United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 94
24 May 2007 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
But when I read your log I see that there will be some real horrors up a head pretty soon :)

Perhaps, and I'm definetly not looking forward to that. However, I feel that I am motivated enough to be willing to push through (or at least try)

I'm not under much pressure to learn this language, so I'm also wondering where the motivation is coming from, because surely it is very strong.

After all, I don't know anyone else in my school who is willing (that is, who actually wants) to do outside work on their foreign language.

And the drill is 10 times better than before. Not nearly as mind-blowing as the first attempt.
1 person has voted this message useful

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 10 of 94
25 May 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged 
After several more repeats, unit 28 was out of the way.

Unit 29 started out a little hard with the introduction to indirect commands. But then, the practice drills seem quite easy.

I see another "ejercicio de coordinación" in the variation section. Good luck to me there.

I'm leaving for New Jersey tomorrow, so I'll get some time to study Spanish in the car (the scenery gets boring after a while).

Note: just a thought: the course blasted two compound tenses in one unit (27) and now it introduces the imperfect step-by-step, taking its time. I wonder why?

tuffy
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 6977 days ago

1394 posts - 1412 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German

Message 11 of 94
26 May 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
236factorial wrote:
I'm not under much pressure to learn this language, so I'm also wondering where the motivation is coming from, because surely it is very strong.

To me it almost feels as if there is something 'addictive' to learning a language. At first I studied Spanish to be able to talk to Maria. However, since long time it is now a hobby and there is a strong motivation inside now that makes me want to keep on going. It is also very nice to speak in a foreign tongue, it actualy FEELS nice for some reason. And when you're doing a lesson and you can actually reply to drills without thinking, that feeling is also very nice and rewarding. Not to mention understanding real Spanish on tv or in a song. (Even when there just still short 'beams of light', they are new and they show you that one day you'll enjoy the full sunshine :-)
So all these things plus the benefits of training your brain and the fact that a whole new world opens up to you (countries, people, culture etc.) makes language learning absolutely worthwhile, rewarding and fun.

Edited by tuffy on 26 May 2007 at 7:53am

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 12 of 94
26 May 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
tuffy wrote:
To me it almost feels as if there is something 'addictive' to learning a language.

I noticed that also when I first started french. At first, I thought I was going to fall asleep by doing the drills, since I had heard that they had a reputation for being highly unimaginative and boring. While this is partially true, I kept pushing on. I could not bring myself to stop listening from the tapes.

But, to think about it, how many "ordinary" people would actually be addicted to FSI's methods? I know that some of my friends would quit as soon as they hear the monotonous tone of the recorded voices.

MissMyChris
United States
Joined 6381 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 13 of 94
27 May 2007 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Quote:
At first, I thought I was going to fall asleep by doing the drills, since I had heard that they had a reputation for being highly unimaginative and boring.

I think that is ultimately the point. The only way you will learn a grammar point well enough to do it without thinking is to drill, drill, drill. That's one of the reasons (/I/ think, anyways) that FSI and other drill-based programs are so much better than many other programs.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 14 of 94
29 May 2007 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
The drills force you to say the language constantly, thus promoting faster fluency.

The journal:
Speaking of drills, the "ejercicio de coordinación" of unit 29 was much easier, and took half the number of repetitions as the one in unit 28. The present perfect construction is still not as strong as I hoped it to be, probably since by the time I find out with word to use as the auxillary (he, ha, etc.), the sentence should be completed.

So I go to unit 30, where I am welcomed warmly in the practice section by "debiera/podría haber -do". At first it looked formidable, but considering that the "haber" is always the same, the construction turned out easy. So overall, the grammar for unit 30 was light.

The introduction, on the other hand, was not. (Always something hard, eh?) The "Let's..." format is not letting the present tense -er "nosotros" form to entermy mind. After all, we have

n.f. comer
preterit: comimos
present: comemos
present subj: comamos
imperfect: comíamos

How cool/confusing is that? I'm going to make up a tense with the "we" form being comumos.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 15 of 94
30 May 2007 at 3:33pm | IP Logged 
(more complaining)

I've finished unit 30. I take a peek at U31 and I see the "tan...como" construction, which I'm sure to mess up by saying "tan...que" because in french, it's "aussi...que".
Then I see the present tense, which should be quite easy because that's all we've been doing in school for three years. And next...

The subjunctive... ahhhhh, this is going to be interesting.
What else? an "ejercicio de coordinación". Déjà vu.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6483 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 

Message 16 of 94
03 June 2007 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
I need to print out more of the course, so for now I'm stuck on unit 31. The subjunctive is a little easier than I expected; it was somewhat bumpy in the beginning, but soon it was smooth.

My speaking of the final exam for Spanish is next week. I hope I can speak well (that is, go beyond just getting full points).

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version