Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 17 of 32
04 November 2011 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Day ۴.

Song of the day: جستجوی سرنوشت by گلشیفته فراهانی
I now understand one line from the song: دختر زیبا = beautiful girl. :)

Today I studied lesson 19 of easypersian.com.

I learned objective pronouns and the numbers from ۱۱ to ۲۰.

I also did some more writing exercises with my new book. There are still some letters that I don't quite remember all the written forms of, but it's getting better. Cleared up my confusion between خ and ج

And listened to some more BBC Persian, just for getting used to how the spoken language sounds.

I now have a vocabulary base of 116 words. As usual I have trouble memorizing the verbs. Learning vocabulary will likely take up more and more of my study time, the more words I add to it.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 18 of 32
06 November 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
روز ۵

Song of the day: دختر ایرونی by اندی

Today I studied lesson 20 of easypersian.com.

I learned how to make plurals of nouns and how to use possessive pronouns in plural.

I also studied vocabulary (of course) and a lot of words have sunk in already. I'm surprised that I can add around 20 words per day and actually manage to learn them.

Because I made my Anki vocabulary cards in Persian and Korean, I'm sometimes noticing interesting coincidences where the two languages have similar words. The most striking so far is Korean 지르다 (djireda) and Persian جیغ زدن (djigh zadan), which both mean "to scream". There are a couple of other words that use similar consonsant or vowels and I'm wondering if there has been any mutual linguistic influence. But then again, it might really just be some random overlaps.

Also notable is that Persian and Hebrew do share words, but not necessarily meanings, an example is "shir" (Persian شیر Hebrew שיר) which means "milk" in Persian and "song" in Hebrew.

I also did some listening and reading exercises, notably chapter 1 and 2 of the Alphabet section of my book. I really like that section. They use minimal pairs, different words of the same root, pages with only Persian words and pages with Persian words and translation, so I can already get a first look at a couple of words I'll memorise later. I think it'll help to improve both my reading speed and pronunciation. Turns out I already know a couple of words they've used as examples, which is motivating.

Tomorrow I'll write down my first little story in Persian here :)

Edited by druckfehler on 06 November 2011 at 12:49am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 19 of 32
06 November 2011 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:

I've only studied Persian for 3 days and know 40 words or so, so I know next to nothing. I don't even know how to say "How are you? My name is..." yet :)

Okay, it seems that it's just a difference consequent upon different learning methods :)
I'll see about the scripts next week.
P.S. My name is" - "Esme shomaa/to chist?".

Edited by prz_ on 06 November 2011 at 9:58am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 20 of 32
06 November 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
روز ۶

Song of the day: کابوس by چاوشي محسن

Today I studied lesson 21 of easypersian.com.

I've reached the first of my goals, I can now count from 1 to 100.

I also did part 3 of the Alphabet lessons from my study book. My reading is still too slow, I'll have to try it again later.

My first Persian essay (translation exercise from easypersian lesson 20):

من دیروز به سوپرمارکت رفتم. من دوستم رو در سوپرمارکت دیدم. او تنها بود. او دو سبد داشن. او مقداری گوشت خرید. من گوشت نخریدم. من چهار بستنی خرید. او بستنی نخرید. او مقداری شیر خرید. من شیر دوست نداشتم. من دو توپ خریدم. او به توپ ها نگاه نکرد. او دو بادکنک خرید. من چهار بچه دیدم. انها چهار دوچرخه داشتند. ما چهار دوچزخه نداشتیم. ما دو دوچرخه داشتیم. بچه ها به بادکنک ها نگاه کردند. دوستم به آنها نگاه نکرد. آنها به بادکنک ها دست زدند. بادکنک ها ترکیدند. من به دست هایشان نگاه کردم. انها دو سوزن داشتند. پسر چاق دو سوزن نداشت. او یک سوزن داست. دوستم جیغ زد. بچه ها جیغ دزدند. آنها خندیدند. دوستم نخندید. آنها دوچرخه هایشان را بر داشتند. ما دوچرخه هایمن را بر نداشتیم. آنها پریدند روی دوچرخه هایشان. آنها به ما نگاه کردند. ما دیگر آنها را ندیدی

It took me an hour to type this and it was only a translation exercise, which I could double-check (and I had quite a few mistakes concerning the use of را), but I'm still a bit proud of myself :)

Edited by druckfehler on 06 November 2011 at 9:41pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 21 of 32
06 November 2011 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I still don't remember all of these number above 20. Have to get some...more ;)
And good that you've reminded me about this website - it should be a basis :)

Edited by prz_ on 06 November 2011 at 10:48pm

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5456 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 22 of 32
06 November 2011 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
P.S. My name is" - "Esme shomaa/to chist?"

I think, you meant است x اسم من (esme man X ast). You wrote اسم شما چیست؟ (what is your name?)

PS. Is there a way to magnify the persian script? My eyes ache, when I read it here.

Edited by Cabaire on 06 November 2011 at 11:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4716 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 23 of 32
06 November 2011 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Uhm, right. Thinking one thing, writing another.
Try CTRL + +

Edited by prz_ on 06 November 2011 at 11:22pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4725 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 

Message 24 of 32
06 November 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:

PS. Is there a way to magnify the persian script? My eyes ache, when I read it here.

Hey Cabaire, thanks for your comment. I haven't been able to figure out how to use bigger font size yet, not sure if it works. HTML doesn't seem to work. I've just been writing things in word and copying them here, but now that prz_ mentions it, the magnifying function of the browser seems like a better idea :)

Edited by druckfehler on 06 November 2011 at 11:54pm

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version