Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 25 of 84
31 January 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
French:
and I'm about halfway through "L’Étranger.

You just took me back to my student's days, where I also studied L'Etranger. I must admit I hated it. After 10 years of reading serious books at the University I came up with a severe case of allergy against anything heavier than Agatha Christie. Hope you enjoy it though!
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 26 of 84
02 February 2011 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Solfrid Cristin, and I really appreciate that you stopped by my journal even at such a difficult time. I am definitely an advocate of entertainment over seriousness; half of my language learning time is spent watching T.V. :)
I find Camus highly readable though and I enjoyed the experience of reading him in French.

As for an update, Israeli friend still here so we are still speaking Hebrew all of the time. I bought "Le Yiddish sans peine" and am going through it. I'm finding it way too easy for my level but I'll use it as a review and for French practice. Unfortunately my Russian book has still not arrived so I haven't studied that language much. I need to get some more books in Hebrew.

Alexander.Stoma
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6247 days ago

59 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, Belarusian*, EnglishB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 27 of 84
08 February 2011 at 7:06am | IP Logged 
Hi nogoodnik!

My name is Alex and I'm a new Team Ж member. Russian is my mother tongue, thus if you
need any help to crush it let me know :).

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 28 of 84
08 February 2011 at 9:25am | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:
Thanks Solfrid Cristin, and I really appreciate that you stopped by my journal even at such a difficult time.   

Hey,what are team mates for? :-) As you see I have also invited in a new team mate, Alex (Hi Alex!) and am sure he will be a valuable addition to the team.

I am sorry you do not live closer, then you could have borrowed some of my Russian books, I have tons of material in Russian. I really envy you being able to speak Hebrew though. I think it is one of the coolest languages ever.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 29 of 84
08 February 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I really envy you being able to speak Hebrew though.

Dito.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I think it is one of the coolest languages ever.

I concur. I read your log and I'm sorry to see you're on your last legs regarding time and so not being able starting another new (or not so new) language. Also, you are already on the Russian team. Under slightly different circumstances this year an all A1 Hebrew team could have taken off.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 08 February 2011 at 9:38pm

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 30 of 84
09 February 2011 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Hi Alex! Welcome to team Ж! Looking forward to working together.

Meelämmchen: Good luck with Hebrew this year!

So I took some Israeli friends to San Francisco and we went to Alcatraz. I was able to get the tour in French, which was nice. We happened upon some other Israelis on the island and walked around with them a bit. Then we went for lunch at an Arab hummus and ful restaurant and there were more Israelis at another table. So we started speaking with them. Come to find out, the owner is Palestinian and also speaks Hebrew so I got into a conversation with him in Hebrew about how much I want to learn Arabic. He told me to come back anytime for free hummus and ful and he will help me with Arabic. It was really an amazing day for languages.

I'm still waiting for my Russian materials so I've decided to focus on French in the meantime. I am working through this wonderful book, "Easy French Reader," that has excellent stories for beginners about French history and excerpts from short stories. I'm on page 130.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 31 of 84
10 February 2011 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
Thank you! And again such enviable language stories :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 32 of 84
10 February 2011 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
Under slightly different circumstances this year an all A1 Hebrew team could have taken off.

Is this when I say "Next year, in Jerusalem!"?

How about a 6 week challenge at the beginning of next year? They are doing Dutch now, let's go for Hebrew next year!

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version