Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 26
27 December 2010 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm excited to be a part of the Total Annihilation Challenge 2011 (sounds more like a
video game than a language learning contest lol). This is a genius idea and it's
exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. I've tried learning languages on my own
before, to no avail, since I lose motivation quickly and become bored easily. Also, I
don't have many friends with whom to practice, so I often forget what I learn, become
frustrated, and give up.

So this time I've decided not to make the same mistakes (i.e. trying to force myself to
learn when I'm tired/unmotivated, being scared to talk to native speakers and sounding
stupid, pretending I know more than I do, etc.). I'm naturally very competitive, so
this team challenge thing should work out well for me.

I'm looking forward to getting to know my teammates (Solfrid Cristin,
nogoodnik, and snovymgodom), and working together to reach our goals.

Language Background:
My mother tongue is English, and I've lived in a predominately English speaking area
all my life. I studied French throughout elementary and high school and took a course
in university. I can read novels in French and get my point across when I speak so I'd
say I'm at about a C1 level. I've dabbled in learning other languages, specifically
Portuguese, Mandarin, and Spanish, in order of proficiency, though I'd still put myself
around A1.

Language Goals:
My primary goal is to become proficient in Russian by the end of 2011. I wrote in
the sticky TAC thread that my goal is to go from A2 to C1, but after looking into it
some more, I think A1 is more accurate. So my goal will be to go from A1 -> C1 in 12
months. As for secondary goals, I'd like to improve my French a bit, from C1 -> C2, and
maybe brush up on the other languages I mentioned, i.e. Portuguese, Mandarin, Spanish:
A1 -> A2.

Language Resources:
I will be focusing on Pimsleur, living language, and the Goldlist method, and probably
some internet resources as well. After I deem myself proficient enough to get by, I'll
hopefully interact with native Russian speakers through skype, email, forums and IRL (I
play chess competitively so finding native Russian speakers shouldn't be a problem :D).
If anyone has any suggestions of what resources have worked well for them, I'm all for
it.

Sorry about the long post. Good luck to everyone in the challenge.

geordie

cliffs:
-i'm excited
-hi team
-i wanna be a triglot by 2012, so I can swear in 3 languages when the world ends
-help keep me motivated plz

Edited by geordie on 30 December 2010 at 11:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 2 of 26
28 December 2010 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
geordie wrote:
i wanna be a triglot by 2012, so I can swear in 3 languages when the world ends

hahaha...We are going to have a lot of fun and make tremendous progress in 2011! Go team ж!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 3 of 26
28 December 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi geordie! We seem to be at the same level in Russian (A1 - A2) but you have more ambitous goals than I do - which is good! We can inspire eachother.

Si tu veux, on peut aussi pratiquer un peut le Francais. Je ne l'écris jamais, donc ce serait utile pour mois de le faire pour ameliorer mon francais écrit (et je n'arrive pas á trouver la G6&%#ø?¤x cedille sûr ma claviature - je m'excuse).

Si quieres tambien un poco de practica con tu español no dudes en decirmelo, estaré a tu disposición.

Go team Ж!
1 person has voted this message useful

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes

Message 4 of 26
29 December 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
I've decided to spend about an hour a day on learning Russian, and try to maintain that as a bare minimum.
On days when I feel more motivated, I'd exceed that obviously, but this way I'll establish a routine,
without forcing myself to do too much at once.

Yesterday and today that hour comprised half an hour (one lesson) of Pimsleur, and one 20 minute sesh of
vocab (Goldlist). Plus a bit of reviewing spelling rules, etc.

I'm skeptical about this goldlist thing, but I'll wait until I start the distillations to decide. For now
I'm still working through headlists until the two weeks are up (for those who have no idea what I'm
talking about, you can read about it at http://www.usenetposts.com/goldlist.htm). I'm worried that since
I'm learning the Cyrillic characters/sounds along with the Russian language itself, my retention will be
much less than 30%. Oh well, guess I'll find out soon.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 5 of 26
29 December 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
One hour a day minimum seems like a good plan. Try the "Teach yourself beginner's Russian script". I struggle with the Cyrillic characters too, but that book was a big help, plus it is the only language book which I have actually finished in one sitting (so it was a three hour sitting, but it was still one sitting :).

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 December 2010 at 1:22pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5408 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 6 of 26
29 December 2010 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
geordie wrote:
I'm skeptical about this goldlist thing, but I'll wait until I start
the distillations to decide. For now I'm still working through headlists until the two
weeks are up (for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, you can read about it
at http://www.usenetposts.com/goldlist.htm). I'm worried that since I'm learning the
Cyrillic characters/sounds along with the Russian language itself, my retention will be
much less than 30%. Oh well, guess I'll find out soon.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the Gold List method, which I'm using for Georgian,
so hopefully you will be too. The 30% figure has been pretty meaningless in my case -
it's more like anywhere between 10% and 70% - but I always retain at least one or two
of the words (sometimes up to 15), and it often happens that I don't remember much of
the first distillation but much more by the time I get to the second. So stick with
it. I'll be keen to read about your results.

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes

Message 7 of 26
30 December 2010 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
What intrigued me most about the gold list method is its simplicity and efficiency. I usually accomplish about 2 headlists in a 20 minute session, which is equivalent to 50 words, or 150 words an hour. I'm not sure how long the distillations take but I'm guessing they'll take less time (less words to write), and I plan to do about 5 distillations, so let's say it'll take about 3 times as long to fully learn all the words. That equals roughly 50 words learned per hour, which seems quite good.

In the past I've absorbed vocabulary more quickly than that, but it obviously didn't get stored in my long term memory, as most have disappeared. I have an excellent short term memory, however the words never stick (I once memorized 215 digits of pi in a 2 hour period. I've only retained the first hundred, mainly from repeating them ad nauseum. I'm quite the hit at parties, as you might guess).

Solfrid: Merci pour le titre du livre. Je le rechercherai. C'est plus la pronunciation et les règles d'orthographe avec lesquelles j'ai de la difficulté. Mais ca va bientôt changer, j'espère. Merci pour vos remarques.

I'm gonna keep a running total of how long I've spent studying each language. I will have to post less regularly from now on as I'm going away for new years this weekend, and I start work again on Monday, so I'll probably do a weekly update of my progress. Thanks to everyone who visits/comments.

Since last post:
Russian: 2 hrs

Total thus far:
Russian: 20 hrs
Portuguese: 50 hrs
Mandarin: 20 hrs
Spanish: 10 hrs
French:~2000 hrs
English: infinite

snovymgodom
Diglot
United States
Joined 5669 days ago

136 posts - 149 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian

Message 8 of 26
31 December 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Best of luck with your endeavors!
I remember a good way to get used to the sounds was practicing reading Russian words that are similar or the same as English, so you will focus on reading the letters correctly. Years ago there was a beginners' site that had a list of such words, but I can't find it anymore.

One option is to look at names of countries in Russian on http://maps.google.ru/
It's fun, the countries are fairly easy to recognize, and it can't hurt to know how to write and pronounce them correctly from the get-go! You can also use Yandex for this.

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version