Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
clumsy
Octoglot
Poland
lang-8.com/6715Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5113 days ago

1116 posts - 1367 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Japanese, Korean, French, Mandarin, Italian, Vietnamese
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swedish
Studies: Danish, Dari, Kirundi

Message 9 of 21
10 January 2011 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
I think Greek is Harder, the spelling is inconsistent, the grammar is hard, Turkish writing is easy and grammar is very regular.
The vocab may be difficult with Turkish, but Greek is not so easy as well.

I tried to learn both of them, but nothing great.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ponape
Pentaglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5897 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Greek, Basque, Swahili, Tagalog, Arabic (classical), Quechua, Vietnamese, Turkish, Korean, Serbo-Croatian, Hindi

Message 10 of 21
11 January 2011 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
For me, being a Spanish speaker, Turkish is much harder because of the radically different word order inside a sentence. Take this sentence for example:

WWF-Türkiye'den alınan bilgiye göre, ''Akdeniz'de Kuraklık ve WWF'nin Önerileri'' adını taşıyan rapor ile Akdeniz havzasında yer alan hükümetler kuraklık konusunda uyarıldı.

According to the information obtained from WWF-Turkey, the governments of the Mediterranean basin were warned about the possibility of a draught by means of a report bearing the title "Draught at the Mediterranean and WWF proposals".

Litteral:
WWF-Turkiye-from taken-from information-to according, "Mediterranean-in Draught and WWF-of Proposals" title bearing report by-means-of Mediterranean basin-in area governments draught possibility was-warned

Edited by Ponape on 16 January 2011 at 8:40pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 11 of 21
15 January 2011 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
The last word in the example, a verb, is in the past passive and is better translated as "was warned" or "were warned".

The text is a good example of written Turkish, with its very non-Indo-European structure, its repeated use of present participles (typically ending in - an) and the verb going right at the end.

Edited by William Camden on 15 January 2011 at 4:09pm

Ponape
Pentaglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 5897 days ago

42 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Greek, Basque, Swahili, Tagalog, Arabic (classical), Quechua, Vietnamese, Turkish, Korean, Serbo-Croatian, Hindi

Message 12 of 21
16 January 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
You are right! The dictionary that I used confused me, I have checked again and "uyarmak" is "warn", so "uyarılmak" is the passive form. And it makes more sense to say that "governments were warned about the possibility of a draught".

I have changed it in my post, thanks.

By the way, the text is taken from a site of the US Defense Language Institute which has a lot of exercises in many languages: http://gloss.dliflc.edu/

Edited by Ponape on 16 January 2011 at 8:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 13 of 21
18 January 2011 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Ponape wrote:
You are right! The dictionary that I used confused me, I have checked
again and "uyarmak" is "warn", so "uyarılmak" is the passive form. And it makes more
sense to say that "governments were warned about the possibility of a draught".

I have changed it in my post, thanks.

By the way, the text is taken from a site of the US Defense Language Institute which has
a lot of exercises in many languages: http://gloss.dliflc.edu/

Useful website. I did not know about it.

Mithridates
Korea, South
pagef30.com
Joined 5611 days ago

21 posts - 36 votes

Message 14 of 21
23 January 2011 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Turkish is easier. Here's how it feels to learn Turkish as an English speaker:

Stage 1: this language is easy! Just take off -mak/-mek to form the imperative! Plurals
are regular! Var (there is) and yok (there isn't) is so easy! Fun fun fun!

Stage 2: this is when Turkish starts to feel really hard. Actually not so much hard as
that it doesn't seem to stick at this stage. New vocabulary is nearly impossible to
recognize and your brain doesn't want to put it in your long-term memory, word order is
weird as Ponape's example above. Most people will quit here. Keep going though and you
reach:

Stage 3: the rain stops, the sky clears and all of a sudden Turkish is one of the
easiest and most logical languages out there. Most other languages look ridiculous in
comparison with their irregularities. You don't need to be fluent to reach this stage,
but you will reach it once you internalize the way the language works.

In comparison with this most Indo-European languages feel more like a constant journey,
where you are always on the watch for some new irregularity or weirdness that you
haven't taken note of yet. At the same time you will recognize quite a bit of the
language even from stage 1 so your passive understanding will be quite good even early
on, but exactly when you feel fluent is kind of uncertain.
12 persons have voted this message useful

Gorgoll2
Brazil
veritassword.blogspo
Joined 5081 days ago

159 posts - 192 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 15 of 21
24 January 2011 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
The Turkish Ortoghraphy is one among the easiest of the world, Greek is member of the
hardest group. Turkish Syntax is aglutinative and near to Japanese , Korean and
Esperanto, while Greek´s similar to Indoeuropean tongues - Mainly to Romance.
Turkish words are fully stranger to English Speakers, while European languages has many
words derivated from Greek.
I personally, think Turish is easier, mainly for its granmar, but simple isn´t common.

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 

Message 16 of 21
26 January 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Turkish speakers still make spelling mistakes, especially the less well educated. Also, there are millions living in Turkey whose first language is not Turkish.
Re Mithridates, although my spoken Turkish is now quite fluent, I wouldn't say that the rain has stopped. Internalising this very non-Indo-European language is the hardest part of all for an English speaker.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version