Singapore
yourvietnamese.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4894 days ago

98 posts - 132 votes 
Speaks: Vietnamese*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 113 of 117
23 August 2011 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I think this is an interesting topic. I haven't thought about the 20 languages or know how to come up with this list but below are some of my thoughts on the languages I know.

I started with English, which I now find a nice and "highly intellectual" language as, in my opinions, it enables one to precisely convey ideas through a simple yet fully adequate grammar and a very rich vocabulary with interesting idioms and latest technical vocab.

Then, French is exciting in terms of tenses, gender of nouns and very beautiful pronunciation, among others. This is also the first language I learned which has quite a number of inflectional forms for verbs.

I also find Chinese interesting. First, it's its sophisticated but wonderful writing system, which I hope to know well enough for self-enjoyment. Another interesting aspect is that it's a highly compositional language where we don't introduce an entirely new word to express new concepts but by composing from existing words. Vietnamese shares this feature.

And Japanese is also very enlightening in that its sentence structure is not the farmiliar Subject + Verb + Object (SVO) order but the SOV order. And then its formality is also something that also astonished me quite a bit.

German, according to my very limited knowledge, is also very interesting as I find that it allows the parts of sentences to be arranged in a very flexible manner. And the agreement between subjects and verbs and nouns are even more thorough than French.

Vietnamese is a compositional and tonal language. And it has a very interesting aspect of sound matching which allows creation of beautiful poems and songs. Since I'm native Vietnamese speaker, if anyone plans to learn Vietnamese, I'll be glad to join.

I believe that learning different languages would expose us to different ways of modelling/structuring thoughts and ideas in addition to broadening our knowledge of foreign cultures.

Edited by learnvietnamese on 24 August 2011 at 9:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4789 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 114 of 117
26 August 2011 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
Well, first of all there would be the languages I already speak (to whatever grade of proficiency):

1. German (my native language)
2. English
3. French
4. Italian
5. Swedish
6. Latin

Then, there would be the languages I'm already studying but which I don't yet speak very well:

7. Dutch
8. Icelandic
9. Scottish Gaelic
10. Ancient Greek

Next, there would be the most important languages of all civilizations:

11. Russian
12. Japanese
13. Mandarin
14. Arabic
15a. Persian or
15b. Hindi-Urdu
16. Spanish
17. Portuguese
18. Swahili

And last of all, there would be some rather unimportant, more or less exotic, languages:

19. Irish or Welsh
20. Polish or Czech

I think it's very striking that I'm concentrating on the Indo-European language families. I'm not interested in exotic (i. e. Asian or African) languages except a few.

Edited by Josquin on 26 August 2011 at 4:38pm

gerry
Triglot
United States
Joined 5195 days ago

22 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, German

Message 115 of 117
28 August 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
1. English
2. Spanish
3. French
4. Italian
5. German
6. Portuguese
7. Mandarin
8. Japanese
9. Korean
10. Latin
11. Ancient Greek
12. Modern Greek
13. Arabic
14. Russian
15. Swedish
16. Norwegian
17. Dutch
18. Irish
19. Czech
20. Polish

Mark1003
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 4810 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 116 of 117
28 August 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
xees wrote:
Mark I admire you that you want to learn Vietnamese. Everytime I saw someone post they wanted to learn Vietnamese I felt a little bit proud.

I should say I'm English...but i'm currently learning Vietnamese and living in Vietnam and want to encourage anyone learning.

If anyone is learning Vietnamese and wants to message me to practise then please do!

Thanks xees, a few of my friends are vietnamese and I find the culture insteresting, so its definetely high up on my list, and I might learn it next.

Mei190
United Kingdom
Joined 5285 days ago

29 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 117 of 117
28 August 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
My list in terms of 20 languages if I was ever to reach it.
No real order, however maybe with a few shuffles this is actually similar to the order I wish to learn them. Obviously with varying degrees of fluency.

1. English
2. Japanese
3. German
4. Korean
5. Mandarin
6. Russian
7. French
8. Italian
9. Swedish
10.Finnish
11.Arabic
12.Spanish
13.Vietnamese
14.Thai
15.Persian
16.Hungarian
17.Icelandic
18.Dutch
19.Polish
20.Cantonese

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version