Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 25 of 51
10 March 2010 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
You could make the button under column 1 a toggle key: hide/show

Either way is easy to do. I thought the "hold down the mouse button" was more in keeping with your idea of taking a peek. Probably we could have both functions.

Iversen wrote:
And maybe add a 'clear' button under column 3.

Yes.

The repetition round(s) will probably stir up a lot of opinions. Looking back at your earlier descriptions, I get the impression that you don't do very many repetitions. And the ones you do are generally within hours or a few days from the start. I take it you do not favour an SRS approach. If learning 7 words at a time is much more effective in terms of retention, then maybe an arbitrary revisit of something like one day, one month, one year might work. It is relatively easy to keep track of each word independently, especially for a fixed interval sequence like I just described. It is more complicated to base that interval on your assessment of how well you know each word (like Anki, etc., does).

I think we want to keep it much simpler, in line with how you do it on paper. I think all words and translations should be saved in an archive, but you might want a function to mark words as "Fully known - I don't want to see that word again". It probably would be easy to have a function to go through the whole archived list and "recall" any words you wanted from long-term archive, to be reviewed again.

An obvious functionality will be to switch to other language pairs (different database) for those who are simultaneously studying additional languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 26 of 51
10 March 2010 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Well I'll be damned.
I just added you as a developer yesterday and this is where it's at!

I might go in today and clean up the interface a bit, personally I'm a bit turned off by the coloration.

As for the whole "Clear" thing... I kind've intended that people would be able to write into that third column, except that actually I had intended them to test their knowledge by writing in the 2nd column.

Having written in the 2nd column, the program would check their answer and basically grade them. A hint button would be available if they didnt remember. Upon successfully completing all, it would essentially move the completed values into the first column and have a clear 2nd column for the second set. Doing this they would rinse and repeat until they felt they had learned the words.

I also want to add a randomization capability. But looking at the screenshots it seems tables were dropped. I don't know, maybe having a set of textboxes are far more easier to see/utilize.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 27 of 51
10 March 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
For further clarification:

It would be two columns, where during the first run down it would simply display the words for memorization.

Upon starting the testing process the second column would move into the first and leave the itself empty awaiting user input. (with that checking process). Also randomization if selected to insure that the words were learned and not the order. Maybe thats just me but I have a bad habit of remembering words in order, when I'd rather have them just in my memory period.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 28 of 51
10 March 2010 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
An obvious functionality will be to switch to other language pairs (different database) for those who are simultaneously studying additional languages.

I don't see a reason for this. You might as well mash them all up together.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 29 of 51
10 March 2010 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If you are going to make international versions then I may help out with some translations. But I'm not going to interfer in the programming.

OpenSource == Everyone's software.
Everyone == People who have different language needs.
People who have different language needs == Not English
Not English == A vast number of languages
A vast number of languages == My life goal

Edited by ManicGenius on 10 March 2010 at 11:00pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 30 of 51
11 March 2010 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:

Having written in the 2nd column, the program would check their answer and basically grade them. A hint button would be available if they didnt remember. Upon successfully completing all, it would essentially move the completed values into the first column and have a clear 2nd column for the second set. Doing this they would rinse and repeat until they felt they had learned the words.

That won't function. When the user prepares to write in the third column the first column with the original words must still be accessible - where else would you take a furtive peek if you needed one?

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 

Message 31 of 51
11 March 2010 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
That won't function. When the user prepares to write in the third column
the first column with the original words must still be accessible - where else would you
take a furtive peek if you needed one?

Hint button pops up a tooltip with the word that would normally occupy that first column
you're talking about. They're supposed to be working from memory, this forces that.

This requires moving away from thinking about a 2D workspace, and into one with many more
possibilities.

Edited by ManicGenius on 11 March 2010 at 12:32am

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 32 of 51
11 March 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
I might go in today and clean up the interface a bit, personally I'm a bit turned off by the coloration.

Sure. It does look a bit ugly.

ManicGenius wrote:
As for the whole "Clear" thing... I kind've intended that people would be able to write into that third column, except that actually I had intended them to test their knowledge by writing in the 2nd column.

I think, at least for the first iteration, it should follow Iversen's Method as closely as possible. After all, it is his method, and it has been proven to work well.

ManicGenius wrote:
Having written in the 2nd column, the program would check their answer and basically grade them.

I personally don't like computer programs that 'grade' me. They also insist you get the precise answer they had in mind. I think Iversen is quite content to answer any variation of the right answer, such as 'calm', 'still', 'quiet' or whatever word shows that you understand the target word, etc. The only source of the 'answers' would be what you entered earlier. You'd have to remember that exact form. I think you have to judge for yourself if you know it, just like Anki. And you couldn't have a pre-loaded bilingual dictionary.

ManicGenius wrote:
I also want to add a randomization capability. But looking at the screenshots it seems tables were dropped. I don't know, maybe having a set of textboxes are far more easier to see/utilize.

Maybe Iversen has a thought on randomization. You'd have to somehow decide what groups of words would be randomized. Yes. I like the textboxes because I use them a lot more than tables, but I'm flexible.

Remember, this is just a demo at the moment to get some discussion going. So everything is open to change.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version