lang-8.com/220477Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5374 days ago

161 posts - 229 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Spanish, FrenchB1, Mandarin

Message 17 of 25
22 May 2010 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
The most notable differences are in the pronunciation:

- Standard Romanian has a pallatized the ş sound, while Moldavian hasn't, so that the consonant is pronounced more lively. This is observed at the inexistence of the differences between the plural and singular of the ş ending nouns in Moldavian (ex: ostaş being the singular and plural form of the noun in Mold., while in Romanian the plural being ostaşi). The same thing happens for the consonants ţ and j (ex. soldaţ-soldaţi, praj-praji)and also for z, but for this it happens in the literary form of words, so that if a Moldavian standard form of a word is seară, the Moldavian will be sară, or „mătasă” ( Ro: mătase) or z: „zamă” (zeamă).

-in some areas the sound č is pronounced like a ş : Şi faş? (Ce faci?

-the ending "ea" from the imperfect form of the verbs becomes "e" ( hardly accented) : vede, cite, scrie.

-the future forms „am să fac”, „o să fac” and „oi face” are often used instead of the literary "voi face"

-in some words, the labial consonant is pallatized. ex: ghini (instead of bine), chişior (picior), jin(ars) (vin(ars)), a hierbe and a şerbe (a fierbe).

2 persons have voted this message useful

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5168 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 25
25 July 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged 
I have friends from Romania and also a friend from the Republic of Moldova. My friend from the Republic of Moldova speaks with a different accent to my Romanian friends and when she is speaking to me she seems to use the same vocabulary as my Romanian friends, but when she is speaking to members of her family she uses quite a few words of Russian origin. Sometimes (but thankfully not too often) she confuses a Romanian word with a Russian word. I think that the differences in standard English and a broad Scottish accent are probably greater.
1 person has voted this message useful

Offizer
Tetraglot
Romania
Joined 5057 days ago

3 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Romanian*, English, French, Greek
Studies: German

Message 19 of 25
12 November 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
First of all, the Moldavian language doesn't exist. The Republic of Moldova had accepted the fact that they spoke romanian. The communist government in Moldova introduced this idea that they don't speak romanian, but moldavian, finding reasons to draw a line to separate the romanians living in Romania and the romanians living in Moldova. The differences in speaking and vocabulary are like those between american English and british English.

Second of all, I am aromanian and a native aromanian speaker. I know Greece's point of view upon aromanians, there have been and still are many debates on this subject. The aromanian and romanian languages are not that different as they might seem. The aromanian language resembles more the romanian language spoken a few hundred years ago, but a native aromanian and a native romanian would still understand eachother.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5304 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 20 of 25
12 November 2010 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
As I said before,language or dialect is not the issue in this thread but their differences.

Edited by 1qaz2wsx on 13 November 2010 at 12:08pm

clang
Groupie
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

54 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Italian

Message 21 of 25
12 November 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Now that this thread is revived, do Romanians in Romania say "oleaca de" to mean "putin"? I've heard it was
particularly Moldovan.

ReachingOut
Pentaglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5168 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, GreekB2, French, Romanian
Studies: Italian

Message 22 of 25
12 November 2010 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
My Moldavian friend uses "oleaca" a lot but I also have a friend from Romania who sometimes uses it. My Moldavian friend also uses "numaidecât" a lot, but my Romanian friend doesn't seem to say it so much.

pobere
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
language-learning-lo
Joined 5287 days ago

83 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Romanian*, German, English

Message 23 of 25
12 November 2010 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 

This was Moldova in 1483. In this region we're all using "oleaca" and speaking Romanian, and not a dialect.

1qaz2wsx
Diglot
Groupie
Greece
Joined 5304 days ago

98 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, EnglishC1
Studies: Russian, Albanian

Message 24 of 25
14 November 2010 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
That's strange.What is the etymology of the word ''oleaca''?It sounds a bit greek to me,like the word 'λίγο΄ ,older word ΄ολίγον', with the same meaning.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version