nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 1 of 84
28 December 2010 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
First, greetings to my colleages on team Ж - Solfrid Cristin, geordie, and snovymgodom. Here's to a happy, healthy and productive 2011!

Here is my plan:

Russian - I have been obsessed with Russian since I was a kid and just listening to this language gives me joy that I can't quite explain. My current level is A1 and my goal is B2. Right now I'm finishing up Pimsleur and taking sentences from the Princeton Course. I plan on using Assimil and native materials after that. I also try to listen to Russian podcasts and music while I'm at home or driving.

Hebrew - I can speak it, but I want to own it. My current level is about C1 but with some gaping holes. My goal is C2 by the end of this year. I will use native materials and my friends for practice.

French - I'd like to be able to read books in French. I am currently working through "Using French" and I'm going to start reading native materials after I complete it.

Wanderlust - So far I've managed to evade the siren songs of Mandarin, Turkish, Persian, Yiddish and Georgian. I just may let myself dabble a bit after I finish "Using French" but for now I'm remaining loyal to my main languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geordie
Diglot
Canada
Joined 5031 days ago

24 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 84
28 December 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Hi fellow Ж teammate!

Seems like we've got a great team put together. Looking forward to sharing tips &
motivation in the new year. French seems to be on our collective agenda as well, which is
convenient.

Good luck to you

geordie
1 person has voted this message useful

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5045 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 3 of 84
29 December 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
Hello there,

So these are 3 of the ten languages that I'll cope with the next year or two. My knowledge about these languages
are limited as of know.

Hebrew: I'm almost done with the 11th chapter of the Hebrew in Three Months, know around 400 words.
Recently I could keep up a chat just chatting in Hebrew with some typos but grammarwise it went fine. I'll also
add a youtube video me talking in Hebrew so that would also give a bit of an idea.

Russian: I studied this briefly about 10 years ago, I know the basics of the grammar but not really certain with
that. I'm supposed to be around 14th chapter of the Collin's Russian course.

French: I haven't yet started studying French, but I can fake my way into this language and talked to a lot of
native speakers by pronouncing a mix of Spanish, Italian and English words in a french way :) That's all about it
actually.

In all of the above I'll at least try to go beyond the 100 effective study-hours milestone, I cannot yet foresee
where I'll end up level-wise at the end of 2011. Apart from studying the grammar, solving exercises, writing
essays and stuff, I'll also watch movies in these languages, get to talk with people and read lots of books.

If I'm elligible for the level of this group I'll be glad to join.

Best regards,
Hakan

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5791 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 84
29 December 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Hakan, if you want to take part in the TAC 2011 and would like to join a certain team, please anounce yourself in the "TAC 2011: Prepare yourselves" thread.

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 29 December 2010 at 9:46am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 84
29 December 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Hello nagoodnik! Very inspiring log, I will keep on reading it! And I wish you all the best for your way towards native fluency in the next year!

Hello Hakan D, too! I saw you aim for both Hebrew and Russian to get from A1 to B1/B2. If you can't join this team then I would be happy if you join mine. I also want to progress von A1 to B1/B2 in Hebrew. Good luck and best wishes to you, too!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 84
29 December 2010 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
Hi! Great to see that you are at the same level as I am in Russian - maybe we can use eachother as sparring partners :). I am most happy to give you a hand with your French, and although I am not actively studying Hebrew, I still have a lot of love for it (and my book of Hebrew in 10 minutes a day in the shelf) so I will follow your progress with great interest. Maybe you'll lead my wanderlust into temptation and make me do Hebrew as my "pet language".

Go team Ж!!

As for you Hakan D, you would be most welcome if they decide to put you on our team. With one exception we all seem to be in the "advanced beginner" fase of Russian, and anyway this is more about helping eachother to study as much and as effeciently as possible, not about which level we are at.

Hakan D
Tetraglot
Groupie
Turkey
Joined 5045 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, Icelandic, English, German
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Hungarian, Mongolian, Modern Hebrew, Russian

Message 7 of 84
30 December 2010 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
So finally I won't be able to join this group but I"ll follow you guys anyway. Good luck with your studies! :)

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 8 of 84
02 January 2011 at 4:31am | IP Logged 

Pimsleur Russian 3 lesson 3
Assimil "Using French" lesson 25
SRS reviews
way too much Israeli television

Thank you everyone for the well wishes. Hakan, it looks like you are on the Hebrew team, but I'd be happy to follow your log anyway. It's really cool to see all of these new logs and I look forward to reading them this year for inspiration.

I've thought about what I want to accomplish in January, and essentially I want to read more in Hebrew and less in English. I would also like to complete Pimsleur Russian and do an Assimil lesson each day.

Awhile ago I started a log to challenge myself to do something in French for 30 days straight. This worked really well to develop a habit of daily study. So my goal for January is to do something in all of my three languages daily and to read in Hebrew daily as well. I think that this is a good start and will build a solid foundation for more lofty goals later.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version