Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Russian keyboard layout. Recommendations.

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
mezron
Diglot
United States
Joined 6316 days ago

24 posts - 35 votes
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: French

Message 1 of 19
25 June 2007 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to decide what Russian keyboard layout to use. So far I have not learned any one particular layout.

I have the standard layout that comes with Windows XP.   The 'a' key corresponds with the Russian 'ф'. I've heard there is a phonetic version available which would be easier initially to learn. However, if I stick with the standard XP layout, then if I am ever using a different computer, it would be better to have learned the standard XP layout.

If the standard XP layout corresponds to the typical Russian keyboard, then if I am ever in Russia (possible, but not probable), then I would be familiar with the key layout.

Any recommendations or personal experience would be appreciated.

Jim

Edited by mezron on 25 June 2007 at 2:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mikluho-Maklai
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6539 days ago

46 posts - 47 votes
Speaks: Ukrainian, Russian*, English, Italian
Studies: Japanese, French, Spanish, German

Message 2 of 19
25 June 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried a transliterator ?
for example like this one:

http://translit.ru/

victor
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 7261 days ago

1098 posts - 1056 votes 
6 sounds
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, FrenchC1, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 19
25 June 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
I suggest printing the Russian layout from this web site:

Windows Keyboard Layouts

Post it by your keyboard and just learn the arrangement. It takes very little time to master.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 19
25 June 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I decided to learn the Russian layout, and got it after a few hours of copying the first chapters in our textbook. To my help I had a keyboard layout (open in another window), and as the words didn't have that many different letters in the beginning I learned the keys quite effortlessly.

I've heard stories about pasting stickers with Russian letters onto your keyboard, getting a special keyboard with both sets printed (A/Ф, S/Ы and so on) but I chose the cheaper way and it worked.

mezron
Diglot
United States
Joined 6316 days ago

24 posts - 35 votes
Studies: French

Message 5 of 19
25 June 2007 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
The transliterator is quite neat. But I've printed out the default Russian layout and taped it to my computer screen.    I'll just deal with learning the Cyrillic layout.

Thanks for the links and replies.

An'ka Banan'ka
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 6318 days ago

46 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Swedish, Russian

Message 6 of 19
26 June 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Here's what I did:
I was on zaycev.net (a Russian network for downloading free music) and I wanted all the mp3 files to be in cyrillic of course. So, instead of purchasing anything, I just drew out a diagram of the Russian keyboard. I changed every artist/musician and song into cyrillic using my "diagram."At first it was a really slow, irritating process, but after awhile the letters just began to stick in my brain ("J" = О, B= И, etc.). Now, because of doing that repeatedly, I can type better from memorization than my Russian boyfriend can! (Everytime he uses my computer--with English keys only--- he writes in transliteration instead of Cyrillic because he is so used to having the keys there to look at). I don't know if this helps, but it really worked for me and it has helped me immensely because I can now use any interface (English or Russian/English keyboard) without relying on the keys to be lettered. Does this make any sense at all???

Darobat
Diglot
Joined 7131 days ago

754 posts - 770 votes 
Studies: Latin

Message 7 of 19
26 June 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
I wish I learned the real Russian layout, but instead I decided to use a phonetic layout (a=а s=с, d=д, f=ф etc.). If you would like to use a phonetic layout, I installed the Cyrillic keyboard layout available from Fontboard.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6852 days ago

4250 posts - 5711 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 19
26 June 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Just as An'ka Banan'ka says, it is a slow process in the beginning but the most common letters tend to stick very soon. I can't say that I type as quickly in Russian as in English/Swedish/whatever, but I don't have to think so much before I type.

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version