awake
United States
Joined 6578 days ago

406 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Spanish

Message 9 of 94
19 March 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
It's more a drawback of living in a small town in the U.S. than being a polyglot, but I'm not around any people who share my interest in learning languages. So that limits my socialization somewhat, as the time I spend practicing/studying is time away from the people that I associate with in town. Of course, contacts on the internet mitigate that somewhat. But I think that if I lived someplace like NYC, my polyglotery :) would be an asset in terms of that.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mistael
Groupie
United States
Joined 6765 days ago

48 posts - 51 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Russian

Message 10 of 94
19 March 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
I think the biggest downside is having people available to speak with in all of
the laguages you speak. I guess it wouldn't be so difficult in NYC, but
people are more closed when it comes to making friends there anyways. So
who knows. Not to be a bug but you spelled polyglot wrong..

1 person has voted this message useful

Siberiano
Tetraglot
Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6435 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 11 of 94
19 March 2007 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
When you search a job, many interviewers have the same prejudices and myths as those described in FX's article. Consequently, for some of them (%age may differ), it is a suspicious activity, unless you had an absolute necessity. "Normal" people can't do that, so they think there must be 1) uncertainty 2) dissipation of your energy 3) spending time at the expence of study/work (and nobody believs you don't like night clubs).

Edited by Siberiano on 20 March 2007 at 8:19am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6810 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 12 of 94
19 March 2007 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Regarding arrogance, I will admit that I feel some pride when I languages come up. I know there are other language learners far more gifted than I am, but I'm not that bad either, and I think that one can give themselves some credit without becoming arrogant. There is a healthy amount of pride, but there is also too much of it, and also showing it in the wrong way/place.

I don't know how many languages I'll end up learning; I don't really have a set number in mind, and hope I never have to set one. My friends know that I love them, some of them even know that its not just love but also an obsession. However, I never plan on going any more public than I have would have to. I don't want to set records or show off, and I'm not doing it for attention, although sometimes I like being able to speak a language to someone when no one else understands what's going on.

But another reason, besides wanting to keep my ego in check, of not wanting to make a big deal of being a polyglot, is because in many languages I hope to learn I might not be able to express things to the level that the person might expect. In other words, I want to avoid those impromptu tests; curiosity is one thing, but trying to poke holes in one's work is quite another.

In the times I have listed off the languages I can "speak" I usually include "Yes, I am fluent, but only after practice, after a couple of years it's gotten really rusty" or "X is very limited" or "I only studied X for a summer out of a couple of books, and have forgotten most of what it was I learned, and besides I could only read about 60% of a newspaper article, but my speaking and understanding were much worse" etc.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6644 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 13 of 94
19 March 2007 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
In the times I have listed off the languages I can "speak" I usually include "Yes, I am fluent, but only after practice, after a couple of years it's gotten really rusty" or "X is very limited" or "I only studied X for a summer out of a couple of books, and have forgotten most of what it was I learned, and besides I could only read about 60% of a newspaper article, but my speaking and understanding were much worse" etc.

I've started making a big deal out of the difference between the languages I've studied and the languages I know. I really only claim that I know three languages (English, Chinese, French), but I've studied more than five times that number. People aren't interested in those sort of details, though. They just want a simple answer.

And the biggest "problem" I have being a ployglot is that I don't understand when people ask me, "Don't you get the languages mixed up?" I had studied five or six languages before I heard this question, so I never understood why someone would say that. Unless, of course, they've never studied a third language before in their lives.

As I keep telling people, French sounds like French, Chinese sounds like Chinese, and they sound nothing alike. I don't know how I would get confused.

Andy_Liu
Triglot
Hong Kong
leibby.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6728 days ago

255 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, Cantonese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 14 of 94
20 March 2007 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Yes. I agree that humility is very important for a polyglot... and that it's better not to show off too much. There are always experts in every subject even though they treat their expertise as mere hobbies. And things will go wrong when they are being envied... To play safe, it may be better to say "I only understand a bit of language X" unless you have attained advanced fluency (this forum's index) in X.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6810 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 15 of 94
20 March 2007 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Raincrowlee wrote:
I've started making a big deal out of the difference between the languages I've studied and the languages I know. I really only claim that I know three languages (English, Chinese, French), but I've studied more than five times that number. People aren't interested in those sort of details, though. They just want a simple answer.

Is that ever true. And sometimes if I feel that I'm not going to be tested, I give them that answer because I don't want to go through the hoops and possible confusion of explaining that to them, which is almost certainly far more than the bargained for to hear!

Raincrowlee wrote:

And the biggest "problem" I have being a ployglot is that I don't understand when people ask me, "Don't you get the languages mixed up?" I had studied five or six languages before I heard this question, so I never understood why someone would say that. Unless, of course, they've never studied a third language before in their lives.

As I keep telling people, French sounds like French, Chinese sounds like Chinese, and they sound nothing alike. I don't know how I would get confused.

Maybe they mean code-switching, constanting going back in and forth between two or more languages in the course of a single conversation, or even a sentence.

I've never really confused two languages when I've heard them, but sometimes when speaking I've said things in Spanish when I meant to do so in German, and even have spoken in another language when I intended to do so in my native English.

Hey, possibly another "downside" of being a polyglot: speaking a confused creole-like language that no poor soul will be able to follow! :-)

curon
Bilingual Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6831 days ago

31 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*, Welsh*, German, Italian, French

Message 16 of 94
20 March 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged 
I have come across the assumption that you must be gay if you can speak several languages. I think this has been covered on another thread somewhere though

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version