Joined 3826 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 66 of 134
23 May 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
True, but Spanish and Portuguese share not only a high relation between their
languages, but are both traditionally majority Catholic nations, which I am unsure even
matters in terms of ease of learning the language of the other, but I do not meet many
who learn the other to a high level. Perhaps the fact that Scandinavians are taught
English from age to 5 to 15 and beyond, that helps, but I think that if one is forced
to learn any language for at least ten years beginning from primary school, the
students would generally master the language.

Also, yes English shares some lexical similarities with the Scandinavian languages, but
so vice versa. However, I do not seem to feel any extreme ease to learn Swedish nor
Danish to be so easy like doing arithmetic in my head. Also, I am not Protestant, but I
am unsure what the relation is to learning the languages with ease. Nevertheless, I
have been told various times that English was the easiest language in the world because
it was simplified like an Esperanto, except that English was not a constructed
language, but somehow lost all of its features more than a fisherman's stew that lost
all of its seafood and was left with but pure broth.

Keep in mind that English is the universal lingua franca. If it was Portuguese then Spanish kids would learn it relatively easily and quickly, but because this is not the case Spanish kids struggle with English. If Swedish or Danish were the linguae francae you would learn them.

Culture matters more than you think. Although perhaps culture is not the best word to describe what I mean, perhaps I should say attitude and cultural affinity. Granted, Scandinavian children start learning English at an early age but so do many Hungarians yet the results are totally different.

If we look at the map, we can see that 2 types of countries speak good English. 1. Former colonies (no explanation needed) and 2. Northwest-European fringe (Scandinavians, Dutch, to some extent Germans). This Northwest European fringe has geographical proximity to Britain and also long-standing cultural, commercial ties. Dutch and Swedish children are surrounded by English from an early age, are interested in British and American culture, and yes with some exceptions (e.g. Finns) all speak a Germanic language related to English.

On the other hand Hungary never had any commercial or cultural ties with English-speaking nations, for centuries it has been influenced by the Germanosphere. If someone spoke a foreign tongue in Hungary it was almost always German, while the elite also spoke French along with German. Up until the late 20th century English was as alien in Hungary as Japanese or Swahili. Even today the majority of the people are not really open to English. They learn the language because they have to, they have to pass a language exam to obtain their degrees, or want to polish their CVs, but the overwhelming majority is not genuinely interested in the language and once they passed their language exams and collected their kudos, they never use it again, and within a couple of years will forget everything. After 8-12 years of classroom instruction the brightest and most hardworking children might be able to pass a B1 exam. If their parents hired a private tutor probably even B2. Nevertheless, the great majority never get beyond A2. And even those bright kids who get beyond B2 will forget the language after graduation because they will never use it again.

I am afraid you overestimate the easiness of English. What you perceive as simplicity (i.e. the isolating tendencies in the language) pose a huge challenge for someone like me who is coming from an agglutinative language. I am right now going through an English grammar book, and believe me, it is pretty complex and above all arbitrary.

When you meet people who tell you that English is so and so easy, you are probably dealing with a very small and specific minority who have a strong interest in English, they've actually moved to the UK to study or work in qualified positions etc. They do not represent the whole population. You probably don't bump into the Polish factory worker who hardly knows more than 100 English words or the Spanish kitchen porter who will probably not understand the question when you ask the time.

Edited by Hungringo on 23 May 2014 at 11:28am

4 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3937 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 67 of 134
23 May 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
Culture matters more then you think. Although perhaps culture is not the best word to describe what I mean, perhaps I should say attitude and cultural affinity. Granted, Scandinavian children start learning English at an early age but so do many Hungarians yet the results are totally different.

If we look at the map, we can see that 2 types of countries speak good English. 1. Former colonies (no explanation needed) and 2. Northwest-European fringe (Scandinavians, Dutch, to some extent Germans). This Northwest European fringe has geographical proximity to Britain and also long-standing cultural, commercial ties. Dutch and Swedish children are surrounded by English from an early age, are interested in British and American culture, and yes with some exceptions (e.g. Finns) all speak a Germanic language related to English.

I'd probably put less emphasis on physical closeness to Britain and historical ties when it comes to Scandinavians and English. We are much closer to Germany and German culture has been much more important historically, yet the few people I know who are independent (not even fluent) speakers of German picked it up for work.

Cultural allegiance is absolutely crucial, though. Scandinavia has allied with anglophone culture to the exclusion of almost everything else. Swedes are almost as likely as stereotype monolingual Americans and Brits to act incredulous when people abroad don't know English, look down their noses at countries who dub anything with an intended audience older than 10, etc. And they are often utterly convinced that their knowledge of English means they have access to everything this world has to offer.

The French, on the other hand, don't have the same allegiance to all things anglophone. Early last year I remember checking the current cinema top #20 and there were three Scandinavian films on the list at the time. Sure, most people probably chose the "French Version" rather than the "Subtitled Original Version", but that's not the point. Those films had a market, an enormous market.

I see this a lot when I watch news and documentaries too. Often when a French journalist is interviewing an Italian or a Spanish expert, whoever has been chosen to provide the journalist with an expert has found someone who speaks French. German and Russian experts all speak German and Russian. Dutch and Scandinavian experts speak English. Even the Chinese are more likely to find French TV a Francophone Chinese to speak to than the Scandinavians who, to a large extent, learn French in school.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4460 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 68 of 134
23 May 2014 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
I know a woman who grew up in the Soviet Union as a monoglot Russian speaker. When that political system collapsed, she moved to Germany without knowing a single word of German (or English). Her only option was to find menial work and start learning German bit by bit. She now speaks fluently and holds down a marketing job in the German language. Which incidentally proves that adults can and do learn effectively from a starting point of zero.

The point of my story is that she has recently been trying to learn English, a language which is almost universally badged as "easy". She has been to a couple of residential courses in London and is taking the project seriously, but she is having a hard time.

I think the "easy" languages are the ones people are already motivated to learn. Russian is often described as a tough language but tens of millions of people across the old USSR learned it as a non-native tongue because it was obviously incredibly useful for life in that part of the world at that particular time
7 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3870 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 69 of 134
23 May 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
Anyone can learn a language like Russian, it is not intelligence at all but sheer memorization of forms, painful
irregularity doesn't make a language "deeper" or "complex", it just makes things less logical and in need of rote!
Like I said, if I hear someone gave up learning a language because it was too difficult, they have moved a notch
down in my mind considering millions of people often learn "hard" languages without complaining.
Likewise, I think people who give up learning Mandarin must be absolutely stupid, it's the simplest language in the
eastern hemisphere that is a lingua franca. Millions speak it and learn it, it is not up there with Russian, it is down
with English and Spanish.

1e4e6 wrote:
Nevertheless, I have been told various times that English was the easiest language in the world
because it was simplified like an Esperanto, except that English was not a constructed
language, but somehow lost all of its features more than a fisherman's stew that lost
all of its seafood and was left with but pure broth.

I want to strangle everyone who says that about English. English has been smoothed over but it is not ultra
simplified nor anywhere near Esperanto levels. Around the world, languages ebb and flow, things are
grammaticalized, things build up, things break down, just is! Armenian lost gender around 500 AD but nobody
says a thing.

English has numerous phrasal verbs, decent tense aspect, 150 irregular verbs, about 10 irregular plurals, 5
irregular adjective comparatives, and 44 phonemes (24 consonants, 20 vowel sounds)

But something like Turkish has 28 phonemes, only 1 irregular verb, no irregular plurals, and the same declension
and conjugation for every word yet nobody says a single thing! Same thing with Hungarian, it is not that complex
either yet "inflection" makes them "better"! Indonesian too, Persian too, etc! How does this idea that English is "the
absolute bottom level of all" get to be? I blame the attitude of European speakers growing up, they are raised with
nationalism and want an easy target like English since they won't bother to learn languages outside their family.

These same idiots would never lay a finger on Mandarin despite it being 100% isolating, they can't even be
consistent in their bigotry against English!

Edited by Stolan on 23 May 2014 at 5:19pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Gustavo Russi
Tetraglot
Brazil
Joined 3681 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French, Italian

Message 70 of 134
23 May 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
English is oftenly considered easy because it is popular. It isn't "English" that is
easy. It's the English-language-bombing people all around the world receive everyday
naturally without noticing. It's a lingua franca, so people "get used" to it. And when
someone gets used to something without too much effort, they consider that thing to be
easy.

I got used to reading Mandarin when I was a child (before anyone told me it was "hard")
and I must say it has been the easiest language I've ever learned. I could understand
Mandarin just as well as I could understand English, simply because they were present
in my day-to-day life. Today, six years after I stopped learning it, I can still see
some logic to it, even though people think I'm crazy.

Someone earlier on this thread was talking about the similarities between Portuguese
and Spanish. It is true - both languages are very close to eachother. The problem is
that people in lusophone countries tend to start learning Spanish simply because it is
close to Portuguese, but they have a very hard time with it - Spanish is not present in
their daily life, so they end up saying that "Spanish may seem to be easy, but it is
hard as hell". This is the difference between finding something easy or hard: if you
find the logic in it or not. If you feel Russian is logical (because maybe you've had
it always around you for family reasons or such), you'll find it to be easy.

I actually find Italian more comprehensible than Spanish today, because I have never
deeply studied Spanish while my Italian is in a pretty decent level. And now that I may
start learning German, many people are telling me "the cases complicate it all", but
I've managed to understand the mechanics of the language before actually trying to say
that "I learn German and is easy/hard". Until now, I haven't had any problem with
phonetics or verbal tenses. And again, people call me crazy, because I'm supposed to
find it hard.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3870 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 71 of 134
23 May 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
People operate on instinct, people can never come to conclusions based on direct observation and deduction. I
hate people, one "person" is better than "people". They let perceived ideas control how successful they are in
language learning! But I will never get to correct all of those fools who make bad linguistic claims.

I have gone out and made my observations on different grammars in the world, I actually feel I may have gone
slightly mad when the sheer differences in complexity and different forms of grammaticalization seemed so
inconsistent. I thought humans would move towards equal features and complexities in said features as the human
mind is limitless in how a language could get in all areas and we are all the same species, but it is not so!

It is quite random, Turkish could morph into a beast while Russian may turn into an Indonesian. Just because!

Edited by Stolan on 23 May 2014 at 11:25pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4146 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 72 of 134
23 May 2014 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
I think that objectivity is more attainable with smaller questions. Which languages have
relatively easy tense systems? As Stolan intimated- which languages have relatively easy
phonetics or declensions? These are interesting to ask.

It's a bit boring to say "it all depends on how much you want it." And I don't think it's
strictly true. Some language x will take more time to learn as a function of the genetic
distance between the languages. Learning outside of your immediate language family will
necessarily take cumulatively longer than learning within it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version