Joined 5374 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 9 of 25
24 April 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
mirab3lla wrote:
Romanian (Standard) and Moldovan or Moldavian (not a different language, but a dialect of Romanian)

Isn't Romanian a dialect of Moldavian?

Not at all. Romanian is the language, Moldovan is the dialect.
The Moldovan Republic used to be a part of Romania many, many years ago. And a part of Romania nowadays is caled Moldova, the Moldovan dialect being also spoken there.
The relation between Romanian and Moldovan could, however, be compared to the relation between American and British English.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5334 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 10 of 25
24 April 2010 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
No, I think Romanian is a dialect of Moldavian. Same way for example Bulgarian is a dialect of Macedonian. Just because Moldavia and Romania were once for a period a unified country doesn't mean that Romanian is superior in status to Moldavian. I might just as well call it all Moldavian and say the name Romanian is irrelevant. It won't make any difference. Your just expressing typical East European chauvinism where one country just because it is bigger thinks it has some historical god-given right to tell what is what to a smaller country. And I cannot go by and not criticize that.

Edited by Delodephius on 24 April 2010 at 4:48pm

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5304 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 11 of 25
24 April 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
mirab3lla wrote:

A Romanian can easily understand a Moldavian ... and with a little (more) effort also Aromanian, which I think is more close to the Moldavian dialect than to the Standard Romanian.

I have heard that Aromanians from Romania have two ways of speaking Aromanian.One is the way Aromanian was originally spoken in Greece (since this is the place where they migrated from to the province of Dobrogea,Romania) with a lot of greek words making it much more difficult to a Romanian to understand and the second way they speak it,is by replacing the greek words with modern romanian ones so that they are a lot easier understood by a romanian.
1 person has voted this message useful

mirab3lla
Triglot
United Kingdom
lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5374 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 12 of 25
24 April 2010 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Delodephius wrote:
No, I think Romanian is a dialect of Moldavian. Same way for example Bulgarian is a dialect of Macedonian. Just because Moldavia and Romania were once for a period a unified country doesn't mean that Romanian is superior in status to Moldavian. I might just as well call it all Moldavian and say the name Romanian is irrelevant. It won't make any difference. Your just expressing typical East European chauvinism where one country just because it is bigger thinks it has some historical god-given right to tell what is what to a smaller country. And I cannot go by and not criticize that.

Wikipedia agrees with me and with the knowledge I've gained in my 9 years of studying Romanian as a mother tongue in school:

Romanian is divided into several "graiuri" ('speeches'), delimited in approximately the following regions:

* the northern varieties - Moldavia, Banat and most of Transylvania:
           o Banat (bănăţeană) --- also spoken in northeastern parts of Central Serbia
           o Maramureş (maramureşeană)
           o Moldavia (moldoveneşte) -- also spoken in the northern part of Dobruja by settlers from Moldavia (including refugees from Bessarabia)
           o Ardeal (Transylvania) (ardeleneşte)

I'm not expressing any type of chauvinism, I just want to emphasize the fact that Romanian is the language, while Moldavian is just a dialect, almost identical to Standard Romanian.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Delodephius
Bilingual Tetraglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 5334 days ago

342 posts - 501 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Serbo-Croatian*, EnglishC1, Czech
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 13 of 25
24 April 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
There is no difference between a language and a dialect! They are words fashioned in early nationalistic societies. So what if you were taught something in school for nine years?! I was taught in school Kosovo is part of Serbia. The hell it is. Just because something is propagated by a state and written in a international encyclopaedia doesn't make it correct.

To me Romanian and Moldavian are two same languages and neither is a dialect of the other.
5 persons have voted this message useful

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5304 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 14 of 25
25 April 2010 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Dialect or different language,call it what you want,but what are the differences between Romanian and Moldovan in phonology and the vocabulary?Please,give some examples.

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 15 of 25
25 April 2010 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
There are differences, nothing too big, but they exist. I know plenty of people who've learned "standard" Romanian
and end up speaking Moldovan in the villages. A few examples off the top of my head:

- Switching "g" for "b" in certain words: vorgesc/vorbesc, fierginte/fierbinte, gine/bine
- Russian (or mutated Russian) vocabulary for household items, food, and other things (malina/zmeură,
kastrolia/oala, a ton of others). In many cases it's not a matter of using Russian vs. Romanian, you will hear people
say, when asked about using a Russian word, "if that isn't the correct Romanian word, I don't know what it is."

I'll post a few examples later when I get a chance. And, obviously, I'm not taking any position on the "is Moldovan a
language, a dialect, or simply Romanian?" debate.

Edited by clang on 25 April 2010 at 5:33pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 16 of 25
26 April 2010 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Here are a few usage examples from the "Пацан's Guide to Vorgheşti-ing", created by Moldovan Peace Corps
Volunteers. If you are doing research or something and want the rest, let me know and I can give you the email
address of the one of the authors.

Moldovan: Tocmajii trebuie să şiba şierbinţi.
Textbook Romanian: Macaroane trebuie să fie fierbinte.
English: The noodles need to be hot.

M: Copchilul neu trebuie să ştibă engleză ghineşor.
TR: Copilul meu trebuie să ştie engleză bine.
E: My child needs to know English well.

M: Unde te-ai propodit matale? Ai gasit o padrugă demu?
TR: Unde te-ai pierdut dumneata? Ai gasit o prietenă deja?
E: Where have you been lately? Have you already found a girlfriend?

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version