Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
51 messages over 7 pages: 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 41 of 51
15 March 2010 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Good work!

However, could you make the separator ANYTHING else? For example / or ; or two spaces...
Commas are so common within my vocabulary lists, because hardly any word translates to
just one foreign-language equivalent.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 42 of 51
15 March 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
..and one little thing more: please write 'max. 7' instead of' 7' - otherwise I/we will be blamed for establishing a new 'rule of seven'. I have proposed 5-7 words in a group because that functions best for me, - fewer words if they are long and complicated, and in some cases more than 7 words if you for instance have several related words in the group. However it is fine with a fixed upper limit of 7 wordpairs in the digital version.

(and in the final version it must be able to accept 'foreign' letters: right now 'trillebør' becomes 'trillebør')

But apart from that I think I lost the connection back to my own system when the digital version went from three columns to two - for me the three columns are a fundamental part of the layout. The new layout may give the same possibilities, but I find it more intuitive to go from a L2 column to a L1 column to a new L2 column, which all keep their roles. In that way you would also save yourself the trouble of making a separate input mechanism, because you could input the words directly into the 3 x 7 matrix.

Edited by Iversen on 15 March 2010 at 1:43pm

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 43 of 51
15 March 2010 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
New version as requested.

These options are now available:

Input: Comma-Separated-Variables (CSV) or Tab-Separated-Variables (TSV)

Format: Two-Column or Three-Column

I understand the concern of CSV. My own lists have multiple additional translations separated by commas. However, in keeping with Iversen's philosophy, each word-pair should have just one meaning, not several. You could add the other meanings via additional word-pairs. However, some people may prefer the multiple meanings on a single line. So you can use TSV. Why TSV? That is probably the second most common separator, after commas. It is supported as exports from spreadsheets.

So such a TSV list could look like this:

mogelijk       possible, possibly, etc

where the space is actually a [tab].

In principle, I could provide for other separators such as / or : or others. One that is very difficult is a space or multiple spaces. So I hope most people can use either CSV or TSV. Let me know if you really need some other separator.

I hope to add the functionality of entering more than 7 word-pairs at a time. I think I have a very good approach but it will take some more work. I'll also make it clearer that "less than 7" is ok. It does say "up to seven" on the list input page. If you enter less than 7, then some rows will just be blank. More than 7 could be done but it may not fit on the screen. As it is, I should shrink the vertical size so it fits better on a 1024x768 page. The whole issue of different fonts, characters, etc from other languages is an additional challenge. I'll work on that.

http://www.esdoornblad.ca/IversensMethodJSP

Edited by tommus on 15 March 2010 at 9:40pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 51
15 March 2010 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for providing a three column version. Now I feel at home again.

I think that a slash (/) would be the best solution, - better than both a comma and a TAB (TSV). The problem with the TAB is that it only is visible as a broad space - it would be better with something more tangible.

Edited by Iversen on 16 March 2010 at 1:10pm

tommus
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 45 of 51
16 March 2010 at 12:00am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
I think that a slash (/) would be the best solution

OK. A new version is on-line with (/) as an additional option.

sik0fewl
Canada
Joined 5429 days ago

31 posts - 43 votes
Studies: French

Message 46 of 51
16 March 2010 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
CSV actually has a solution for allowing commas: you surround the field in quotes.

Check out the full description of CSV here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

tommus
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 47 of 51
16 March 2010 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Another new version with new functionality.

1. Enables input of up to 70 word-pairs.
2. Input for CSV, TSV and SSV.
3. Learning/reviewing in up to 10 groups of 7 word-pairs.
4. Switch to "Next", "Previous" or "First" group.
5. Enter more lists of up to 70 word-pairs.
6. Smaller, more compact size.

Be careful with the format of the input. Any errors will cause the program to halt. You will then need to go back to the previous web page and start over.

I tried to test everything but there are a lot of options. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Known issues:

Limited character sets.
Does not support scripts.

Any help or suggestions on these issues would be appreciated.

http://www.esdoornblad.ca/IversensMethodJSP/

tommus
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 

Message 48 of 51
19 March 2010 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
The web version of Iversen's Method was meant as a demo but it seems to have much of the required functionality, apart from providing for accented letters such as French and German français, deuxième, également, frãntseis, französische, Straßburg. Also, it does not handle scripted languages.

There have been no volunteers to help address those issues.I may be able to at least solve the accents problem.

Is there any interest in me doing any more work on this web version?

Is there any interest in developing a desktop application version? That would be easier than the web version.

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version