Argentina
Joined 5566 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 57 of 71
14 March 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Wow, your thing is just impressive!
I'm a girl, age 16 and joined this forum at 15, just like you :)
I think I'm fine for my city, as it is a very "closed to new ideas" city. Though it is common that teens from middle to upper class speak A2 English, most of them just speak Spanish and struggle with basic English at school. I passed FCE (level B2) with an A (and I'm very proud of it) last year, as most of my class mates failed. Today I started the course for Cambridge Advanced. We are just two people in the class - me and a man the age of my father. Quite hilarious.
I'm planning on learning a new language soon. Last year I attempted to learn German by myself, but I think I need a foundation from a teacher before I start working on my own. When I move to college next year to a more cosmopolitan city I'll have more chances to learn languages. I'm still thinking between returning to German or starting French or Japanese instead. I've just started to listen some basic conversations in French and the pronunciation part seems like a pain...
Anyway, I'd love to hear more from you :) You seem to be an interesting person!

Edited by Carisma on 14 March 2010 at 3:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 58 of 71
14 March 2010 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
Carisma wrote:
I've just started to listen some basic conversations in French and the pronunciation part seems like a pain...

Oh, it's really not. It just takes a bit of getting used to. Like you, I started learning French from an English and Spanish background and it really helps. Although it might not seem so at first, French orthography is actually more regular than English! All of the letters are there for a reason and have some effect on the pronunciation (usually on the preceding letter) even though they might be "silent." I recommend just listening to a bunch of French and reading what you're listening to at the same time--that way you'll associate how to pronounce certain words and letter combinations better than any pronunciation guide in a book could explain it to you. Bonne chance!
1 person has voted this message useful

Carisma
Diglot
Argentina
Joined 5566 days ago

104 posts - 161 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC1
Studies: Italian, Mandarin

Message 59 of 71
15 March 2010 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Carisma wrote:
I've just started to listen some basic conversations in French and the pronunciation part seems like a pain...

Oh, it's really not. It just takes a bit of getting used to. Like you, I started learning French from an English and Spanish background and it really helps. Although it might not seem so at first, French orthography is actually more regular than English! All of the letters are there for a reason and have some effect on the pronunciation (usually on the preceding letter) even though they might be "silent." I recommend just listening to a bunch of French and reading what you're listening to at the same time--that way you'll associate how to pronounce certain words and letter combinations better than any pronunciation guide in a book could explain it to you. Bonne chance!

Thanks for your advice! I suppose that if I could manage to speak a very inconsistent language as English, my mind can assimil French as well.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian

Message 60 of 71
15 March 2010 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Carisma wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
Carisma wrote:

Thanks for your advice! I suppose that if I could manage to speak a very inconsistent language as English, my mind can assimil French as well.

Yes, you definitely can, especially given that most of French vocabulary will be either very similar to English or Spanish (or both) and that the grammar will be very similar to Spanish.

(Sorry, I keep accidentally hitting "vote" instead of "quote" so that's why your past two posts have been voted for.)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 61 of 71
21 April 2010 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Wow, Yawn, that is really impressive. A lot of people come from multi lingual backgrounds, but to have added a few extra languages at your age, that is fantastic.

I saw there was a discussion earlier on concerning a common European law degree. There is no common exam, but as far as I know, if you take a law degree in one EU country, it will be valid in any other country of the EU. You may possibly need to do some minor additional exam, but the degree as such is valid.

Oh - and I am also female - so there are not just men in here, :-)

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5283 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 62 of 71
22 April 2010 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I only recently turned 16 (last month). So you're not the youngest :)

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 

Message 63 of 71
22 April 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Smart wrote:

Oh, wow! I didn't realize you were so young too! I'm 15, by the way.

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5283 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 64 of 71
22 April 2010 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
Smart wrote:

Oh, wow! I didn't realize you were so young too! I'm 15, by the way.

Awesome. Young people unite !

This discussion contains 71 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version