Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 51
02 March 2010 at 1:50pm | IP Logged 
WOW!! I'm getting immortalized! (or rather my wordlist method is). I find this project very interesting, though for me personally writing things by hand is so important that I probably will keep on working on paper personally. But others might prefer working at their laptop.

The description of the project is just "Wordlist study tool utilizing the Iversen wordlist method adapted towards computer usage", and I haven't seen more specific project details, so I don't really know what the project will look like in detail. But transferring such a method to a computer has both negative and positive consequences, and conceiving a suitable interface will have to take the difference in working conditions into account.

In principle I can imagine a system where you choose 5-7 words in a target language (clipping or writing them). Of course it should be able to accept text in several alphabets and with a possibility for adding graphical/textual annotations (for instance the signs for masculine, feminine and one for neuter. When you know that you know all the 5-7 target language words you write (or clip) translations for each of them, and finally you have to write the words in the target language. Plus there must be a repetition section. The check on being able to recall a whole block can be facilitated with some hover-showme mechanism, and by adding some kind of hidden timescale you could also incorporate some kind of popup test (as in the dedicated RSR programs).

I'll of course follow this project to see what happens, but so far I'm not involved in it.   

Edited by Iversen on 02 March 2010 at 2:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 10 of 51
02 March 2010 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'll of course follow this project to see what happens, but so far I'm not involved in it.

Wrong. By giving suggestions you immediately became involved ;-)
Actually though, thanks for the suggestions because it'll help the product become better in the long run.
1 person has voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 11 of 51
02 March 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
WOW!! I'm getting immortalized! (or rather my wordlist method is).

I think it is more accurate to say that both you and your wordlist method are already immortalized. Recently someone on the Forum was using your name as a verb. All verbs have to be conjugated.

Conjugation of the verb "to iversen":

Present:

I iversen
you iversen
he/she/it iversens
we iversen
you iversen
they iversen

Past:

I iversened
you iversened
he/she/it iversened
we iversened
you iversened
they iversened

Future:

I will iversen
you will iversen
he/she/it will iversen
we will iversen
you will iversen
they will iversen

Etc:

I would iversen
I have iversened
I had iversened
I will have iversened
I would have iversened
I will be iversening

And of course, the most important form for all aspiring polyglots, the imperative:

Iversen!!!!

3 persons have voted this message useful

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5357 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 51
02 March 2010 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
Iversen wrote:
WOW!! I'm getting immortalized! (or rather my wordlist method is).

I think it is more accurate to say that both you and your wordlist method are already immortalized. Recently someone on the Forum was using your name as a verb. All verbs have to be conjugated.

Conjugation of the verb "to iversen":

Present:

I iversen
you iversen
he/she/it iversens
we iversen
you iversen
they iversen

Past:

I iversened
you iversened
he/she/it iversened
we iversened
you iversened
they iversened

Future:

I will iversen
you will iversen
he/she/it will iversen
we will iversen
you will iversen
they will iversen

Etc:

I would iversen
I have iversened
I had iversened
I will have iversened
I would have iversened
I will be iversening

And of course, the most important form for all aspiring polyglots, the imperative:

Iversen!!!!

I need to start Iversening...

genini1
United States
Joined 5403 days ago

114 posts - 161 votes 
Studies: German, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 13 of 51
02 March 2010 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
Not sure what part of speech this would be but
"I got so Iversened last night, I learned like 200 words!"
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 51
03 March 2010 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
I'm speechless...

Goodnight

Johntm
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5357 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 51
03 March 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I'm speechless...

Goodnight
Goodnight, and good luck Iversening (or would yourselfing be appropriate here?)

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 16 of 51
09 March 2010 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, I need your help.

I have joined ManicGenius in his project to implement this software. I put together a basic demo of how I think the software interface might work. However, now I am not so sure I completely understand the procedure for your word study method.

Here are some questions and comments on your description of your method in Message 3 of your thread:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=16959&PN=0&TPN=1

1. You say: "Blue: base language, red: target language.", but then you say that the first column (blue) is from your source. Is source the same as target? I assume you add these words as you read in your target language?

2. In the handwritten example a bit further down, the left column starts with "pactor". I assume this is Latin and is a target language. The English is presumably the base language. But the Latin is blue and the English is red, in contradiction to your statement: "Blue: base language, red: target language."

3. In your section titled Methodology where you have the two illustrations a) and b), I think I understand what you are doing when you add the new source words but I'm not sure. You say:

"So now you have three columns inside the leftmost column, and you are ready to proceed to the next block of 5-7 words. Continue this process until the column is full."

But in the illustrations, the column is not full but in a) you have gone on to columns 4 and 5. And in b) you have started a new 3-column section before finishing the first one to the bottom. I suppose it is simply a matter of showing a very abbreviated example, but that means it is not quite clear.

In general, I had to read sections on Methodology and Sources (the two sections containing the two sets of hand-written illustrations) several times before I was reasonably confident I understood the procedure. And now I am not quite sure.

I would suggest (only a suggestion; I know you are very busy) that you write the procedures for those illustrations as a sequence of distinct steps (1., 2., etc). That would ensure everyone, especially newcomers, would find it easy to understand, and then learn, your method. And it would help me and ManicGenius to build the proposed software program. Thanks.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version