United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 81 of 134
24 May 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:

It's a bit boring to say "it all depends on how much you want it." And I don't think it's
strictly true. Some language x will take more time to learn as a function of the genetic
distance between the languages. Learning outside of your immediate language family will
necessarily take cumulatively longer than learning within it.

Yes, I agree that learning inside your own language family should be easier because of the cognates and
similar grammar ideas. But I sometimes get the feeling that people label a more "exotic" language as being
difficult without stopping to think they may only be doing so from a certain perspective. For example there will
be Asian languages which have a fearsome reputation in Europe but will be regarded as more accessible in
other parts of the world.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3827 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 82 of 134
24 May 2014 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I guess that what I mean is that in this video about
Danish
, the comments (which I usually try not to read), one can see things about
how Anglophones have problems with other languages, but everyone finds English easy, and
related ideas, like Anglophones, especially USA, UK, Australia, seem to be the most
monolingual and have problems even if they try, but that Anglophones' language is so easy
that it can just be absorbed like UV rays from sunlight.

Anglophones find other languages too difficult because they have no real incentives to learn them. If Hungarian was the global lingua franca probably even I would be less keen on learning languages. This is a completely understandable human attitude, I can't blame Anglophones for this, although perhaps envy them a bit .

1e4e6 wrote:
I agree that the accent seems quite strange, but the comments seem to revolve around that
the accent for this Danish reading is bad, whilst people who learn English can perfect
their accents to near-native level and master English quickly.

Having a native like English accent is a daunting task. I have achieved this in Spanish, but never will in English. When I recently moved to my current home and had the first over-the-fence chat with my neighbour I tried to put on my best British accent to see if I can fool her. Well, I hardly opened my mouth when she kindly asked me: "You are not English, are you?" Note that I have been studying English for 15 years and have lived in the UK for about 7. By contrast, after 6 months in Latin-America nobody noticed in similar small talk situations that I wasn't a native speaker of Spanish.

Edited by Hungringo on 24 May 2014 at 10:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3871 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 83 of 134
24 May 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
Stolan wrote:

Are you saying none of the things I saw were never written over the internet? I met a
guy who said exactly that quote I said

Call me sheltered, but I've never once met anyone that thought that way regarding
English.

Quote:

... a foreign exchange student back when I was in my junior year of high school.

Ah, well there it is. High School, where worldly knowledge runs rampant.

R.
==

http://www.economist.com/node/15108609

Or this article and the 120 or so comments agreeing with it. English loathing and mocking is much more common
than one thinks. There is tons wrong with this article actually, this person claims there are languages harder than
Ancient Greek for example, no, there isn't, and mentions Turkish without realizing that it is ironically simpler than
English. I hate these kinds of smug "linguists", but there are thousands of them right now.

Go onto youtube comments and you will see stuff like "English is useful for being simple but it cannot express and
show what (other european languages like German and French), etc." Greek, Dutch, and Portuguese are the most
arrogant on how "simple" they think English is. Thousands of internet posts and forum comments etc.
The word "PRIMITIVE" always pops up, but what bugs me the most is they aren't consistent in their bigotry.
PRIMITIVE, etc "Englisch ist eine primitive sprache" "Keine grammatik" thousands of comments like this in the
world. and finally "WE USE IT BECAUSE IT IS THE EASIEST DUMBEST LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD"

http://www.usingenglish.com/weblog/archives/000037.html

Look at all those comments! Exactly what I said, disparaging and ignoring Chinese, I want to slap them but the sad
thing is that good things always happen to bad people in our world. Yahoo answers in other languages has
hundreds of thousands of posts like I mentioned.

Edited by Stolan on 24 May 2014 at 5:08pm

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4147 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 84 of 134
24 May 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
What part of the Economist article can be said to expressing "loathing and mocking" of English? I didn't
detect that.

Also your position is confusing. Are you arguing that detractors are wrong to call English primitive, or
that they're only inconsistent, by not being equally critical towards the primitiveness of Chinese? Or both?

Like I said, I don't think it's very intelligible to call a whole language "simple" overall, pace the
comments on these pages you object to, however we know what they have in mind: the wimpy declension tables
and near-complete lack of case and gender. In these 3 particular respects, English is quick to pick up.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4546 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 85 of 134
24 May 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
hrhenry wrote:
Stolan wrote:

Are you saying none of the things I saw were never written over the internet? I met a
guy who said exactly that quote I said

Call me sheltered, but I've never once met anyone that thought that way regarding
English.

Quote:

... a foreign exchange student back when I was in my junior year of high school.

Ah, well there it is. High School, where worldly knowledge runs rampant.

R.
==

http://www.economist.com/node/15108609

Or this article and the 120 or so comments agreeing with it. English loathing and
mocking is much more common
than one thinks. There is tons wrong with this article actually, this person claims
there are languages harder than
Ancient Greek for example, no, there isn't, and mentions Turkish without realizing that
it is ironically simpler than
English. I hate these kinds of smug "linguists", but there are thousands of them right
now.

Go onto youtube comments and you will see stuff like "English is useful for being
simple but it cannot express and
show what (other european languages like German and French), etc." Greek, Dutch, and
Portuguese are the most
arrogant on how "simple" they think English is. Thousands of internet posts and forum
comments etc.
The word "PRIMITIVE" always pops up, but what bugs me the most is they aren't
consistent in their bigotry.
PRIMITIVE, etc "Englisch ist eine primitive sprache" "Keine grammatik" thousands of
comments like this in the
world. and finally "WE USE IT BECAUSE IT IS THE EASIEST DUMBEST LANGUAGE IN THE WORLD"

http://www.usingenglish.com/weblog/archives/000037.html

Look at all those comments! Exactly what I said, disparaging and ignoring Chinese, I
want to slap them but the sad
thing is that good things always happen to bad people in our world. Yahoo answers in
other languages has
hundreds of thousands of posts like I mentioned.

Really? You are going to use the troll section of the internet to prove an already
flimsy point?

4 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3871 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 86 of 134
24 May 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
The economist article wasn't a troll. The tone treated English as not "special" like every single other language in the
world. I know the type who writes those posts, sort of a self loathing native English speaker who believes everything
except English is exotic.

Retinend wrote:
Like I said, I don't think it's very intelligible to call a whole language "simple" overall, pace the
comments on these pages you object to, however we know what they have in mind: the wimpy declension tables
and near-complete lack of case and gender. In these 3 particular respects, English is quick to pick up.

Turkic languages are simpler overall as they have far smaller inventories of sounds and no gender, not even in
pronouns and only a 1/10 of the number of irregular forms as in English and most seldom have any
grammaticalization of preverbs that is as elaborate as phrasal verbs in English, Hungarian, or German.

Many Uralic languages too such as Udmurt and Komi are simple. They have the only one regular declension and
conjugations each (no vowel harmony or difficult phonemic processes like mobile stress or unusual mutations)
hardly or no adjective agreement, no articles etc. but they are let off free, nobody singles them out to the same
degree.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Komi-Permyak_language#Grammar
I am actually surprised at how simple they are, English, Indonesian, and Mandarin have historical excuses.
Their bare bone simplicity weirds me out the same way so many Indo European languages do because of their
extreme complexity.

To Serpent
I have never seen a single Russian comment on a Turkic or non-finnic Uralic language for their legitimate
Indonesian-like straightforwardness while I have heard many say things about English, often derisive such as how it
is "primitive" and "the easiest", and I'm sure you've heard your countrymen possibly comment on English's ease in
many ways, but anything on Turkic or non-finnic Uralic? Any insulting comments? They're closer in proximity but
they haven't laid a finger on any of them so far. So ironic.

Edited by Stolan on 24 May 2014 at 11:37pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4360 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 87 of 134
24 May 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
English is forced down the throats of millions of people, so it is no wonder it is
discussed quite a bit more than languages that are of interest only in specific regions.
And that there are a lot of negative sentiments towards this language might also have
to do with this little detail (ie. 'forcing'). Additionally, comments about languages
written in English are usually either about English or from native English speakers.

Edited by daegga on 24 May 2014 at 11:38pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6436 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 88 of 134
25 May 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Stolan, I've heard much more about English being difficult. Any subjective negativity is usually about the way it sounds and not about it being "primitive" or whatever.
Have you ever studied Indonesian btw? While it's one of the easiest Asian languages, it's not as much of a walk in the park as you claim.
Also Turkish is known to be regular and relatively easy among those who care about learning languages. I know a couple of people who learn/speak it, interestingly both also have Spanish on their lists.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version