Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 115
09 January 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
joanthemaid wrote:
Solfrid Cristin, thank you so much for your help. Would you happen to know if such keyboards are sold online somewhere, and if not do you know the English name for them? I always work at my desk, so an extra keyboard shouldn't be a problem.

I am afraid I don't, because they ordered it for me at work, but I see now that you have gotten your stickers.

I like your nic by the way. I went to school in Orleans when I was a kid, and they were very much into Jeanne d'Arc. In her memory I have planted some crocuses in my garden called Jeanne d'Arc (they are of a pure white of course).

I am happy to see also that you have decided to do Russian - we seem to be quite a crowd who do Russian now, so I hope we can all help eachtother, regardless of team. I have had a lot of help allready from people outside my team. Anyhow, best of luck!
1 person has voted this message useful

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Russian, German

Message 18 of 115
09 January 2011 at 12:29pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin: Thanks and good luck to you. I opted for the stickers in the end, in case I want to study on the train or somewhere I can't put another keybord. I fugure, as long as I don't have more than two writing systems on my keyboard they will do. I'm actually thinking of adding the Spanish accents to it, but there aren't many (accent and tilde only I think) so it should be doable.
Edit - then again the keys aren't in the same order as in French... :'(

Petrklic: Thanks for the corrections and lol. I really have forgotten my basics and so far you have been very useful (in response to your doubts in your own log).I will endeavour not to piss too slowly.

Edited by joanthemaid on 09 January 2011 at 1:50pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 19 of 115
09 January 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Weekly report:

I still have a little Russian to do today but I'll start my weekly entry:

Spanish:
80 pages of intensive active reading ( Looking up every word I'm not 100% sure, looking for synonyms of "interesting" words, going back for synonyms I though I saw in the book before: it took me about 4 hours. I know, it's a lot of time for 80 pages, but it is intensive. Once I'm done with vocab, I re-read the passage normally.
Next week I want to do at least 125 pages, even if I can't pull off intensive study of all the vocab (I work on the train a lot so I don't always have access to my dictionary/the Internet). I'll also force myself to watch a thing or two. French news are boring right now so it should leave me time for Spanish ones (hoping they're better).

Russian: So far, reviewed lessons 16, 17, and 18 of the Princeton course. They're beginner level, so it's a stroll. Surprisingly, I still know some of the dialogues by heart, too.

Edit: Reviewed the first 21 chapters of "я говорю по-русски", really basic stuff, a breeze, though I had forgotten a few words, mostly the more uncommon ones or the ones that weren't also used in the Princeton course, particularly school stuff such as tetrad, karandash (sorry, having a pb with my language choices on my computer). Anyway, I basically did the nominative and locative singular parts of the book (A1 part). Took me about 2.5 hours. Next week I'm planning on finishing the review of the first booklet and at least three hours of Princeton.

I'll also have to work a bit on my various papers too :'(.

Spanish 10 hours
Russian 3 hours (I really need to start studying more Russian)

Edited by joanthemaid on 09 January 2011 at 8:01pm

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5371 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 20 of 115
11 January 2011 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
Just curious, for Spanish are you studying more Spain-Spanish or Latin American-Spanish ?
Also he was right about slang pisat in Russian, e.g. "poidu posu" = I'm going to take a piss

Edited by bramsterdam on 11 January 2011 at 11:05pm

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 21 of 115
12 January 2011 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Bramsterdam: technically I want to speak the Spanish way and I watch Spain-Spanish TV, but I tend to read more latin American literature, as there's simply more famous contemporary Latin American writers. I think my accent is mostly Spanish (and French, to my greatest dismay, but until I go there there's not much more I can do about that), but still reading in other variants is good, because what's the point of learning such a widespread language if you don't understand all of its speakers. Of course for the moment I'm only getting vocab, but I figure if I ever go somewhere, with a little effort I should be able to understand people in a couple of days. Once I have a more settled accent I'll start watching Latin American things I suppose.
And thanks for the correction (or confirmation thereof) :s.

I'm going to write down what I've done so far this week so I don't forget it on Sunday:
- Lessons 22-28 of "я говорю по-русски". I'm supposed to do more today but I'm sick so I'm not gonna take the train, so I'll probably do some Princeton instead. That means I might not finish Book 1 by the end of the week, but it's better to do listening/ reading and learning that just learning, I think.
- In Spanish, I read two articles in El País and watched about 20 minutes of TV on RTVE (about stolen babies in the 70s and some guy who had paid for his house completely and yet was squatting in it for a reason that I didn't catch.)

EDIT: And just when I posted this a pneumatic drill started working just under my window. :'(

Edited by joanthemaid on 12 January 2011 at 2:28pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5278 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 22 of 115
12 January 2011 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Mucha suerte con tus estudios de castellano, Joanthemaid. Estoy segura de que cuando te vayas a España tendrás un accento castellano muy rapido. Personalmente tengo un accento andaluz, pero trato de hablar "bien" y más despacio con los madrileños.

bramsterdam
Bilingual Hexaglot
NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5371 days ago

106 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: Dutch, French*, English*, German, Spanish, Russian

Message 23 of 115
13 January 2011 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
I see. Yeah I wish I could speak/spoke more like Spain-Spanish, unfortunately I speak more like Mexican Spanish if anything since I mostly only speak Spanish with friends from Mexico and use Mexican vocabulary. If I tried to emulate the Spain accent while speaking with them, well, not sure the reactions haha. But yeah I like the Spain-Spanish sound a lot more but.. I don´t really know anyone from Spain so, yeah.

joanthemaid
Triglot
France
Joined 5414 days ago

483 posts - 559 votes 

Message 24 of 115
13 January 2011 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
I think I'll probably go to Barcelona, maybe Sevilla though... So much for the Castellano accent! Then again I don't mind having a regional accent, as long as it's Spanish. I wasn't sure Barcelona was a good idea at first, but it's really THE place to see and people told me people there don't mind speaking Castillan to foreigners.
Bramsterdam; I actually do the same in English. My accent is mostly English, because it stuck before I ever went to the US, but after spending a year there and with my American husband, I mostly use American vocab. So yeah, I say "elevata" and "jackhamma".
Then again, that's also the case for expats, so why should we feel guilty about it?

Edited by joanthemaid on 13 January 2011 at 1:59pm

This discussion contains 115 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version