Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 33 of 51
11 March 2010 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
tommus wrote:
An obvious functionality will be to switch to other language pairs (different database) for those who are simultaneously studying additional languages.

I don't see a reason for this. You might as well mash them all up together.

That would not be my choice. I guess that would be one way to invent a universal language.

Seriously, I think all users would want them separated. Anyone who wanted them mashed together could do that by just using a single database, but I doubt anyone would do that.

Edited by tommus on 11 March 2010 at 3:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 34 of 51
11 March 2010 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
ManicGenius wrote:
tommus wrote:
An obvious functionality will be to
switch to other language pairs (different database) for those who are simultaneously
studying additional languages.

I don't see a reason for this. You might as well mash them all up together.

That would not be my choice. I guess that would be one way to invent a universal
language.

Seriously, I think all users would want them separated. Anyone who wanted them mashed
together could do that by just using a single database, but I doubt anyone would do
that.

I do that with Anki. Doesn't bother me at all.

sik0fewl
Canada
Joined 5429 days ago

31 posts - 43 votes
Studies: French

Message 35 of 51
11 March 2010 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
Have the latest changes from the screenshots been committed? I'm not seeing them (or I'm doing something wrong).

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 36 of 51
11 March 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
sik0fewl wrote:
Have the latest changes from the screenshots been committed? I'm not seeing them (or I'm doing something wrong).

So far there is only one version of the 8 screenshots (Revision 19), which is the link earlier in this thread.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 37 of 51
11 March 2010 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I have been thinking over the prospect of having just two columns which first function like column 1 and 2 of the three-column model, later like column 2 & 3. I simply can't see any reason for this unnecessary complication, but several arguments against it.

You can of course program some kind of mechanism for showing the original target language words before the user writes the final target language version, but it would be much simpler and more intuitive just to keep the first column in the system, hiding it when necessary.

Peeking is of course a valuable part of the learning process (provided that you stick to the rule of running through all word pairs in a group before filling out a column). Therefore it should be made as simple as possible. And I do think that the analogy to covering a column with your hand makes the three column model more intuitive to the user.

And a randomizer? I think that those that really want to learn words in a randomized order would be using a SRS program like Anki or Supermemo, not a wordlist program with the emphasis on systematic 'harvesting'. Maybe they could use a transfer of words from this program to a text file that a SRS program could import, but that's in my opinion just frosting on the cake, not a central function here.

Edited by Iversen on 11 March 2010 at 10:54pm

sik0fewl
Canada
Joined 5429 days ago

31 posts - 43 votes
Studies: French

Message 38 of 51
12 March 2010 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
tommus wrote:
So far there is only one version of the 8 screenshots (Revision 19), which is the link earlier in this thread.

What I meant is has the code been committed to svn? I did an update and it still looks like the old version, not the version in the screenshots.

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5416 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 39 of 51
12 March 2010 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
sik0fewl wrote:
What I meant is has the code been committed to svn? I did an update and
it still looks like the old version, not the version in the screenshots.

He put his version in a different file. Don't run WordStudy, run three sheets or whatever
he called it.

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 40 of 51
15 March 2010 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Working version of Iversen's Method on the web.

I decided on a two-column version with full "peek". It is a very simple interface with very obvious functionality. But you will need to try it to see.

It lets you enter seven word pairs at a time, each pair separated by commas. Here is an example:

het paard, horse
het huis, house
werken, to work
de straat, street
het nieuws, news
Hoe werkt dat ding?, How does that thing work?
mogelijk, possible

Note that you can have more than one word on either side of the comma. Make sure there is only one comma per line. The format is unforgiving.

I think the best way to use this program would be to make comma-separated lists like these, and copy/paste them in, seven at a time. If there is interest, I may work on a better input method. But this one is very simple.

http://www.esdoornblad.ca/IversensMethodJSP

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version