Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Russian, French

Message 65 of 84
29 March 2011 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
benzion wrote:
hi there,
Purim was really good and fun here in Israel. Now preparing for Passover. cleanning and throw out old stuff. any way I found out it's really really hard to learn 3 languages at the same time period. Arabic and Russian I hear every day in the streets Persian I can talk to my neigbour and my grandma. still it's hard also to study math with that. hard but I'm doing it. I'm thinking to take a private tutoring in Russian. hour and half session a week...

Anyway after all that I got present to those who seek hebrew stories :
http://sefer-li.net/
there is a big list of stories there all in PDF format and it's for children
but there is no points on the letters = hard for the fresh beginners.

Good night all !!

I'm impressed with your choice of languages. Also, thanks for the link, I'm always looking for new ways to practice and childrens' stories are great for that. You are Persian? I'm jealous because you guys get to eat rice during Pesach. Anyway, I wish you all the best and I look forward to hearing more updates from you.

I had a dream last night that I was browsing this forum and my friends were trying to get me to get off of the Internet so we could go out. This whole conversation took place in Russian. I think that this means that all of that Russian television is starting to seep in and take ownership of a part of my mind. This is exciting.

I also finished a book in French: "La Vie Devant Soi," and I plan to start another today. All is well but I wish I had more motivation to actually hit the books rather than relying only on massive input.
1 person has voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 66 of 84
02 April 2011 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
I signed up for the Tadoku extensive reading contest, but I don't think I'm going to continue with it. I'm not really a
twitter user so finding time to update and figuring out how to do it correctly is taking away time from actually
reading.

I also found an awesome Russian boyfriend who has promised to help me learn the language and track down a
bunch of interesting books and other materials to aid my study.

I'm reading two books now: one in Hebrew and the other in French. Still watching TV and films as well.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5352 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 67 of 84
02 April 2011 at 8:07pm | IP Logged 
How did you start learning Russian ? The language has been in my wishlist for years (together with Persian) but I have been disappointed with every book I gave a try to. I have ordered the old TY Russian (as the Turkish one was great) but it would be good to have other references.

If you need help with your French, feel free to ask !

! זײַ געזונט

Edited by akkadboy on 02 April 2011 at 8:16pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 68 of 84
02 April 2011 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
nogoodnik wrote:

I also found an awesome Russian boyfriend who has promised to help me learn the language and track down a
bunch of interesting books and other materials to aid my study.

Way to go, girl! I am sure you will see a lot of progress with your Russian - and your Russian...

benzion
Diglot
Israel
Joined 4954 days ago

4 posts - 7 votes
Speaks: Modern Hebrew*, EnglishC2
Studies: Russian, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 69 of 84
09 April 2011 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
I found out that time is a tricky thing. The correct way to study is with little doses every day or two even if it's 15-30 minutes twice a week I can handle. The hardest part is open the book, after that it's flowing. I didn't learn arabic in a mounth and after I heard people chatting in arabic I got "mad" that I could not understand it all so I open the book and continue like nothing happen. It's a wonderful thing the memory. I bet it's also happen to you, I foucus on Farsi everyday this two weeks and from the brain wash I found myself while running\showering\driving thinking and practice out loud persian phrases cause I like the sound of it... even if the sentences does'nt make any sence :)

ok. need to share this. If anyone here want to ask Hebrew questions he is welcome to ask me. A word about the Hebrew : you're probably learning that there are two set's of squence numbering - one for male and one for female ; if you writing something it's matter depends where you written it and if you'll talking - the sad part is that most of the naitive hebrew speakers make mistakes and usually no one cares or even know it's a mistake. example : 10 shekels = asaRa Sh'kalim. in the streets you'll hear "Eser Shekel" it's more of a slang but it's getting popular and like this exapmle there are many more. There are people around us that always "jump" when they hear a mistake like this and fixing it. mostly it's the old generation that still care for this part of the language. so don'w break you're head figure it out. It's hard part and as a native speaker And this problem slipping in my talking here and there. not a big deal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 70 of 84
13 April 2011 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
benzion wrote:

ok. need to share this. If anyone here want to ask Hebrew questions he is welcome to ask me. A word about the
Hebrew : you're probably learning that there are two set's of squence numbering - one for male and one for
female ; if you writing something it's matter depends where you written it and if you'll talking - the sad part is
that most of the naitive hebrew speakers make mistakes and usually no one cares or even know it's a mistake.
example : 10 shekels = asaRa Sh'kalim. in the streets you'll hear "Eser Shekel" it's more of a slang but it's getting
popular and like this exapmle there are many more. There are people around us that always "jump" when they
hear a mistake like this and fixing it. mostly it's the old generation that still care for this part of the language. so
don'w break you're head figure it out. It's hard part and as a native speaker And this problem slipping in my
talking here and there. not a big deal.

I am so guilty of making these mistakes!!! Like you said, many native speakers make the same mistakes and I've
adopted some of those patterns. I do have a good friend of the older generation who corrects me, but when I try
to correct my native speaker friends they laugh at me and call me a yekke :)

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 71 of 84
13 April 2011 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Christina--Thank you! It is amazing to be surrounded by native speakers of one of my favorite languages.   
Everyone I encounter is also very encouraging, which is incredibly helpful.

akkadboy wrote:
How did you start learning Russian ? The language has been in my wishlist for years
(together with Persian) but I have been disappointed with every book I gave a try to. I have ordered the old TY
Russian (as the Turkish one was great) but it would be good to have other references.

If you need help with your French, feel free to ask !

! זײַ געזונט

shalom aleichem, akkadboy. For Russian I'm using Assmil and the free Princeton course.   I've been obsessed
with Russian for a long time for reasons that I can't quite articulate, but I started learning this year. I really
appreciate your offer of help with French. I will take you up on that :) zay gezunt

nogoodnik
United States
Joined 5513 days ago

372 posts - 461 votes 

Message 72 of 84
20 April 2011 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Ugh, I have been sick. I'm lying here in bed as I type on my laptop with a cup of hot tea in my hand. It's Passover
so I am of course craving bread and pastries. Language-wise, the input has been plentiful in the form of Israeli TV
and French books.

I am on lesson 9 of Pimsleur French 2. My short term goals are to finish French Pimsleur, do something in Russian
each day and keep watching Israeli TV and speaking to my Israeli friends. I'd also like to get rid of this cold :)

I've also had a few wanderlust sessions with Persian, Turkish, and German. After I'm fluent in French at the end of
this year, I'll take on another language.

This discussion contains 84 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version