Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 9 of 84
04 January 2011 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
When you say Pimsleur Russian 3 lesson 3, does that mean that you have completed two full courses of Pimsleur and are now on the 3rd one?
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 10 of 84
05 January 2011 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
When you say Pimsleur Russian 3 lesson 3, does that mean that you have completed two full courses of Pimsleur and are now on the 3rd one?

yes ma'am :)

Pimsleur Russian 3 lesson 7
Assimil Using French lesson 32
Amélie Nothomb "Stupeur et Tremblemments" page 22
French in Action 40,41
3 or 4 Israeli TV shows per day

My Internet access is a bit limited this week, so I'll write a quick note. I'm having a lot of fun with my studies, but have not yet begun another book in Hebrew. I will make time for that this evening. I'd also like to spend a half hour or so today "sentence mining" from the Princeton Russian course and adding new material to my SRS. I'm really enjoying reading my first book in French, and although I am still not able to recognize every word, I'm able to follow the story.

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 11 of 84
07 January 2011 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur Russian 3 lesson 13 (I need to repeat it today though)
Assimil Using French lesson 37
Stupeur et Tremblements page 106
a couple of Russian TV shows
several hours of Israeli TV

I didn't mean to progress so quickly with Assimil. I've been taking 20-40 minutes per lesson and listening to each dialogue like 20 more times than needed in order to slow myself down. I do plan to review the book after completing it, so that should make up for speeding through it the first time.

I'm still waiting for Russian Assimil to come in the mail. I do have a pdf file saved on my hard drive but I prefer to hold a book in my hands.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 12 of 84
08 January 2011 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Where do you get the Russian TV shows from? I have been thinking about geting a Russian TV-channel, but since it costs a bundle of money, and I understand so little yet, I figured I would be better off watching my Russian videos about ten times until I start understanding them, and then get the TV channel.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 January 2011 at 10:39am

Anya
Pentaglot
France
Joined 5737 days ago

636 posts - 708 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, FrenchC1, English, Italian, Spanish
Studies: German, Japanese, Hungarian, Sanskrit, Portuguese, Turkish, Mandarin
Studies: Ancient Greek, Hindi

Message 13 of 84
08 January 2011 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Hi nogoodnik,
I hope you enjoy Amélie Nothomb "Stupeur et Tremblemments", I love this book

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 14 of 84
09 January 2011 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin- I download them from rapidlinks.ru. I'm still shopping around, especially for downloads with subtitles, and if I find anything interesting, I'll let you know.

Anya- Thanks. I am really really enjoying the wit and humour in that book. I can't wait to read her others.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 15 of 84
10 January 2011 at 3:54am | IP Logged 
I was suffering from Pimsleur fatigue so I decided to make it a French TV day. I watched a film, Gamines, a documentary about women in Saudi Arabia, and an animated film. I experienced a bit of a milestone while watching the documentary because I was able to understand almost all of the content without trying. On the other hand, I had trouble following a lot of the dialogue in the film.

I am quite surprised that the documentary was significantly easier to understand. While I was in the intermediate stages in Hebrew, documentaries always provided the most challenging content due to the specialized vocabulary and films and tv were easier. I'm downloading some documentaries about Sufi Islam and the Amish right now and I plan to watch those tonight. I like the idea of being able to work on my French while learning stuff simultaneously.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 16 of 84
11 January 2011 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
My experience is that when talking on TV, the French will double their speed - which is not exactly slow to begin with. If there are parts of the dialogue you do not catch, I think that is perfectly normal.

Why did you take up Hebrew? I had a few classes of biblical Hebrew years ago (it was the only Hebrew class available) as a preparation for going to Israel on vacation. I have forgotten what little I knew, and have had no need for it since, but I am still dreaming about going back to it some day. I love the sound of that language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version