Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 25 of 71
19 January 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Hi again, Paskwc! :D I was actually well aware of the law program at McGill. The only problem is that I'm a Canadian citizen enrolled in a U.S. high school, and thus do not have a CEGEP certificate. I'm not sure if that changes things for me, but it's definitely worth looking into. I'll be sure to ask for more details about that when discussing college options.
1 person has voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5791 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 71
19 January 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
Yawn, I myself studied law for 6 years. A law study means that you always study the national law of ONE country. I for example studied in Germany, so this was all about German law. With this study I wouldn't have been qualified to work in another EU - country, because there German law is not valid. So if you want to work in the USA, you should study law in this country. Or if in Canada, you should study law in Canada.

But, this is just an info, you have so many years ahead to make plans, so you have all the time in the world....

Fasulye

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 27 of 71
19 January 2010 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Yawn, I myself studied law for 6 years. A law study means that you always study the national law of ONE country. I for example studied in Germany, so this was all about German law. With this study I wouldn't have been qualified to work in another EU - country, because there German law is not valid. So if you want to work in the USA, you should study law in this country. Or if in Canada, you should study law in Canada.

But, this is just an info, you have so many years ahead to make plans, so you have all the time in the world....

Fasulye

Oh, I see. Thanks! I guess the country I'll eventually be studying law in will be one in which I'll have to permanently reside, so that will be a very important decision. Is there such thing as a common law that applies to the entire European Union, though? I often hear that for students studying law in the UK, they are also allowed to practice in the entire British Commonwealth, though I'm not certain if that's true or not. It would be great if something like that could be applied to the EU... :D

Edited by yawn on 19 January 2010 at 8:11pm

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5900 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 28 of 71
19 January 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:

Now for a random observation I've made after lurking around a little today: many of the posters here seem to be males.

Being one of the few members of this forum who possesses two X chromosomes ....

I am willing to bet you are under-estimating the number of female posters here. Many or perhaps most posters use gender-ambiguous names and do not post pictures of themselves.

Paskwc
Pentaglot
Canada
Joined 5621 days ago

450 posts - 624 votes 
Speaks: Hindi, Urdu*, Arabic (Levantine), French, English
Studies: Persian, Spanish

Message 29 of 71
19 January 2010 at 9:51pm | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:
Fasulye wrote:
Yawn, I myself studied law for 6 years. A law study
means that you always study the national law of ONE country. I for example studied in
Germany, so this was all about German law. With this study I wouldn't have been
qualified to work in another EU - country, because there German law is not valid. So if
you want to work in the USA, you should study law in this country. Or if in Canada, you
should study law in Canada.

But, this is just an info, you have so many years ahead to make plans, so you have all
the time in the world....

Fasulye

Oh, I see. Thanks! I guess the country I'll eventually be studying law in will be one
in which I'll have to permanently reside, so that will be a very important decision. Is
there such thing as a common law that applies to the entire European Union, though? I
often hear that for students studying law in the UK, they are also allowed to practice
in the entire British Commonwealth, though I'm not certain if that's true or not. It
would be great if something like that could be applied to the EU... :D

In Canada, there is a process for the accreditation of foreign degrees. Prospective
lawyers with foreign qualifications must be vetted by the bar associations of the
provinces they wish to practice in. In addition, the bar exam must be administered.

However, many Canadian law schools have orientated themselves to allow their students
to practice in America. For example, the University of Windsor has a joint program with
the University of Detroit and York University has a joint program with New York University. Similarly, some graduates from McGill and U of T practice in New York and Massachusetts.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 30 of 71
19 January 2010 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
yawn wrote:

Now for a random observation I've made after lurking around a little today: many of the posters here seem to be males.

Being one of the few members of this forum who possesses two X chromosomes ....

I am willing to bet you are under-estimating the number of female posters here. Many or perhaps most posters use gender-ambiguous names and do not post pictures of themselves.

Well, for the few profiles that I looked at, most had male names associated with them, so I assumed that there were more males than females. Of course, just like any scientist will tell you, this can very well be an erroneous conclusion due to the small size of the sample... :)

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 31 of 71
20 January 2010 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Paskwc wrote:

In Canada, there is a process for the accreditation of foreign degrees. Prospective
lawyers with foreign qualifications must be vetted by the bar associations of the
provinces they wish to practice in. In addition, the bar exam must be administered.

However, many Canadian law schools have orientated themselves to allow their students
to practice in America. For example, the University of Windsor has a joint program with
the University of Detroit and York University has a joint program with New York University. Similarly, some graduates from McGill and U of T practice in New York and Massachusetts.

Ooh, interesting! This makes me wonder if there's a common bar exam that applies to all the countries in the European Union. There probably isn't, but in a few years, who knows?

But for now, my foremost priority is to get my undergraduate degree - actually, no, to graduate from high school! Everything else will come later. I need to focus and do my homework now, haha

Edited by yawn on 20 January 2010 at 5:03am

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 32 of 71
21 January 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
By the way, do any of you guys know when to use the "Genitiv" and "Dativ" forms in German? I'm learning about them right now, but I'm extremely confused... Jiwon, perhaps you could help? :)

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version