reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6299 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 30
12 June 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Have fun and do as you please. Serpent, my suggestion is to watch a movie or do something fun during a break from your obligations (term paper) and you have time till June 21. Jiwon, bring your MP3 player to Korea. I'm sure you'll have a little dead time over there. Twenty minutes a day and you're still in the challenge (if that's the most you can afford). It's a long plane ride there and back. Bring your flash cards as well.

The point of the challenge is to try and do more than you usually would in these situations.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6288 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 30
12 June 2007 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion reineke. The only risk is of me losing the cards, as I'm always dropping stuff here and there (last year, I left my stamp album, my watch and spectacles in Korea, which had to be shipped back). But I'll try not to lose them... fingers crossed..

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6291 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 11 of 30
12 June 2007 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
I like this idea, because it doesn't involve any rules,or any "experiments" like the 6WC.
This summer is planned of course for German, watching TV and reading.If I work harder than usual I may even get to fluency this summer!
I don't know if I'll have the time to post about my accomplishments everyday though.Just 2 questions
When is the first day of summer?
How do you decide who spent the most time learning a language?

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6755 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 30
12 June 2007 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
I like this idea. And it really doesn't matter when the first day of summer is and who wins - we're all winners :). Actually, I started my "Total Annihilation" unconsciously a few days ago... I decided to spend this summer learning mostly German, and some French and English as well... and I'm just realizing my plan now (what's a pity I still have some exams at the university and they're not necessarily languages ;).

sergiu
Diglot
Romania
freewebs.com/invata_
Joined 6291 days ago

105 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, English

Message 13 of 30
12 June 2007 at 7:13am | IP Logged 
You're right it doesn't matter ,so I'll start learning more as of tomorrow.Let's just hope we'll all be winners.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6288 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 30
12 June 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged 
Let's all be fluent in our languages.. :-)
Anyway, I'm hoping I'll be fluent in German before I become 17 in January, so that I'll be able to start seriously on Mandarin and Italian.
This summer will get me closer to that goal... ;)

sparky
United Kingdom
spqr-game.co.uk/
Joined 6580 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 15 of 30
12 June 2007 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
I'm in, although Summer starts for me in a few weeks. It's not like I'm going to run out of Chinese characters to learn over the summer.... ;-)

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6299 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 

Message 16 of 30
12 June 2007 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Sergiu, Julie, others, you've got the right spirit. Jiwon, copy your precious flashcards, you'll remember better and if you lose them it won't be a problem. Burn your mp3's onto a cd. Did you check vorleser.net for free German audiobooks? Sergiu, I did write two jumbo posts that contain answers to your questions. June 21 was my idea of a start date for those who like strict(er) rules. Since a few have ants in the pants to start early (which is a good thing) if you want to stretch it, we can consider summer from um, Friday the 15th (let's give others a little warning) until the end of September. It's "allowed" lol and the results can only be better because of it. Whoever has not made up his mind till Friday will have to work harder to catch up later. If you manage to work hard all summer you'll be so glad about the results that you won't care for the grand prize of dorkster extreme. It is very important to keep a detailed "diary" of your progress for the benefit of others and yourself, so you can see later where you wasted time, what was effective etc. You don't have to do it on a daily basis but do take note of what you did, how many hours you approximately worked that week, how you waste your time, what can you do about it etc. Do not turn the challenge into a chore or it will be a losing battle from the start. Pen and paper can help if you don't want to log in often. This challenge is about pushing the envelope and therefore the puerile title. If you plan to take it easy, go about your usual business and maybe do a course the 6WC would be a more appropriate venue. This one is for language warriors grrr... :)

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version