32 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 9 of 32
01 November 2011 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
dashtan & rafti, am i right? (or not?) ;)
Good luck with Persian, I'm in this language challenge too. Just in a little bit different way, and, let's hope, a little bit longer. For at least 3 years in hopes for five ;)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 10 of 32
01 November 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
Hey,
you're right of course. And I'm glad you recognized them, it must mean I've typed them right :D

I'm curious: What's your motivation for learning Persian? And what are you studying with? Do you have any recommendations?

I hope to keep studying after the 6wc is over, but I figured it would help me stay motivated in the beginning.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 11 of 32
01 November 2011 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
My motivation? Hmmm... Hard to say. It's rather that I wanted to study something oriental, Chinese philology is only at one payable academy in the place where I live (though I've enrolled on Chinese course too ;) ), so I've decided to begin my Persian journey ;) Sources... Well, when you're learning philology, you don't need that many sources. I have "Persian grammar" by Lambton, I listen to BBC Persian or Voice Of America News to get use to language... And that's all I think. The rest is provided by our lectors :) (Luckily we have one native, what is not always obvious if it comes to such philologies)

Edited by prz_ on 02 November 2011 at 10:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 12 of 32
02 November 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
So you study Persian philology? Cool! Sometimes I wish I studied something a bit more exotic and fascinating than English philology...

BBC Persian and Voice of America sounds like a good idea, I'll look into those. So far I've only listened to songs and poetry and the occasional Persian speaker, so I think it will be useful to regularly listen to the language as it's actually spoken. Thanks :)

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 13 of 32
02 November 2011 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
Day 2.

Today I studied lesson 14, 15, 16 of easypersian.com.

Song of the day: پرنده غمگين by محسن چاوشي

I've learned where to put temporal adverbs in sentences and how to use possessive pronouns. I like the sentence drills. It's difficult at the beginning, but I'm getting a bit faster and think it will help immensely with speaking.

I also received the material for writing practice from the book Persian Language Course per email. آن کتاب را دیروز جریدم The book will probably arrive tomorrow or on Friday. I did the writing practice for lesson 1 and gained a better understanding of how to link some of the letters.

I recognised several familiar words in poetry, songs and the BBC Persian newscast I've watched: امروز - ایشان - صحبت - پنجره - نوشتن
And I learned two new words from songs: گرفت - پرنده

And besides, it's cool to see the similarities between English and Persian in words like baraadar (brother), pedar (father), maadar (mother), helps a lot with vocabulary acquisition. Yay for Indo-European languages.

It was a long day... (3 lessons per day may not prove feasible in the long run.)

Edited by druckfehler on 02 November 2011 at 10:05pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 14 of 32
02 November 2011 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Come on, English philology is not boring. At least you won't have problems like me - for several years I cannot go up higher than B2 (though in fact I haven't learned English properly and effectively during these years).
Btw., it seems that you know a bit more than me despite not studying Persian philology :D Nevertheless, I can drop you off some stuff I have and I'll have (vocabulary, scripts, etc.), if you're interested.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 15 of 32
03 November 2011 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Well, I wouldn't quite say that English is boring, but that exhilarating feeling of studying a language is gone. My English is by no means perfect, I still mess up the occasional preposition and can't be bothered to look up the occasional word I don't know, but I don't think it will get any better. But some of the English literature I'm reading for uni is pretty cool, so I shouldn't complain :)
Are you sure about B2? I would've thought your English is at least C1... And I'm sure if you read a lot of English books you won't have problems with reaching a higher level. At that point it's mostly a matter of language exposure, I think.

I've only studied Persian for 3 days and know 40 words or so, so I know next to nothing. I don't even know how to say "How are you? My name is..." yet :)
Getting more material would be great! So if it's not too much of a bother I'd be happy to get scripts and vocabulary from you. I could send you a couple of mp3s or so in exchange if you want.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 16 of 32
03 November 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Day ۳.

Today I studied lesson 17, 18 of easypersian.com.

Song of the day: چشمات by مهرنوش
It seems to be a song about someone's eyes.

So I've learned how to make a complete sentence in simple past and also how to use negation. And today I finally learned to count to 10.

My brain must be going into craziness overdrive, because it's trying to come up with all kinds of parallel vocabulary in my other languages. That shesh (6) exists both in Persian شش and in Hebrew שש is pretty straightforward. I guess it comes from Arabic? And to see a connection between Portuguese novo (9) with Persian noh نه or English ten, German zehn, Portuguese dez and Persian dah ده might still be a fairly sane idea. Even connecting German fünf (5) to Persian panj پنج might be justifiable by some obscure phonetic change, but seeing a connection between Korean dul 둘, English two and Persian doh دو as well as Korean set 셋 and Persian seh سه must make me a madwoman.

I received my book today and it looks promising, from tomorrow on I'll probably alternate between easypersian and the book.

Maybe I'll have a weekly revision day, I'm not sure if I can just keep adding new stuff every day and hope my brain catches up.

Edited by druckfehler on 04 November 2011 at 1:29am

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version