Groupie
Greece
Joined 5296 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 1 of 25
06 April 2010 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
What are the differences between standard Romanian and Moldovan?
1 person has voted this message useful

Danac
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 5271 days ago

162 posts - 257 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English
Studies: German, Serbo-Croatian, French, Russian, Esperanto

Message 2 of 25
06 April 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
i found some information on it:

"Moldovan (also Moldavian; Romanian: limba moldovenească), written in the Latin script, is one of the names of the official language of the Republic of Moldova. The language spoken in Moldova is identical to Romanian, sharing the same literary standard, but for political reasons both names Moldovan and Romanian are used inside the country."

"There are, however, regional differences in the colloquial spoken language. The Moldovan dialect/variety is common in the Republic of Moldova, as well as in Chernivtsi Oblast and Budjak region of Ukraine, and in eight counties of Romania, territories that once made up the medieval Principality of Moldavia. The difference between the language spoken in Chişinău and Iaşi and the language spoken for example in Bucharest could be roughly compared to that between Standard British and Scottish or American English. Others have argued that these differences might be found within any linguistic territory."

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5296 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 3 of 25
06 April 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Yes,this information is from wikipedia and it is very general.I need more specific information.Do you know any words in Moldovan that are not used in Romanian and vice versa?What are the differences in phonology?

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 06 April 2010 at 9:08pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 7079 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 25
06 April 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
1qaz2wsx wrote:
What are the differences between standard Romanian and Moldovan?

See here for some comments comparing the two.

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1211395
www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=22879
www.pcgn.org.uk/Moldovan.pdf

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6626 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 25
06 April 2010 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
I have not specifically studied Moldovan, but I visited both Romania and Moldova in 2006 on the same travel and spoke to local people in both places. My impression was that the differences in pronunciation were quite limited - and certainly not enough to bother me. I did notice that for instance some shop names were different, but that's just what you can expect from a language spoken in two countries. So if you have learnt Dacoromanian as it is spoken in Romania you won't have any problems in Moldova.

On the other hand Aromanian is so different that you will have trouble understanding it right away. The comparison betwen Standard English and hardcore Scots is more on its place here. I suppose this also applies to Megleno- and Istroromanian.

Edited by Iversen on 06 April 2010 at 10:42pm

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5366 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 6 of 25
23 April 2010 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I am a native speaker of Romanian and I can say that the differences between Romanian (Standard) and Moldovan or Moldavian (not a different language,but a dialect of Romanian), are hardly noticeable.
However, a big difference is observed in the accent, moldovans having a more pronounced slavic accent.
A Romanian can easily understand a Moldavian (although they use to speak very, very fast) and with a little (more) effort also Aromanian, which I think is more close to the Moldavian dialect than to the Standard Romanian.
In the region of Romania where I live (Ardeal), we also have a slightly different accent that the Romanians from Bucharest, for example. I find it funny when I go on holiday to different parts of the country and people in shops are asking me "where do you come from? you have such a funny accent!"

3 persons have voted this message useful

Smart
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5262 days ago

352 posts - 398 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*, Latin, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 25
23 April 2010 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
I believe it is the relation of American and Canadian English. Almost identical.

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5326 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 8 of 25
24 April 2010 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
mirab3lla wrote:
Romanian (Standard) and Moldovan or Moldavian (not a different language, but a dialect of Romanian)

Isn't Romanian a dialect of Moldavian?

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version