Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5585 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 1 of 40
27 December 2010 at 11:31pm | IP Logged 
Yay, this is my third log and second TAC year! This year I've decided to go easier on myself goal-wise. Instead of setting the goal 'be fluent in Dutch' as I have done the two previous years I'm being realistic and saying that I want to be at C2 level in 2016. 7 years after I started learning Dutch. That's definitely doable I think.

Dutch
My Dutch is at a level where I can understand most of what I hear and read but I still have a lot of trouble speaking. The speaking issue is down to lack of confidence I think so I'm shoving that to the side. Writing is something that I'd like to get more feedback on since I feel comfortable writing but I suspect I make many mistakes. My main intrinsic motivation for learning Dutch was to understand everything I come across so I'm still highly motivated by that goal and will continue to work on it.

Goals
My main aim is to read as many Dutch books as possible this year. My current goal is 12 books. I'm aiming to read novels originally written in the Dutch language but I may read a couple of non-fiction books or translations too.

Read
1) Figuranten - Arnon Grunberg
2) Nooit Meer Slapen - W F Hermans
3) Het Aapje dat Geluk Pakt - Arnon Grunberg
4) Nieuwe Buren - Saskia Noort
5) De Eetclub - Saskia Noort
6) Kaas - Willem Elsschot
7) Onmacht - Charles den Tex
8) Een Barbaar in China - Adriaan van Dis
9) Het Beloofde Land - Adriaan van Dis
10) In Afrika - Adriaan van Dis
11) Korte geschiedenis van de Nederlandse taal - J.M. van der Horst & Fred Marschall

Edited by Iolanthe on 20 October 2011 at 3:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5279 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 3 of 40
28 December 2010 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
in September I started my first semester at a Dutch university.

Ik wacht nog steeds op de dag dat ik een gesprek aanknoop met een Spaans student aan de UvA en het blijkt dat jij het bent. ;-)

Ik vind de vlaggetjes van ellasevia en jou zo’n leuk idee maar als ik ze nu ook ga gebruiken lijk ik zo’n na-aper. Is het heel erg dat ik het tweede vlaggetje voor Spaans moest opzoeken voordat ik me herinnerde waar hij van is?

Hoe dan ook, ik wens je een heel goed nieuw jaar toe met heel veel succes in zowel je Spaans als je Nederlands. Ik kijk ernaar uit om dit jaar je log te lezen en je vooruitgang te volgen.

Edited by ReneeMona on 05 April 2011 at 2:24pm

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5585 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 4 of 40
02 January 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
@Kuikentje - Dankjewel :)

@ReneeMona - Misschien hebben we al langs elkaar gelopen deze semester of misschien niet want ik had maar een paar lessen op het Bungehuis. Heb jij ook weleens les in het PC Hoofthuis? En dankjewel :D

---
Tussen de oliebollen, vuurwerken en champagne heb ik tijd gevonden om weer met Assimil Spaans te beginnen. Vandaag en gisteren heb ik door de eerste 10 lessen gewerkt en ik vind het een stuk makkelijker dan een half jaar eerder toen ik probeerde om Spaans zelf te leren. Blijkbaar heb ik een meer interactiever leeromgeving nodig om de basis elementen van een taal te leren. Daarna leer ik prima alleen maar ik heb dat eerste duw nodig.

Volgend week heb ik nog meer examen. Vrijwel mijn hele januari is samengesteld van examen en dus als ik toch de eerste semester red, zal ik alleen maar een paar dagen rust heb voordat ik weer met les beginnen. Bring on the summer holidays -_-

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5585 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 5 of 40
04 January 2011 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Español
- Reached lesson 17 of Assimil Spanish
- Cramming the prescribed 1000 or so words for my next exam using Anki
- Went over the gerund tense and prepositions for my upcoming grammar exam
- I've started reading articles in Spanish newspapers every day. It's now a mini goal for Spanish

Nederlands
I'm realising more and more that there's still a lot to learn and my determination to become advanced in Dutch only gets stronger so I'm making a point of reading articles in the NRC every day and putting new words into Anki. On average I find a new word per second or third paragraph but it depends on the subject. I'm really glad I can read the NRC with such fluency because this was one of the goals I set over a year ago.

Since my Spanish exams are my main priority right now I'm afraid my performance in my Spaanse Taalkunde (Spanish linguistics) exam on Thursday will be rather lacking. I've barely studied for it at all. I hate to go into exam feeling unprepared but I have to prioritise lest I have my umpteenth burnout of the semester.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5585 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 6 of 40
07 January 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged 
Note to self: Begin nooit later dan een week voor een examen met studeren...

Ik kon al die woorden niet in mijn hoofd krijgen in tijd voor de tentamen vandaag dus ik dacht, ik moet de herkansen in ieder geval doen dus ik blijf thuis en ga door met de studeren van de grammatica. Zo veel woorden, zo weinig tijd! Nu heb ik twee weken om met Anki en de online oefening van de universiteit te werken.
Ik hoop dat één dag in de niet zo verre toekomst dat ik naar Spaans kan kijken niet met angst en frustratie maar met plezier en geluk. Nederlands wordt mijn ontsnapping van deze romaanse nachtmerrie taal met zijn duizenden werkwoordsvormen. In feit, is het Spaans natuurlijk niet de probleem maar de manier waarop ik het moet leren. Als ik dit opnieuw zou kunnen doen, zou ik een jaar wachten om mijn Nederlands te verbeteren en een cursus Spaans bij een volksuniversiteit doen want het is echt moeilijk om niet alleen met een maar met twee talen in de war te zijn (en vaak tegelijkertijd!) /rant

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5585 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 7 of 40
11 January 2011 at 1:02pm | IP Logged 
It's amazing that I've lived in this country for two years and some things are still baffling! I'm highly considering dropping out of university and then starting again in September. I hate being behind everyone in ability and I think with 8 months of self study I'll be ready to have the uni experience I intended to have instead of this stressy headache. Plus I already passed two classes so I'll only have to take two in the first semester. Yay easy!

Anyway...when I dropped out of Manchester uni this required a whole list of things that I had to do to free myself from that place so I went to see an advisor who said I had to write a letter to the head of the faculty to say I wanted to drop out. Here, I tried ringing to make an appointment to see a studentendecaan, spending 30 minutes on hold and then the lady on the other end said I could simply unregister myself on the internet and then back again for September. The casualness of Dutch university (or is it just the uva?) bemuses me. It's like ordering a cup of coffee.

I feel rather lied to by the university because when I began, I was going on the premise that the course started at nul punt and that there would be no problem with my lack of knowledge but I found that most of the others in the class already had strong ties with the Spanish language in some way. A couple of the guys had Spanish speaking girlfriends, some had traveled in South America or Spain, some went to Spain regularly with family and some had studied it at school. The first two classes did feel like beginners classes. We went over the alphabet, introducing yourself and so on but after that week I felt like it became more difficult very rapidly and right now I think I'm supposed to be straddling the border between A2 and B1 but I think I'm barely at A1 level. Simply because I didn't have time to absorb everything they were teaching. So if anyone's considering doing what I did, (starting a language degree as an absolute beginner) don't! :D

Anyway, onto my plans. I've already made a spreadsheet to track my progress in Dutch and Spanish. Now I'm free from the university schedule I can make my own goals for learning Spanish and so my first goal is to get to B1 level by July. I already have an intellectual understanding of the basic grammar but my vocabulary is severely lacking and I haven't got to a point where I feel like I can put it all together to be able to write and speak. So I'll be working through Assimil and doing what I did with Dutch. Reading, writing and listening. For Dutch I want to read a lot to increase my vocabulary and to work on understanding different accents and unclear speech.

So here we go again!

Edited by Iolanthe on 11 January 2011 at 1:02pm

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5371 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 8 of 40
11 January 2011 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I can recommend telegraaf.nl if you didn't know about it already :), plus theres lots of videos as well.

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version