769 posts - 962 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Polish, Modern Hebrew

Message 65 of 117
24 November 2010 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Ooh looks like fun :):

Tibetan: Because I like mountains.
Indonesian: Because beaches are cool.
Nepali: Because there's more than one way to climb Everest ;).
Sanskrit: Because I'm a nerd.
Hindi: Because Indian food is good...and I like India.
Arabic: Because I need a future excuse for a headache seeing as that I don't plan on having children any time
soon.
Icelandic: Because I want to visit the Blue Lagoon.
Greenlandic: Because I'm a masochist...and it looks SO cool.
Finnish: Because it sounds good.
Uzbek: Because you can't speak only Russian.
Kazakh: Because I feel bad for Kazakhstan being mostly Russian speaking.
Turkish: Because two Turkic languages aren't enough already.
Mandarin: Because I want to yell at people.
Cantonese: Because being the eccentric, learning-Chinese-dialects-other-than-Mandarin person appeals to me.
Japanese: Because Asia isn't complete without Japan.
Frisian: Just because I don't like my cousin, doesn't mean I don't have to hate my language's.
Estonian: Because Finnish isn't enough.
Latvian: Because I'm too lazy to tackle Lithuanian.
Swahili: Because I like animals.
Tamil: Because I needed an extra one to make twenty.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6812 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 66 of 117
24 November 2010 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
ruskivyetr wrote:
Latvian: Because I'm too lazy to tackle Lithuanian.

Naturally; your list of languages looks like it was written by someone lazy indeed. ;-)
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5868 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 67 of 117
24 November 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
I think I will just expand my list from the ten languages thread. I put stars next the ones I am already learning, and an x by those I've dabbled with but am not actually learning, the others are languages I may learn later. Of course, in reality I doubt I'll actually learn numbers 5-20 because I'm lazy and given to frequent bouts of wanderlust.
1. Spanish *
2. Afrikaans *
3. Finnish *
4. Swedish * (maybe I'll try to gain at least a passive knowledge of Danish and /or Norwegian as well)
5. Hungarian x
6. Inuktitut x
7. Polish x (consonant clusters are fun to pronounce)
8. Mandarin or Cantonese (still undecided, maybe I'll eventually try to learn both)   
9. Arabic (MSA and then at least one local dialect)
10. Irish
11. Georgian x
12. Italian x
13. German
14. Icelandic x
15. Russian
16. Romanian
17. Korean
18. Zulu
19. Estonian
20. Lithuanian

I could make this wishlist even longer but I won't

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 6095 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 68 of 117
24 November 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I think twenty languages at different levels of fluency is possible. Assessing my abilities in various languages,

B2\C1
Spanish - Based on a recent evaluation test.

B1
French
Irish

A2\B1
Russian
Hungarian

A2
Polish
Italian
Thai(?)
Danish
Greek

A1
Portuguese
Latvian
Croatian
Bulgarian

A0
Japanese

This is just based on the last three years. I'll hopefully have a bit more time to add to this, and move others further up the list. The five languages I'll probably add,

Swedish
Mandarin
Romanian
German
Arabic

Edited by DaraghM on 24 November 2010 at 3:58pm

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5439 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 69 of 117
24 November 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
1.     Estonian
2.     Italian
3.     Russian
4.     Dutch
5.     This one is definitely only a dream, but I really would love to know 15th century (or even earlier) spoken Finnish. Finnish has lost many phonemes since then and also some other linguistic features have changed.
6.     Turkish
7.     French
8.     Hindi
9.     Polish
10.     Esperanto
11.     Mandarin
12.     Karelian - The language maybe closest to Finnish. Sounds poetic, Kalevala-like to Finnish ears. (Kalevala is a collection of ancient Finnish epic poetry)
13.     Thai
14.     Latin
15.     Arabic
16.     Swahili
17.     Greek
18.     A sign language. If an international sign language doesn’t exist, I’ll choose the Finnish variant.
19.     Portuguese
20.     Croatian

I’ve left out English, Spanish, German and Swedish which I already “know”, more or less.

Edited by Marikki on 24 November 2010 at 6:30pm

Jinx
Triglot
Germany
reverbnation.co
Joined 5637 days ago

1085 posts - 1879 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Catalan, Dutch, Esperanto, Croatian, Serbian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish

Message 70 of 117
25 November 2010 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
sigiloso wrote:
:LOL I am with Numerodix, these people are insane :)
If someone is a Westerner and wants the 20 feat, I would take these 14 and then select some 2 minority from where I was born or live, then some 3 profiting from family relationships above, and 1 as something weird out of curiosity. But that is the most you can fool around.

sigiloso, your post really confused me, for several reasons.

1. Are you seriously telling other language-lovers which types of languages they should learn? That just... leaves me speechless.

2. Why are you using expressions like "these people are insane"? Do you not feel that you are "one of us"?

3. Why the negativity? Do you think there's a particular cut-off point where no person can possibly learn any more languages? Or do you just think that setting high goals in order to inspire oneself is a stupid idea?

4. I thought the whole point of this forum was to be a place for people who love languages, and love studying languages. It seems like incredibly obvious logic to me that people who love something also love to do it, to put in the time and talk about the methods and dream about the goals. Lots of people learn what you would probably call "weird languages" simply because they like them. Are you discounting the fact that some people like certain things? I utterly can't understand that attitude at all.

5. This too confuses me: if you think the people on this forum are "insane" "freaks" who are "unrealistic," why are you here?

Finally, if all my confused suppositions here are completely wrong and your post was simply meant as a joke, I would like to point out that due to the lack of face-to-face communication on the Internet, even the most light-hearted joke can come across as hurtful and scornful. It's best to always try to err on the side of caution, assume that everything you type will be interpreted in the most negative way possible, and provide for that eventuality in your original communication. That way a lot of unfortunate circumstances can be avoided.

Following my own advice, I would like to state that this post here is not meant to sound like a bossy reprimand, but is really just an expression of my own confusion at the tone of your original post.
10 persons have voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 71 of 117
26 November 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Due to my constant Wanderlust, I'm 22 I can count to 10 in a whole lot of languages but have yet to achieve fluency in any (besides my native English). So, it's unlikely I'd ever come close to 20. But just to be wildly optimistic I'll post my choices anyway. The first four are in order, based on my current efforts and goals. After that the rest are just ones I think would be interesting, in no particular order.

1. Esperanto (currently learning)
2. German (currently on hold while I learn Esperanto)
3. American Sign Language
4. Japanese
5. Cree (or perhaps Ojibwey; I haven't looked into either yet)
6. Swahili
7. Ukrainian
8. Italian (so I could read the book I bought in Italy back when I was learning Italian)
9. French (for the usefulness living in Canada; in spite of the fact that junior high killed French for me)
10. Romanian
11. Haitian Creole
12. Irish Gaelic (so I could read the unpronounceable words in my books about Druidry)
13. Mandarin (so I could communicate with the most people possible)
14. Spanish (same reason as Mandarin)
15. Indonesian (because it sounds fun)
16. Icelandic (because I can already say the world for "Icelandic Festival" - Islendingadagurinn!)
17. Korean (I first tried to learn it in junior high while taking tae kwon do, but decided it was too hard)
18. Thai (because I love Thai food... to be honest I don't even know what the language sounds like)
19. Elvish (because it's pretty)
20. Klingon (do I even need a reason?)

On reflection, Klingon should go near the top. I learned a bit a few years ago and then got distracted (as usual), but I'd love to go back to it. It's very expressive. Plus, I'd get more out of Star Trek. Qapla'!

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 5074 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 72 of 117
26 November 2010 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Jinx wrote:

... assume that everything you type will be interpreted in the most negative way possible, and provide for that eventuality in your original communication.

That's a sad way to view any type of communication, online or otherwise, don't you think?

Sure, care should be taken, but walking on eggshells really doesn't help, either.

The inverse is also true: try not to view every single thing so negatively. Frankly, I see a lot of that in my short time here. We could all stand to lighten up a bit.

R.
==

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version