Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 9 of 82
05 January 2011 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday.
2.25 Hebrew hours, much spelling practice with Anki, Etzion excercises to lesson seven. And 30 minutes of Greek, reading through the pdf course lesson 3, but I have to go through it again and do the exercises.

Today.
2 hours of Hebrew. I have drilled the forms of של a bit, the use of personal pronouns as copula, and some prepositions. Now Etzion lesson 9. And a lot of wrting and reading again.

Question: So far I have mostly avoided the cursive alphabet. I thought that it for now would be better to concentrate only on the print version and that the cursvie one would then in the future be much easier to obtain. But as I reflected a bit on my learning strategy in the last weeks I came to the conclusion that it also could be much worse to get used to an almost new alphabet when already speaking the language. So how did/do you that?

And 1.25 hours Greek. Some Anki reviews and re-reading the first pages of Poeschel. Much about the history of Greek and its pronunciation in the different stages of its development, and about the linguistic-philosophical battle of the Homer translation by Voß, who had claimed to translate even the names with a long η. "To bäh or not to bäh, that is the question", a satirical critique titled back then. That's why because they had just found out that some Greek verbs were based on animal sounds (e.g. of cows and sheep), and that this would support the long η. But this new approach did not prevail, so, for example, today you still speak of "eleison" instead of "eleäson" (and, by the way, of the New Testament, although it is a misleading translation of "diatheke" etc., I didn't know that...).
1 person has voted this message useful

Ester
Groupie
Joined 5611 days ago

64 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 82
06 January 2011 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
Question: So far I have mostly avoided the cursive alphabet. I thought that it for now would be better to concentrate only on the print version and that the cursvie one would then in the future be much easier to obtain. But as I reflected a bit on my learning strategy in the last weeks I came to the conclusion that it also could be much worse to get used to an almost new alphabet when already speaking the language. So how did/do you that?

I don't think it terribly matters which alphabet you start with and use at the beginning (some textbooks and methods actually get you started with the cursive), but I do suggest not delaying the other form for too long. You're actually going to need both - the print to read and the cursive to write (it's a lot more practical). That may be a way to implement it, by simply switching to handwriting in cursive while continuing to read (and type, if you write on the computer) in print, which is anyway the standard use of the two among Hebrew speakers.

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 11 of 82
06 January 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for your advice! It's really a shame that I have delayed it for so long. But I fear that I could have misunderstood what you mean by "switching to handwriting". Did you suggest a learning method here, like reading print and - switching - jotting down words in cursive handwriting? Or did you just mean, for example, that after reading a questionnaire in print you have to fill in in cursive handrwriting?

Ester
Groupie
Joined 5611 days ago

64 posts - 114 votes 
Speaks: Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 82
06 January 2011 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I use the cursive form when writing anything by hand (as opposed to typing, since when you type on the computer, you're probably going to use the print form). This includes jotting down notes when reading, doing grammar exercises, filling questionnaires, making vocabulary lists, basically anything you do with a pencil on the paper rather than on the computer.

The situation that I designed for myself at an early stage was that my "written input" was nearly 100% print (unless it's a handwritten letter, or a random handwriting sample in a book, everything you read will be print), but my "written output" was nearly 100% cursive, so that's how I balanced the two. Today I still function pretty much the same way when it comes to writing Hebrew, I use the cursive form for anything that I write by hand, and the print form for typing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 13 of 82
06 January 2011 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Ok, now it is all clear for me. Thanks again!

Since the only cursive training I randomly had was at Etzion's book, I will now practise it much more regularly.

Today 1 hour Hebrew. Etzion now at lesson 10.

And no Greek.

Mistral
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5873 days ago

160 posts - 179 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, German

Message 14 of 82
09 January 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
Method

Throughout the year I will count the learning hours and mention the smaller hurdles I have taken.

That's a great method! I was thinking about doing the same and even bought myself a notebook to write down any slacking off and hours spent on learning. My problem is that it's really hard for me to focus on one thing and everything seems to be distracting me! Now I'm also distracted, I should be learning Polish for exams but I'm just browsing through HTLAL as always.
Good luck, don't give up on studying! Hope you don't mind if I copy your method and start noting in my log time spent on learning ;)

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 15 of 82
10 January 2011 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
The last days I've reviewed the exercises from Etzion until lesson 16, where the first unit (of eight units) ends. I still have some problems with listening comprehension and have to re-listen especially to the texts of the final lessons of unit one several times again. They are apparently spoken at normal fast Israeli speed.
I've also began the Colloquial Hebrew and I am currently at the end of unit 1 (of 14 units). A new ressource, which I don't know yet how to use best. If I go ahead with it now then January will become a pure month of repition, which maybe wouldn't be the worst what could happen. But it definitly should be finished at the end of the year as well, because it seems to end on similar level like SZT and Etzion.
After having added so many Anki cards on the first two, three days, I've only added one more card until now. I also don't know what could be the best way to keep track of my Anki progress. Counting back from 2.250 or even up from sero would not be that graphic, I think. For the next weeks I will try the weekly average of added cards. (For reaching my Anki goal I would have to add an average of 43 cards per week.) The problem here is that there were two days before the first week of the year started and that makes calculation a little bit, not more difficult, but in the course of the year maybe more confusing. And I'm not concealing that I owe Ellasevia much of the overall structure of the representation of the following numbers.
And a very short report for Greek: I just read Poeschel and he is now talking about the phonetics (comparing also Ancient with Modern Greek).

Week 1: January 3rd - January 9th

Hebrew

Total Study Time this Week: 10,25 hours (1,45 h/day)
TST in 2011: 13,25 hours (1,45 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 8
Average per week in 2011: 49,5

- SZT: lessons 22-24
- Etzion: repition of lessons 1-16
- Colloquial Hebrew: end of unit 1
- Hebrewpodcasts: podcast 6

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 3,33 hours (0,5 h/day)
TST in 2011: 4 hours (0,45 h/day)

- read Poeschel up to page 47 (of 352)
- Mehr's pdf course: lessons 1-3

To give a short outline for the goals of next week: reviewing the first Hellas lessons as well as reading more Poeschel, and, for Hebrew, hopefully, finishing - as the main target - the repitition of Etzion's unit two (lessons 17-30) and drilling the grammar, and progressing with the rest at least a little bit. And for both Hebrew and Greek increasing the hours a little bit.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 10 January 2011 at 12:20am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 16 of 82
16 January 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
I can't be satisfied with this week. Although I reached my main targets (Etzion repitition, starting Hellas, progressing with Poeschel), I could have easily done more and did not even maintain my study time, which decreased a bit.

Week 2: January 10th - January 16th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 10 hours (1,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 23,25 hours (1,45 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 30
Average per week in 2011: 41

- reviewed Etzion lessons 14-30
- finished unit 1 of Colloquial Hebrew

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 1,5 hours (0,2 h/day)
TST in 2011: 5,5 hours (0,35 h/day)

- read Poeschel up to page 68
- reviewed the first two lessons of Hellas

So I finally started the Hellas lessons again. When I have worked with it during the past semesters I translated the first two units, which together include 16 lessons (from 150 altogether) and also additional lessons for repitition. I basically came to the Aorist and have read on a bit further too, but have forgotten the most of it now, except the a and o declensions and the present tense.
Apart from my slow progress with it ever since this is a really lovely book. Every unit is named after a part of Greece, e.g. unit 1 Crete and unit 2 Argolis. And almost every lesson has coloured pictures and/or some history or art related remarks, which all refer to the topic of the lesson. The only thing that bothers me is that the book could be a bit more extensive, but it's a school book and pupils in most cases have to, I guess, pay for it and Ancient Greek in most cases does start quite late in German schools, if it is offered at all. In the end it is a very good book, very pleasant, and together with the Grammar book well understandable.
So in the next time this will be my main ressource, which it was meant to be from the beginning. First I will review the first 16 lessons and drill what I have forgotten. Then I must find a good pace to proceed. Poeschel must wait until then, because he jumpes already too much forward, but is 'entertaining' as always.

In the next two weeks I will have quite a lot to do with university work, so I'm hoping that I will at least maintain my current study time and therefor reduce procastinating a bit. My efforts for Greek definitely were not enough this week.

Hebrew: I will again practise listening comprehensing with the last lessons of Etzion's unit 2 - it's already astonishing how fast it becomes better. After that I will begin unit 3 and will hopefully make great steps, because in comparison to SZT I proceeded there during the last year with a slower pace and so this means it will be mostly repitition. The focus will lie on Etzion in the next weeks and besides that I aim for a moderate progress with SZT and Colloquial Hebrew, maybe one or two lessons each in the next two weeks. And then there are the Hebrewpodcasts and the FSI course... And finally, I hope to manage producing a little and simple text in the next days, the first time I will write more than one sentence. I am so excited but this also casts a shadow on the last year, which was an ineffective language learning year at last.

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version