Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 25
01 June 2007 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
hmm my summer plans..

Korean: just use it at home... ^^

English: just use it in school...

German: learn new words with my flash cards, read a lot, enroll for class at Goethe Institut, read my grammar book.. basically loads to do..)

Mandarin: keep it going and study my Hanzi.

Sinhala: go on with my online course, practise whatever I learnt with my friends.

As for other languages, try to keep my passion for them down until I've reached at least basic fluency in Mandarin and German and intermediate level in Sinhala.. It's going to be a hectic job trying to suppress my love for Italian and Spanish when I'm listening to Andrea Bocelli and Il Divo all the time. :P
1 person has voted this message useful

DavidM
Triglot
Austria
Joined 6430 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 25
01 June 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
Here are mine ...

German: Practicing it should be enough.

English: Same here.

French: My reading and writing skills seem not to be that bad, but I wish I spoke French more fluently. So, I’ll maybe go for a language exchange with a native speaker.

Italian: I intend reading a lot in order to expand my vocabulary. I recently got myself the Italian Edition of “Ici, c’est le paradis” by the North Korean defector Hyok Kang.

Korean: I’m currently working on reviewing the Grammar and vocab out of the first volume of the “Integrated Korean” series, even though I already know most of them. After having done that, I’ll go for the second book.

Edited by DavidM on 02 June 2007 at 7:53am

Hollow
Bilingual Triglot
United States
luelinks.netRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6484 days ago

179 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, SpanishB2
Studies: Korean

Message 11 of 25
01 June 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
My summer plans: All about Korean

May 20th- June 13th- Study Korean following Sogang Lessons, 1 hour a day

June 13th- August 11th- Study Korean in Seoul with UPENN program

OneEye
Diglot
Japan
Joined 6795 days ago

518 posts - 784 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, Taiwanese, German, French

Message 12 of 25
02 June 2007 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
By the end of August I hope to be starting book 3 of China Panorama: Approaching Chinese and have a good handle on all the material from the first two books (speaking, understanding, and reading characters). I don't focus so much on writing, but I'd like to bring it up a bit this summer, so I'll practice more, but I don't have any specific goals for that.

MissMyChris
United States
Joined 6383 days ago

17 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 13 of 25
02 June 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
For me, I'm going to finish Pimsleur French II and III, learn all three levels of French VocabuLearn, and work my way through the French FSI course. Depending on where I'm at with my French at the beginning of July, I might start German for the next 6 Week Challenge.

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6848 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 14 of 25
02 June 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
German: use any possibility to speak German, read German newspapers (let's say, every second day), continue learning vocabulary with a flash-card programm, review grammar a bit, specially prepositions. If I get a scholarship for a German summer course, learn there as much as possible.

English: do something! ('Something' still needs to be defined...). Do a big review of grammar, practice pronunciaton with "English Pronunciation in Use", learn more vocabulary, do something with this horrible writing.

French: find a good method, maybe try "French in Action" or FSI, continue learning vocabulary with a flash-card programme. And start reading real French articles with dictionary.

Spanish: read much, learn better subjuntivo.

Maybe try to find some time for another language, specially Russian.

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7263 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 25
02 June 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
French: Read lots. Possibly prepare for DALF C1 exam.

German: Finish off Pimsleur from my library.

johntothea
United States
Joined 6573 days ago

193 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, Polish, French

Message 16 of 25
02 June 2007 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Spanish: Go through my book of 6,000 words and [try] to learn all of them. More practice with all of the tenses. Reading and watching TV. My teacher next year is a non-native. She's italian, and according to her profile on my highschool's website, she's only been speaking Spanish for 3 years. I know it's pretty unrealistic, but I want to speak Spanish as well as her when I walk into those doors. I want to learn all of the intricasies [I'm sorry I probably spelled it wrong] of Spanish grammar, and be able to use it like a native. Then long term, onto slang and idioms.

French, Italian, Afrikaans, Russian: Try to get to an intermediate level. Well...at least for French and Italian. I'll be quite happy if I'm at an intermediate level in French and Italian and a high beginner in Afrikaans and Russian.

Swedish, Korean: If I have the motivation, try to bring these up to a high beginner level.

Languages of the future [[right after summer]]: After I get my French and Italian to an intermediate level, and my Afrikaans, and Russian to at least a high beginner level, but hopefully intermediate, I hope to start Portugese, or maybe an Asian language. I'll either ride it out to fluency with Korean, or start anew with Japanese. Or if after all of this language study over the summer, I find a strategy to learn languages more efficiently, maybe both, or even all three.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version