egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 82
22 June 2007 at 3:30am | IP Logged 
21st, 65 minutes, breaks down into 35 mins of MT advanced, disc 1 parts b-h, 10 mins doing around 100 flashcards and 20 mins listening to podcasts.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sexton Blake
United Kingdom
sextonblake.co.
Joined 6333 days ago

12 posts - 12 votes

Message 10 of 82
22 June 2007 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Hi

I'm fascinated by your 100 flashcards in 10 mins. Are they 100 cards with words you're already familiar with, new words, or a mix of both?

I'm a begiiner - learning Spanish - and find that I can assimilate about 20 - 30 new words a day with flashcards. At the end of each day, the words I'm sure I've retained are added to the ever expanding 'review' stack, while the words that I haven't properly memorised remain in the 'active' stack, to which 20 new words are added the following day. I go through the review stack once or twice a week and anything I don't remember is removed and made 'active' again. That's a surprisingly rare occurence... the system seems to work very efficiently!

I'm off to Spain in a couple of weeks and will be taking a box of blank cards with me. Reckon they'll soon be filled with new words and expressions!

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 11 of 82
22 June 2007 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
they are all words i am familiar with, i think i said earlier that they are all taken from the transcript of the Michel Thomas beginner course, and inputted into Supermemo, which decides how often i do them. Think i have 850 flashcards currently, mainly in sentences, but sometimes just words. starting to do quite well with them, just a few bits i need to look at, like whats the english for hay, starting to remember it more often though. anything else just ask, nice to see someone is actually reading it.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 12 of 82
24 June 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
22nd, this was a good day, only 75 minutes, but some real progress, some of which can be read here, spent 20 minutes on the bbc mundo site, enjoyed being able to "read" the articles, and will definitely try and do this every day as part of my new rounded approach, with podcasts, MT and flashcards. The bbc mundo site will definitely be a good stepping stone to reading books in the language, i hope, as i doubt that it uses a vast vocabulary, and the bbc news site is something i look at everyday in english anyway.

flashcards took 13 mins today, 12 mins listening to podcasts and 30 mins with MT. Cant do long MT stints at the minute, his voice is starting to annoy me a bit at the minute.

23rd, after all the joys of the 22nd this was a joke, i knew i was going out in the afternoon for a few drinks and never really got round to starting, didnt even finish my flashcards. It was a definite not in the mood day, did 10 mins total, 5 mins of flashcards and 5 mins on bbc mundo. and the 24th isnt looking much better, that will be reported tomorrow.

any comments or advice, id be happy with the feedback, even if it is just on how the log is constructed. thanks

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 13 of 82
25 June 2007 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
24th, another shocker, was hungover so didnt really feel like doing anything. ended up just doing my flashcards at 11pm, if i missed them another day i would have so many to do, in the end they took 30mins and that was all i did. Hopefully i get to do more today, definitely have some catching up to do.

I read Voltes log, and im impressed with his work ethic, and the effort he puts in, 3 hours everyday, covering six languages, sometimes reading one while listening to another. And making very good progress as well. Definitely puts even my best efforts to shame. Hope to try and hit two hours today, that is my main aim, and i hope that time is split between MT, podcasts, supermemo and BBC Mundo.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 14 of 82
25 June 2007 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
egg_uk wrote:

I read Voltes log, and im impressed with his work ethic, and the effort he puts in, 3 hours everyday, covering six languages, sometimes reading one while listening to another. And making very good progress as well. Definitely puts even my best efforts to shame. Hope to try and hit two hours today, that is my main aim, and i hope that time is split between MT, podcasts, supermemo and BBC Mundo.

It's cool that someone's reading it :)

Work ethic has traditionally been an area that I'm weak in - my natural method is to concentrate intensely (I used to sometimes read over a dozen books a day when I was younger), but in short bursts (ie, over days or weeks, and flitting between subjects, not over months or years). This is very much an experiment in a different style for me.

Minor point: I'm female, not male.

Good luck with your Spanish! I've been reading your log too, and you're trying every day, and some days, putting in a pretty solid amount - and, admirably, you don't let your setbacks or off days keep you down. You're doing some good stuff with it, and already tackling trying to read news in Spanish; keep it up!

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 15 of 82
25 June 2007 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Volte. Many apologies for the gender presumption.I am weak in work ethic, doesnt surprise me or get me down trodden if i dont achieve my two hour target. But it does annoy me when i look at my flashcards and i cant, for the life of me, remember the answer, if i get two like that in a row then i take a ten minute break from them, that often helps. Thanks for reading my journal, not the most informative of reads, but does help me to make sure i do at least some Spanish everyday

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 16 of 82
25 June 2007 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
egg_uk wrote:
Volte. Many apologies for the gender presumption.

No problem; I'm extremely accustomed to it. It's an assumption many people make online, all the more often on the more technical places I frequent.

egg_uk wrote:

I am weak in work ethic, doesnt surprise me or get me down trodden if i dont achieve my two hour target. But it does annoy me when i look at my flashcards and i cant, for the life of me, remember the answer, if i get two like that in a row then i take a ten minute break from them, that often helps. Thanks for reading my journal, not the most informative of reads, but does help me to make sure i do at least some Spanish everyday

I'm glad it helps. The information about taking a break from the flashcards helping is interesting.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version