United Kingdom
Joined 6574 days ago

86 posts - 91 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Esperanto

Message 17 of 25
02 June 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
I have left German alone for several months and have forgotten a lot so would like to go back and finally the Michel Thomas advanced course and beyond and there is even a possibility of spending some time Germany.

I may also have time taken up by the new 6 Week Challenge
1 person has voted this message useful

CaoMei513
United States
Joined 6699 days ago

110 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 18 of 25
02 June 2007 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
My goals are to mainly get ready for my study in China (which is at the end of the summer) by:

1. listening to lots of Mandarin radio, podcasts, audio lessons, etc.

2. Reading wikipedia articles, magazines, forums, etc

3. Speaking to my chinese boyfriend as much as possible

And well, just doing anything I can to make my Chinese better.

Raincrowlee
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6556 days ago

621 posts - 808 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin, Korean, French
Studies: Indonesian, Japanese

Message 19 of 25
02 June 2007 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Now that I seem to have shucked off some of the distractions, my current plans are:

1. Mandarin: retaking the Thought and Society class so I'll have time to review all the vocab I've encountered in the past year and a half. I've needed to do that for some time. Also, get at least three articles a week from the Internet for their vocabulary.

2. Indonesian: since my girlfriend is returning next week, put the studying I've been doing to good use and talk to her in Indonesian. Plus, finish TY Indonesian, then review my vocab list.

3. German: review Assimil German with Ease so I can have more meaningful conversations with my roommate.

4. Russian: review the first year of the Princeton course and TY Russian, and force myself to start speaking (at least to myself) in Russian. If successful, then I can get a language exchange that will actually help me.

5. French: simple. Force myself to start speaking the language. Everything else is in good shape, but if I can't speak, then I can't really use it.

6. Taiwanese: finish Elementary Taiwanese for Foreigners and see if that gives me enough vocab to practice on my coworkers.

My goal for the year is to "graduate" from my current material in all my languages; i.e., learn the material well enough so I don't need to review them anymore, and maybe even pass them along to the next person who wants them. My summer goals are part of that plan.

Edited by Raincrowlee on 02 June 2007 at 10:03pm

HaseLiebhaberin
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 6268 days ago

16 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: Persian, English*, Spanish, German

Message 20 of 25
06 June 2007 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
My goals for the summer are are follows:
1. Finish/learn all the words in "Kaleidoskope" (the AP German textbook we use in school). I'm learning on my own, so I was able to borrow it over the summer. yay me!
2. Buy a German language music CD. Perhaps a Xina Stuermer or KLEE. RAMMSTEIN IS WORKING ON A NEW ALBUM I THINK I'LL BUY IT ONLY FOUR DAYS BEFORE IT COMES OUT YAY!

Lemus
Diglot
United States
Joined 6235 days ago

232 posts - 266 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese, Russian, German

Message 21 of 25
07 June 2007 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
For me:
Spanish: Learn at least a few hundred words of my 6000 Spanish words book. Read BBC Mundo everyday, and try to watch Spanish television.
Japanese: Reach lesson 100 of JapanesePod101 and learn the hiragana
Turkish: Complete up to lesson 20 of FSI

I will also try to listen to as much music in these languages as I can

cymro
Triglot
Groupie
Wales
Joined 6308 days ago

76 posts - 98 votes 
Speaks: English*, Welsh, French
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 22 of 25
07 June 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Well I have abandoned Turkish as my trip there has been cancelled. I can't see the point if I am not going to get the opportunity to use it. I only started because of the trip.

I am ploughing ahead with Spanish. Two weeks in and I can follow Harry Potter because of my French and my poor school Latin. A week ago I got the audiobooks and I am beginning to get to the point where I can understand some of what is happening.

I have finished the basic Michel Thomas all but the last CD which I don't have. ( Newspaper freebies a year ago which I stored away)

I am now tackling Soanish through the French Asimil course. I'd like to go through it in under two months if I can because I then want to do Catalan Assimil through the medium of Spanish. Assimil seems to fit my style of language learning.

The two languages like this may be a bit too ambitious but I will see how it goes. I have a trip to catalonia in the autumn and I would really like to have some basic knowledge under my belt.

So far the Spanish is going quite well. I feel a sort of switch that comes on in my head when I can converse in a language. It present in Spanish it is hovering. I can produce sentences and them I have to stop because I don't have enough vocabulary . But it is early days yet. It is a weird thing once I have enought vocab and grammar I am off. No hesitation it just flows.A t least that is what has happened in the past. I am putting it to test here I suppose and I will see if I really can get fluent quickly.

I may look at the book that has been mentioned that lists words in order of use. After Assimil I think.

I am wondering probably with vain hope whether a trip to northern Spain might be possible in August.

Getting up to basic conversational level in these two should be enought of a task for the summer.

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6472 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 23 of 25
07 June 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Korean: This June, I'll hopefully finish all 5 Korean picture story books that I have. And then of course, move up to some more difficult reading material for the Korean language.

My other goals for the summer will be to lose 10 lb. through bike riding and swimming. And if I have enough money saved up, I may order some more technical books to learn some other things like bicycle repair or electronics. I know that after I get really good with Korean, I'll have to learn some job skills to make a living back in America.

236factorial
Triglot
United States
Joined 6394 days ago

192 posts - 213 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin, English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 25
09 June 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Chinese: It's my parents' native language, and I can speak it very well, but I need to learn more vocab and to write it. That will be my central focus.

Spanish: I will finish the programmatic course and move on to the basic course. Whether I will finish that, I don't know.

French: I think it's safe to say that I've quit this language for now. How sad :(

English: To not get killed in 10th grade honors english, I better write at least 500 words this summer...

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version