at first I hated the language, just sounded needlessly strange and
unorganized. However after a few weeks I've started to believe its the best sounding
slavic language, as it's more dynamic than the others.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Ivan1989
Triglot
Ukraine
Joined 4469 days ago

10 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian*, English, Russian
Studies: Polish, Spanish

Message 24 of 39
30 March 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the late response, але ласкаво просимо на форум, Shedl! In my view, Ukrainian is not as endangered as Byelorussian, but it's still somehow underestimated, even by some Ukrainians themselves. But I actually know some foreigners (Americans, Poles and Russians) who live in Ukraine and speak relatively good Ukrainian. Also, certain polygolts (like Chung and Serpent) and people who study Slavistics are interested in it. But, it's destined to remain in the shadow of bigger and stronger Russian language.      

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version