United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*, FrenchC2, SpanishC2
Studies: GermanB1

Message 42 of 71
05 March 2010 at 4:47am | IP Logged 
^ Nice to meet you too :)

I definitely don't think I'm the youngest here either (I wasn't really sure of it in the first place); I see that there are
already quite a few other teenagers and pre-teens.
1 person has voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 43 of 71
05 March 2010 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:
^ Nice to meet you too :)

I definitely don't think I'm the youngest here either (I wasn't really sure of it in the first place); I see that there are
already quite a few other teenagers and pre-teens.
Which is awesome. Always good to see a ton of people our age into language learning.

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 44 of 71
06 March 2010 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Johntm wrote:
Which is awesome. Always good to see a ton of people our age into language learning.

Yay for us youngsters :)

Oh, on that note -- I often hear that the best time to learn a language is at our age, since our minds are still sharp
and we have all the time we want (okay, well, not necessarily, but very much so compared to most adults :P). Too
bad most people don't spend this period of time doing meaningful things.

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 45 of 71
06 March 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
yawn wrote:
Johntm wrote:

Yay for us youngsters :)

Oh, on that note -- I often hear that the best time to learn a language is at our age, since our minds are still sharp
and we have all the time we want (okay, well, not necessarily, but very much so compared to most adults :P). Too
bad most people don't spend this period of time doing meaningful things.
Ahh well, just more of an advantage for us I guess!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 47 of 71
12 March 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Hello, Yawn! I too am 15 but am a sophomore in high school, and not a junior... I am envious of your fortunate multi-linguistic and -cultural upbringing, although I did have a bit of the same myself. My whole family is Greek, so I have been exposed to that language since infancy although my native language is English and I really only started to actively study Greek when I was 12 (knew basics and how to read long before then, though). I also went to a bilingual elementary school for four years, which is where I learned my Spanish (supplemented by a couple years in middle/high school, most of which have been complete wastes of time).

I love learning languages too and am always pleased to see other members on here with such great achievements at my own age. I usually have to restrain myself from beginning to learn a new one...

I'm also amazed at your having achieved all of those certificates already. Last year I placed really high (they didn't tell me exactly) in the National Spanish Exam and got 6th in the US for French in my level on the National French Exam. That's not saying much, though, because my French level last year was made up of people who are mostly still incompetent in French (still the case this year). I will be taking the AP Spanish Language exam this May, and most likely will be taking the AP French one next year. I also hope to take the AP Japanese and German exams in two years. :)

About those other certificates, though, how did you go about applying for them? How much do they cost generally? Thanks!

--Philip

yawn
Bilingual Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5370 days ago

141 posts - 209 votes 

Message 48 of 71
12 March 2010 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
^ Hi Philip! Nice to meet you too :) Just out of curiosity, how many languages do you consider yourself to be
fluent in?

For the language exams, I'd recommend googling, say, either "DELF" or "DALF" for the French diplomas, "DELE"
for the Spanish diplomas, "Zertifikat Deutsch" for German diplomas, and "JLPT" for the Japanese Language
Proficiency Test (which is the official language test developed by the Japanese government; there are 4 levels of
proficiency, 4 being the lowest, 1 being the highest). The first few results should lead you to the official pages
for the tests, and from there you can click on "Testing Centers" and then click on "U.S.A." under "Countries", or
something to that effect. Then you can click on your state, and once you find a suitable location, you can also
find out what the testing fees are. They vary from test to test, but in general, the higher level you test at, the
more you'll have to pay. I took my DALF C2 French exam while I was still living in Singapore, and I remember
that it cost roughly $120 SGD. (Not sure what that converts to in USD; perhaps a little less than $100?)

Good luck on your language AP's! It looks like I'll have to leave German Language for next year, though, since I'm
not fully confident of my level and want to make sure I get a good enough score. I'll probably substitute it with
Spanish Literature -- after all, that's what I'm studying in my Spanish class right now :) I'm anticipating that AP
French and AP Chinese should be quite simple, though. Especially after surviving the HSK Advanced and the
DALF C2, they almost seem like jokes! :P

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version