SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 82
29 June 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
You could "learn" the new words passively by reading/listening to the right sentences, and when you feel that you "have them", you can enter the words into your program for future reference and/or translation into the target language.

Ten words a day isn't too much (I've heard that Assimil teaches 5-6 words per lesson, i.e. per day, and that's pretty painless).
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6382 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 26 of 82
29 June 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
You could "learn" the new words passively by reading/listening to the right sentences, and when you feel that you "have them", you can enter the words into your program for future reference and/or translation into the target language.

Ten words a day isn't too much (I've heard that Assimil teaches 5-6 words per lesson, i.e. per day, and that's pretty painless).

Learning most words passively is by far my preferred method. Having a higher chance of actually using them correctly in context is a bonus.

Assimil teaches more than 5-6 words per lesson. There are ~100 lessons per course, and it teaches a -lot- more than 500 words. Isn't it closer to 2000?

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 82
30 June 2007 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Yes, you're right. I was thinking of the first five-six lessons mentioned in another thread where Fanatic had done a word count... and checking that thread once again, I found that I was totally wrong:

Fanatic wrote:
I have just done a word count for the first four lessons of Italian Without Toil.
Lesson one introduced 29 new words.
Lesson two introduced 22 new words.
Lesson three introduced 30 new words.
Lesson four introduced 29 new words.

(Assimil versus US language programs)

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 82
30 June 2007 at 8:32am | IP Logged 
29th, 106 minutes, quite good seeing as i had a headache till 11pm. Some more progress with MTadv, 31 minutes on that, 25 minutes on 2 different textbooks. The practice makes perfect book looks like it is going to be very useful. Started one of the new books i received, Jeffrey Deaver, translated some of it, didnt seem too hard, just going to be a struggle with all the technical words, but it should help my understanding of the languages, and i have read it in english.

After i started so late i forgot to do any flashcards or BBC Mundo, so i think i should Mea Culpa for that. Otherwise quite happy with the work, and the progress.

Also listened to some podcasts.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 29 of 82
01 July 2007 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
30th, about 20mins MEA CULPA, was not in the mood at all yesterday, was trying to find a good Spanish radio station, but kept finding ones with loads of english songs. So i will have another look today, also got to find which area of spain to find the station at that has the most neutral accent. Shocking day really, kept starting things and not following them through. Well onto the next day.

reineke
United States
https://learnalangua
Joined 6390 days ago

851 posts - 1008 votes 
Studies: German

Message 30 of 82
01 July 2007 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
Try radio uno (Spanish). I'd also like to know a few talkie stations as well.

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 31 of 82
02 July 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged 
1st, 135 mins, very happy with this effort, didnt start until later in the day, in fact i wasted most of the day. I spent 29 mins on MT, think i should spend more time a day on MT, flash cards took 31 minutes as i hadnt done much on them for the previous 2 days. Think its about time i did another final drill on Supermemo, some thinks need a bit of a bump. Spent 20 mins trying to learn a few words, spent 20mins on 20 minutos, which i found the link for on someone elses log, sorry cant remember who it was. And 35 mins trying to read a book i have, used the dictionary quite a bit and wrote quite a few words in my learning diary/book. when i am more comfortable with them i will add them to my flashcards.

Edited by egg_uk on 02 July 2007 at 6:46am

egg_uk
United Kingdom
Joined 6361 days ago

203 posts - 204 votes 

Message 32 of 82
03 July 2007 at 6:43am | IP Logged 
2nd, 166 minutes. 32 minutes was working with MT adv, 50 minutes listening to podcasts, 8 minutes on flashcards on Supermemo, 30 minutes doing a final review on Supermemo, and 16 minutes making new flashcards. 20 minutes looking at Spanish language websites, and looking up several words which ive noted down and will be added to my flashcards in time. And 10 minutes working on a Spanish language book. Very happy with my time, thought 50 minutes of podcasts is passive, but does help my learning. Final review brought up that there are quite a few words in it that i dont know, so i think i will try and do a final review every couple of weeks.

as a side note, quite happy today as i passed my driving test first time with only 2 minors, probably should have taken the test when i was younger, 23 now, but never needed to drive.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version