Tags: Difficulty
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
134 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 16 17 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4128 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 73 of 134
24 May 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
I guess that what I mean is that in this video about
Danish
, the comments (which I usually try not to read), one can see things about
how Anglophones have problems with other languages, but everyone finds English easy, and
related ideas, like Anglophones, especially USA, UK, Australia, seem to be the most
monolingual and have problems even if they try, but that Anglophones' language is so easy
that it can just be absorbed like UV rays from sunlight.

I agree that the accent seems quite strange, but the comments seem to revolve around that
the accent for this Danish reading is bad, whilst people who learn English can perfect
their accents to near-native level and master English quickly.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 24 May 2014 at 12:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4545 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 74 of 134
24 May 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Gustavo Russi wrote:
 English is oftenly considered easy because it is
popular. It isn't "English" that is
easy. It's the English-language-bombing people all around the world receive everyday
naturally without noticing. It's a lingua franca, so people "get used" to it. And when
someone gets used to something without too much effort, they consider that thing to be
easy.

It goes miles further than that. People claim we speak English because it is the
easiest language of all. They claim it
is "primitive" "backwards" "monkeyish" "stupid" "idiotic" "empty" "perfect for stupid
Americans who cannot
conjugate" "the lowest language" "a dumb pidgin" "uncouth" "learnable in 2 weeks"
"unsophisticated" "a joke" "I
have more trouble learning my native language" "Lol, try learning Russian stupid low
IQ English natives, you'll see
you're the laughingstock of all of the whole World for speaking such a stupid backwards
inbred primitive incapable
low vocabulary, no grammar language! hahahahhahah!"

I want to strangle all of them too. These idiots never say a thing about Chinese
though, like most bigotries, they
are never consistent in their prejudices. The sad thing is that this is acceptable
among 90% of all Europeans, only
fueling their smug nationalism.

Prove it. This is not my experience at all with any of my students.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6435 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 134
24 May 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Anyone can learn a language like Russian, it is not intelligence at all but sheer memorization of forms, painful irregularity doesn't make a language "deeper" or "complex", it just makes things less logical and in need of rote!

Then how about either learning or leaving it alone? I'm as tired of your complaining as you are tired of those 1-5% Europeans who say nasty things about English (and I'm being generous with 5%).

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2014 at 12:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6435 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 76 of 134
24 May 2014 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Prove it. This is not my experience at all with any of my students.

Oh god please no. No need to bring this ridiculous stuff to HTLAL when it's a tiny minority that thinks so (if they even do, and aren't just trolling deliberately).

Edited by Serpent on 24 May 2014 at 12:54am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4545 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 77 of 134
24 May 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Prove it. This is not my experience at all with any of
my students.

Oh god please no. No need to bring this ridiculous stuff to HTLAL.

Don't worry, he is incapable of it.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 78 of 134
24 May 2014 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I agree that the accent seems quite strange, but the comments seem to revolve around that the accent for this Danish reading is bad, whilst people who learn English can perfect their accents to near-native level and master English quickly.

Hahaha, what a freakin' joke. Most of the time you can suss out someone trying for a standard American accent just by asking them to pronounce the word "fun." :-)

On the other hand, I have yet to meet these alleged arrogant Europeans, thankfully.

Edited by tastyonions on 24 May 2014 at 1:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3870 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 79 of 134
24 May 2014 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Prove it. This is not my experience at all with any of
my students.

Oh god please no. No need to bring this ridiculous stuff to HTLAL.

Don't worry, he is incapable of it.

Are you saying none of the things I saw were never written over the internet? I met a guy who said exactly that
quote I said, a foreign exchange student back when I was in my junior year of high school. That has what spurred
me to get deeper into linguistic structure and evolution rather than be content with Spanish.
I have provided evidence , nothing I have said has been challenged with counter arguments. Nobody took a claim I
made and attempted to disproved it.

Forgive my attitude, but I have gone a bit "mad" from learning about so many different types of grammars in the
world and not finding any answers.

Edited by Stolan on 24 May 2014 at 5:12am

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4968 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 80 of 134
24 May 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

Are you saying none of the things I saw were never written over the internet? I met a
guy who said exactly that quote I said

Call me sheltered, but I've never once met anyone that thought that way regarding
English.

Quote:

... a foreign exchange student back when I was in my junior year of high school.

Ah, well there it is. High School, where worldly knowledge runs rampant.

R.
==

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version