Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 26
04 January 2011 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
What is the advantage of Goldlist compared to Anki?
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 10 of 26
08 January 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
How are you doing geordie, anything interesting we should know about? :)

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 11 of 26
09 January 2011 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Sorry loyal followers! I've been busy with work and other things of late and haven't
had a chance to post. I've kept up with my studying though, which is the important
thing, I guess.

I've averaged about an hour and a half per day over the past week, though I've switched
my study plan around a bit. I joined livemocha.com and started making friends and
trying out the lessons on there. The social environment looks very promising in that
there's a message function, a chat interface, and the site gets a lot of traffic
(mostly young female students ;). Oh and I'm 21 btw). I hope it proves as good a tool
as it seems, especially a couple months down the road when I can carry on a good
conversation.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What is the advantage of Goldlist compared to Anki?

I haven't used Anki extensively, and I'm new to the Gold List method as well, but I'll
have a go at answering.

The way the Gold List method works is that you write out your word lists, 25 words on
each page, in the top left corner in a column (and the translation into your own
language). No need to make a concerted effort to memorize them, just write them out on
a piece of paper (not on a computer... or typewriter), maybe say them out loud, etc.
but don't repeat them over and over. Then 2 weeks to a month later, go back and see how
many you remembered (passively) and choose the 18 that you remembered the worst to go
on the top right of the page. Then let another 2 weeks to a month go by and go back and
choose the 12 you remembered worst to put on the bottom right of the page. Then another
2 weeks to a month, and put the least remembered 9 (I find that 8 works better on my
sheets so they're not as cramped) in a column in the bottom left (it's best if you put
dates on the sublists/"distillations" as you go).

You can keep doing more distillations in another booklet or on the next page, but by
the time you get to the third distillation, you'll probably be familiar with most of
the words anyway.

The advantages I can see over Anki (just guessing here, I'm not the best person to ask)
are that the Gold List ensures that the words are stored in your long term memory, so
you're not tricked into believing you know words that you'll forget soon after. Also,
it's handwritten, so there's more of a mind-muscle memory connection goin on. And it's
quite efficient since you don't need to repeat them many times to ingrain the words in
your memory. But Anki seems to have its advantages as well. If anyone has experience
with both, and would like to shed some more light on this, please do :). I'd be
interested as well.

As for MY gold list experiment, I did the first distillation for my first two headlists
yesterday, and surprisingly I remembered >30%, which is great news.

I haven't done any Pimsleur recently since my mp3 player decided it would delete some
of the lessons, at random, for no apparent reason :/

I've mostly been studying from a book my dad got me for Christmas, "Introduction to
Russian", published in 1964. I hope the not much has changed since then.

So far I seem to be understanding everything and picking it up quickly. One question
for snovymgodom or anyone who may know: when does one use мало as opposed to немного?
Or do they mean the same thing? Thanks,

Geordie

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 12 of 26
10 January 2011 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Interesting summary of the Gold List method. I'll have to give it a try. Congrats on your steady progress

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 13 of 26
25 January 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged 
How are things? I am wating in excited anticipation for you next post :)

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes

Message 14 of 26
26 January 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I've gotten a bit distracted lately with work and other things, so I haven't been doing
too much Russian. But I'm keeping up with pimsleur, and I'm going to focus on learning
Russian grammar for the next little while to lay a good foundation. There's no point
memorizing wordlists if I don't know how to use them in a sentence, or conjugate the
verbs.

I've also switched my focus a bit, in that I want to spend as much time on French as I
spend on Russian. There are many French/English job opportunities that come up in my
area, so it would be advantageous for me to hone my French skills as well. For French,
I hope to find some people with whom I can Skype, or chat, as I don't have much left to
gain from studying, or reading books. It's my oral skills that need the most work.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 15 of 26
31 January 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Vas y,Geordie, on est la pour te donner un coup de main (avec tout sauf les accents :)

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes

Message 16 of 26
07 March 2011 at 7:53am | IP Logged 
First off, I should say Добро пожаловать! to our new teammate Alex. Glad to have you on board.

I took a brief hiatus from studying Russian and got involved with other stuff (running a chess tournament with 200 kids, reapplying to university, making plans to move back to Toronto with my girlfriend, etc, etc)

I quit my job recently (factory job, no big loss :D) and therefore I've had a lot more time to study Russian lately :). I've been averaging 2 to 3 hours of Russian a day.

I realized I was wasting my time with livemocha. There's no use hoarding Russian speaking contacts if I'm too shy to talk to them. Hopefully I'll revisit it when I'm more proficient and less self conscious. Since I've mostly learned by ear up til now, my writing still needs a lot of work.

My plan for the next couple months:

Pimsleur I (1-2 lessons/day)
Gold List (add 1 new headlist/day, catch up on distillations)
Anki
Living Language (~15 pg/day)

Now that I have the time, I'm finding motivation and progress is coming easily. I only listen to the Pimsleur lessons once, and I rarely have to read anything more than once. I'm getting a pretty good grasp on the pronunciation I think.

That's all for now. I'll try to post more often than once a month now that I'm less busy ;).

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version