Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6837 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 1 of 217
14 June 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
There are many websites of language exchange but I was thinking of creating a language exchange thread on this forum. Just write the languages in which you want to talk and if there's someone interested, he can you send a PM (and vice versa).

So I would like to practice my English and German (basic fluency), Spanish (after a break I don't speak it really well, I need some practice), very little French :).

I can help you with your Polish and, to some level, with your German.

It doesn't matter if you're native speaker or you're intermediate - we can do a real "exchange" but we can also just practice the language together :). If you're using French in Action now, it would be fun as well to "inventer une histoire" ;).
3 persons have voted this message useful

sumabeast
Diglot
United States
Joined 6860 days ago

212 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 2 of 217
14 June 2007 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
BTW I've heard of Sype, but just how does one use it to practice target language? I thought it was just for international phone calls.
1 person has voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6373 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 3 of 217
14 June 2007 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
sumabeast wrote:
BTW I've heard of Sype, but just how does one use it to practice target language? I thought it was just for international phone calls.

It allows two or more people to speak, orally, for free over their internet connections. Hence, you can speak to people, in any part of the world, (trying to) speak in any language.

People exchange skype contact details for language exchanges, call each other (possibly at an agreed time, or whenever both are online), and then speak whichever languages they've agreed on.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6373 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 4 of 217
14 June 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
I'm able to talk to anyone in English, my native language. I'm willing to do asymmetric language exchanges, which are mostly (but not 100%) in English, especially if the other language is not Italian. I'm able and willing to make corrections, albeit without much grammatical explanation, or to just talk freely.

I'd like to practice Italian, with people who are near-native or native; I make too many mistakes to be comfortable speaking it with beginners or intermediate speakers. People who are willing to make corrections are especially welcome, but plain conversation is also welcome.

People who are patient can help me with French, German, and Esperanto - I can manage a bit in each, but I'd hesitate to call myself conversational in any of them, especially orally. Anyone who'd like to help me pronounce French correctly is especially welcome!

I'd also like to practice Dutch and Persian, but I'm at a level where it would largely be pronunciation, basic vocabulary, and minimal smalltalk.

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6370 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 217
14 June 2007 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
I can help anyone with Korean or English. It doesn't matter if your Korean isn't fluent as we can always retreat back to English.

I'd like to get help in German and Mandarin. It doesn't matter if you are fluent or not. I'm quite happy with intermediate people, even though fluent or native speakers would be ideal. I just need to find a way to speak them. My German is better than my Mandarin by the way.
2 persons have voted this message useful

skeeterses
United States
angelfire.com/games5Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6552 days ago

302 posts - 356 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, Spanish

Message 6 of 217
15 June 2007 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
My Skype ID is skeeterses, the same as my ID on this board. I can help Koreans out with their English and they can help me with my Korean.

Nosantee
Diglot
United States
Joined 6606 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Japanese

Message 7 of 217
15 June 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I'd love to join, my name on Skype is Nosantee
I'm learning Japanese (Intermediate) and Spanish (Basic Fluency) and can speak English fluently

However I'm having a huge issue. I got Skype yesterday and for some reason everytime I call or get called Skype CRASHES! I've searched all over the net for a solution but nothing seems to work. Maybe one of you could have a solution? This problem seems to have been around for a good while for many.

Forgot to mention: I can still talk and you can talk back, but I can't see or use the GUI at all, so I can't physically type back. It crashes but the call still continues... very strange lol

Edited by Nosantee on 15 June 2007 at 9:43am

sumabeast
Diglot
United States
Joined 6860 days ago

212 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written)

Message 8 of 217
15 June 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
ok those explanations help.
another reason for me to get high speed cable connection.

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version