Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 1 of 6
21 December 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Starting my log early. My semester’s over, and I have a month off before the spring
term begins. In that time I hope to make a lot of progress, and I want to record my
hours and accomplishments from the beginning of this intensive study period. :)

Here in very simple terms—-the CEFR scale—-are my language goals for this coming year:
Spanish: maintain/repair gaps in C1
German: high B1 to C1
Mandarin: A1 to B1
Polish: zippo to A2
Turkish: zilch to A1

In each language, I plan to do the following:
-Study my Anki deck(s) every day or two.
-Memorize a poem. Saying it will mark my transition from the study of one language to
another (aka reciting, say, “Erlkönig” signals the beginning of my German studies for
that day).
-Log at least 200 hours of study (100 for Turkish, concentrated in the latter half of
the year). Anki time, watching TV shows or movies, or listening to podcasts or music do
not count toward those hours.

In my next post, I’ll list more specific goals for each language and the resources I’ll
use to achieve them. Bring it on, 2011!

Edited by thephantomgoat on 24 December 2010 at 1:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 2 of 6
22 December 2010 at 9:29am | IP Logged 
First, a quick post on multilingual and general language learning resources I've found
online (most of them through this forum). Here goes:

-Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg.
-Bilingual texts in Spanish, German,
Polish, and a few other languages (some have audiobooks, too).
-Logos Multilingual Library, found at
<http://www.logoslibrary.eu/pls/wordtc/new_wordtheque.mai n?lang=en&source=search>.
-Kinderbibliothek, which has children's stories in numerous languages, not
just German. Found at <http://www.logoslibrary.eu/owa-wt/new_wordtheque.main_bi mbi?
lang=de>.
-A text-to-
speech demo
for a bit of help with pronunciation.
-Audacity, a free, open-source program you
can download and use to record and edit sounds. I've used it to slow down audio without
changing the pitch, which helps a LOT when your (recorded) speaker is talking a mile a
minute.

Next post: more on resources specific to each of the languages I'm studying.

Edit: The hyperlinks for the Logos Multilingual Library and Kinderbibliothek did not
work. Copy and past the links above (minus the spaces) to visit the sites.

Edited by thephantomgoat on 22 December 2010 at 9:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 3 of 6
22 December 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
thephantomgoat wrote:
-Memorize a poem. Saying it will mark my transition from the study of one language to another (aka reciting , say, “Erlkönig” signals the beginning of my German studies for that day).

I really like this idea! I think I'll try it out too. It could also be useful to get yourself in the mood for studying a particular language.

Powodzenia!

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 4 of 6
24 December 2010 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Dziękuję bardzo, ellasevia! Setting the mood was precisely the intention behind the
poem idea.

One more post with contextual information (that is, my goals and available resources)
and I'll start logging my progress!

SPANISH Maintain C1
Goals: Improve listening comprehension. Increase confidence in speaking ability.
Improve command of slang and idioms. Weed out grammatical errors. Read a LOT of
literature.
Resources:
-The free audiobooks and texts found at
AlbaLearning.
-News podcasts like those found at BBC
Mundo Radio
. Assorted other podcasts like En la
Historia
and Radio Raza.
-Novels and short stories. The first three books on my list are Isabel Allende's El
reino del dragón de oro
(2003); Gabriel García Márquez's Los funerales de la
Mamá Grande
(1962); and Miguel de Unamuno's Niebla (1914).

GERMAN B1 to C1
Goals: Achieve proficiency and spoken fluency (and beyond!). Comprehend most
spoken German (I can understand virtually everything said in a classroom setting, but
outside of it, not so much). Be able to read a newspaper. Improve grammar.
Resources:
-Free audiobooks and texts at Vorleser.
-Pukka German, a podcast for learning German slang,
idioms, etc.
-The site Deutsch Perfekt, which has a lot
of resources for intermediate or advanced learners.
-TV shows at MySpass or
ARD
Mediathek
. I've watched the first two seasons of Türkisch für Anfänger on
YouTube, and once I've finished the series I'm moving on to Stromberg (the
German version of The Office).
-Novels, beginning with Friedrich Dürrenmatt's
Der Richter und sein Henker (1950) and Sven Regener's Herr Lehmann
(2001).

MANDARIN A1 to B1
Goals: Improve pronunciation, especially the articulation of the pinyin initials
j, q, and x. Achieve natural fluency in utterance of tones (i.e. no "bouncing" from
first tone to fourth, etc.). Increase vocabulary. Improve listening comprehension of
both formal and informal speech. Be able to tell what a book is about by looking at it
(something I have a hard time doing even when I flip through it). Be able to recall and
write more characters.
Resources:
-Two online dictionaries. MDBG Chinese-
English Dictionary
has an auto-complete feature that I adore (it's a great help
in identifying common compound words), while
YellowBridge has enormously helpful sample
sentences for each word.
-TV shows at MySoju and
Tudou (the latter also has news broadcasts).
-The podcast Slow Chinese, which has texts and
audio prepared and read (slowly!) by a native speaker. Created for learners of Chinese.
-Fairy tales and fables at this site and poems at
this one. The poetry site includes pinyin and
a rough translation of each work.
-Zhongwen Red, a series of over 100 vocabulary-
based Mandarin lessons with audio.
-Clavis Sinica, a site with TONS
of resources for the Mandarin language learner. I anticipate using their
Chinese Voices Project and their
Chinese Text
Sampler
most. All of their texts are accompanied by audio.
-On lazy days, I might watch an episode or two of one of the Mandarin language-learning
series offered by CCTV. These include
"Growing Up with Chinese" (for beginners); "Travel in Chinese" and "Communicate in
Chinese" (both for intermediate learners); and "Happy Chinese S1 Daily Life" (for
advanced students).
-The cheesy teen novel 男孩别哭 and 哈利·波特与阿兹卡班囚徒 (Harry Potter and the Prisoner
of Azkaban
).

POLISH 0 to A2
Goals: Do a lot of listening exercises from the very beginning. Strive for
perfect pronunciation. Do extensive work with the case system. Explore Polish
literature and music in order to establish further goals (such as "read ____ in the
original"). Focus on precision in speech and writing, and strive to retain information
long-term rather than just for the purpose of passing the next quiz (I'll be auditing a
Polish course in the spring).
Resources:
-The University of Pittsburgh's Polish Language
Website
, which includes an excellent
reference grammar, a
dictionary,
phrasebook, and links to
other materials, including a collection of
short stories and
audio thereof.
-Polish Grammar in a
Nutshell
, a shorter version of Dr. Oscar Swan's reference grammar (linked above).
-Some parallel texts with
(really fast) audio,
which you can slow with a sound editing program like
Audacity.
-Short stories for the
intermediate learner.
-For fun, the blogs Bloggy Polish,
Bits of Polish, and Transparent Language's
Polish Blog. This last focuses on Polish
culture.

When I begin with Turkish sometime this summer, I'll detail my plan and resources. I've
refrained from listing textbooks because, for the most part, I'm jumping into native
materials, and I don't know to what extent I'll use the textbooks I've accumulated from
taking language classes at university. This is the first year I'm turning to self-study
in a big way, and gamboling through different resources like a lamb through the fields
is a sure way to keep everything fresh. As well, many of my goals are quite vague
("improve speaking proficiency"). I'll evaluate how effective this (lack of) method and
open-ended goals are at the end of the year.

Let the fun begin!

Edited by thephantomgoat on 24 December 2010 at 3:17am

thephantomgoat
Groupie
United States
Joined 5415 days ago

52 posts - 103 votes 

Message 5 of 6
28 December 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
A thoroughly uninspiring past few days. Instead of getting a jump on next year's
language learning, I've been relaxing; I sorely needed it after my hellish fall
semester. I'm keeping up on Anki reviews and waiting on some books to come in the mail
(Teach Yourself Turkish and 哈利·波特与阿兹卡班囚徒 [Harry Potter and the
Prisoner of Azkaban
] prime among them).

My greatest achievement during these otherwise lazy days: I read the first five pages
of 男孩别哭 (Boys Don't Cry, no connection to the Hilary Swank movie), a
Taiwanese teen novel by 蓝狐. It was a struggle. I understood what was happening plot-
wise, but I input the text into a Mandarin-English online dictionary anyway. It helped
me tease out the compound words I might've missed otherwise. I wrote down the pinyin of
the first five pages in case I forgot a word and wanted to find it later (without
having to go through the trouble of looking it up by radical) and highlighted the new
words and compounds. It took a loooong time, especially because the book's in
traditional characters (I know simplified). Looking up 識 by radical only to find out
it's 识...ugh. Talk about adding insult to injury. But I'm liking the plot (summary
culled from the description on the back of the book, with a few liberties taken in
narrative tone): boy from a fishing village heads to the big city to become a writer,
ticks off his father on the way, meets a piano player, falls in love, bada bing bada
boom, we got ourselves a drama!

Writing about what I accomplished with Mandarin recently has brightened my day. I felt
pretty down earlier, having taken a couple of practice tests in German and Spanish and
scoring worse than I expected. What always gets me in situations like this is the
feeling that I "should" be better. That discrepancy between my actual and presumed
level provokes a lot of guilt: "You've been studying German for three years and you
still can barely string a sentence together?" But thinking like this gets me
nowhere, and it's something I want to leave behind in the new year. No more "should's"!
I've accomplished what I've accomplished, and it's enough to be thankful for that and
move forward.

In other news, still haven't started Polish in earnest (just doing Anki reps to build
up a passive vocabulary base). That needs to change soon; I'm supposed to audit the
second half of beginning Polish at my university this coming semester, and I need to
learn the first semester's material to prepare for the beginning of the class. Which is
three weeks from now. Gad.

Lately I've been struck again by the idea of learning Swahili. It was the first foreign
language I tried to learn through self-study, but I was eight and didn't get much
farther than greetings and the names of animals. I've maintained a peripheral interest
in the language, but it'll have to wait a few years: Turkish is my next. And after
that--cut that thought off at the pass. Keeping the wanderlust to a minimum.

Tomorrow: mianownik and narzędnik, meet your match!

Edited by thephantomgoat on 28 December 2010 at 11:17am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 6086 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 6 of 6
23 January 2011 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
Thephantomgoat, jak są twoje nauki języków? Nic nie pisałaś od grudnia. Czy nauczyłaś się wiersze? Ja też uczę się polskiego teraz. :)

Thephantomgoat, how are your language studies? You haven't written anything since December. Did you finish learning the poems? I am also studying Polish now.

Edited by ellasevia on 29 January 2011 at 1:17am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version