5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 57 of 82
28 April 2011 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen wrote:
Ma avarech by Daliah Lavi. She is also a septaglot.

What a fascinating song of Daliah Lavi, even if I don't understand the Hebrwe language in which she sings. Thanks for posting the link here! In a post under this video somebody explains, why she is a polyglot.

Quote screenfocus on You Tube: "Yes, she is a sabra. Daliah Lavi was born in Haifa. She had a German mother who immigratet from Hitler Germany. Her father came from Russia. So she was raised in the languages German, russian and hebrew. In the age of 12 she left Israel to study ballet in Stockholm for 4 years. After her military service in Israel she lived and worked as an actress in Paris, Rome and London. Since the early 70s she lives in the US. Her cv might explain that Daliah Lavi probably has an accent in any language."

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 28 April 2011 at 8:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 58 of 82
29 April 2011 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
I love the song very much as well, and I don't understand too much of it either, although I had a look on the lyrics of course. In 2009, she had her probably last public show in Germany, and it was live on ARD, but this totally went past me.

I have calculated a bit and made on the first page of this thread a summary of the four-week's numbers. And I also copied the four-weekly reports into this message.

Fasulye, if you liked Ma avarech, then you maybe also like Rachok, rachok by Chava Alberstein and Yerushalayim shel sahav by Shuli Natan (in case you didn't know it yet). And of course there are many more wonderful songs.

Have a nice weekend!

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5791 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 59 of 82
29 April 2011 at 12:28pm | IP Logged 
Meelämmchen, I found a version of "Ma Avarech" sung by the singer Zehava Ben. In this version you can read the lyrics in Hebrew as well as the English translation.

Song "Ma Avarech" in Hebrew with lyrics and English translation

Enjoy!

Fasulye

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 60 of 82
03 May 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I have achieved my last week's goals. As I have recently calculated how I was doing with Etzion and SZT, I saw that I made a huge step forward. When I was prognosing what I have to do per week in the end of January, I still had to do 2,4 Etzion lessons per week to finish the course by the end of the year, now it's only 1,1 per week anymore. Regarding the SZT course the to-do-average has remained at 1 lesson every 2 weeks. So things are looking good here. This week I hope I can do two Etzion lessons and one Hellas lesson. With lesson 18 I have began the Plutarch weeks in the Hellas course (but only two more to go). That's why I have changed the Socrates picture into one of a Plutarch statue. It's larger than I wanted it to be, but I couldn't find better small pictures.

Week 17: April 25th - May 1st

Hebrew

TST this Week: 10,75 hours (1,5 h/day)
TST in 2011: 161 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 50
Average per week in 2011: 44

- Etzion lesson 52
- SZT lesson 33

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 1,5 hour (0,2 h/day)
TST in 2011: 23,25 hours (0,2 h/day)

- Hellas lesson 18

Fasulye P.S.: I did like more the Daliah Lavi version. But thanks for the link anyway.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 03 May 2011 at 9:12am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 61 of 82
09 May 2011 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
This week was actually not bad, I finished what I wanted to do, but just did not spend so much time on it, although, for Ancient Greek and considering my pace with it, I will still need another week to repeat the Grassmann's law and a new nominalization rule, introduced in last Hellas lesson. Really tricky. Right now translating is a bit like puzzling. Hopefully, I will get used to it soon. So, I don't know if I can finish the next lesson already this week, since I also hope to finish Etzion's unit 4 this week, which means after its lesson 55 there are again a lot of exercises and repitition. Also, it's time again for the next SZT lesson, which is the first of two lessons about HIF'IL past tense. I hope I don't get distracted, so I can do all of this.
Oh, a lot of remembrance days in Israel these days. Tomorrow, for example, is Yom Ha'atzmaut, 63 years of Israel.

Week 18: May 2nd - May 8th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 6,75 hours (1 h/day)
TST in 2011: 167,75 hours (1,3 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 16
Average per week in 2011: 43

- Etzion lessons 53 and 54

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 2,25 hour (0,3 h/day)
TST in 2011: 25,5 hours (0,2 h/day)

- began Hellas lesson 19

edit: picture change.

Edited by Meelämmchen on 09 May 2011 at 2:09pm

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 62 of 82
16 May 2011 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
A very good week (in Hebrew), of which I think I really learned a lot. I finished Etzion's unit 4. This time only one additional reading exercise was provided. It's still not easy to read fluently even texts with mostly known words, but when there are unknown words, my reading finally comes to a stop. The HIFIL past tense actually extends over three lessons, not only over two as I thought. I had the idea in the beginning of the week to get through HIFIL past tense completely this week, and I really am almost through, but the last lesson then was also about HIFIL imperative and nominalization, and since it is quite a big lesson and therefore a bit too much new stuff for one week, I was content with two SZT lessons. So I am going to complete it this week. Also, 70 new Anki cards, and 400 reviews yesterday. There always are some words that are hard to learn, so I see them almost everday. Then, with others I have some spelling problems, but which I know. I put them to "again" (or what it is called in English Anki) now and then, to see them more often. So, with adding regularly new cards, I just don't get the review numbers down. I wish they were, but I can't really complain. On the other hand, it's nice to see words that you have added three or four months ago that, when showing up and after knowing them, will be back only in one and a half month. I hope that will happen more often in the future. And כן and לא, one of the first words I added, I think, they will only be repeated now in eight or nine months. What a nice programme!

Learning Ancient Greek is just not working well at the moment. Maybe I will try leaving out some exercises and being content with a more passive knowledge of the grammar. So instead of memorizing things too often, I will try how it works with just looking badly learned things up in the grammar book when I need to. It's sounding not like a good learning strategy, but if it makes me learning more often, it could be better in the end than going ahead like now.

Week 19: May 9th - May 15th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 12 hours (1,7 h/day)
TST in 2011: 179,75 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 70

- Etzion lesson 55 (end of unit 4)
- SZT lessons 34 and 35

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,75 hour
TST in 2011: 26,25 hours (0,2 h/day)

- finished Hellas lesson 19

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 63 of 82
23 May 2011 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
The last days I couldn't get done too much due to health and time issues, and in the first days of the week I was also pretty much out of my learning rhythm. Considering this, it was a good week.
I think, I am doing better with the Hebrew past tense now. I don't need to think too much about the personal endings anymore. Nonetheless, still four binyanim to go (hopefully, they are not too different), and I also decided to modify all my Anki verb cards, adding to the verb its first and third persons singular in past tense, which allows you to easily build up the verb in the other persons. This way, I will have a daily contact with past tense and it should get better the next weeks. Yes, and more writing in past tense, ans speaking...
Yiddish. I just started it some day this week after my half hour of Greek. I don't know if it's a wise decision to start it at this stage of my Hebrew. But since it's so German, the main problem will probably only be reading, so not to mix up Hebrew and Yiddish pronunciation. I think, I will buy one or two books and give it a try.
Ancient Greek? Don't ask, don't tell!

Week 20: May 16th - May 22nd

Hebrew

TST this Week: 10 hours (1,4 h/day)
TST in 2011: 189,75 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 48

- Etzion lesson 56
- SZT lessons 36

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,5 hour
TST in 2011: 26,75 hours (0,2 h/day)

- began Hellas lesson 20

Yiddish

TST this week: 0,5 hour

- a first view on alphabet and pronunciation

Summary Weeks 17-20, April 25th - May 22nd

Hebrew

TST: 39,5 hours
New Anki cards: 184

- Etzion lessons 52-56
- SZT lessons 33-36

Ancient Greek

TST: 5 hours

- Hellas lessons 18 and 19

Yiddish

TST: 0,5 hour

- alphabet, pronunciation

Edited by Meelämmchen on 23 May 2011 at 11:49am

Meelämmchen
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5027 days ago

214 posts - 249 votes 

Message 64 of 82
30 May 2011 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
The plan has changed. After thinking it over, I decided to not begin Yiddish this year anymore. German ressources are rather rare and I wasn't sure about the English ones. On the other hand, Yiddish is still to near to Hebrew and I just don't want to get confused by learning them both. Instead, I will now seriously start polishing my English. I bought a new English grammar book and together with the ressources back from school and internet stuff, my goal will be to go through the whole grammar from the scratch again. When I had a look on present tense progressive last week, I knew I have to do it. Even with this rather easy things you can do a lot wrong, although it may be minor mistakes. I think it will help me counting time here as well to keep up with it every week (or feeling bad if not). I will count learning grammar and using Anki. I will create a new Anki deck for English-German and will add to it regularly advanced vocabulary I come across as well as some grammar rules. So it's only advanced vocabulary I will add. Also, I hope to watch a movie in English every week or second (but won't count this in). And I think I will try using a weekly schedule. Monday and Friday Ancient Greek (at least one hour) and Wednesday and Sunday English (one hour). Adding to it something like one and a half hour of Hebrew every day, I would be more than happy if if it's working.
This week Hebrew started good and got worse, again partly due to health issues, of which I hope I am over it now (or in the next days). Just one lesson this week, which is at least something. Again I realized that when I do not concentrate on listening it is very hard for me to follow spoken text. Though reading it while listening makes it easier. For grammar I spend some time on the use of אצל. This week I will again only work with Etzion. At the moment most of it here is repitition. But it has past tense exercises, which I should write down more often, and audio as well.
So, a new plan and a new week, while a mini heatwave concludes May.

Week 21: May 23rd - May 29th

Hebrew

TST this Week: 8,25 hours (1,2 h/day)
TST in 2011: 198 hours (1,35 h/day)

New Anki Cards this week: 34

- Etzion lesson 57

Ancient Greek

TST this week: 0,25 hour
TST in 2011: 27 hours (0,2 h/day)

- Anki reviews

Edited by Meelämmchen on 30 May 2011 at 10:33am

This discussion contains 82 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version