Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 1 of 27
31 December 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
Before beginning this journal and TAC 2011, I would like to thank everyone who read and
contributed to my language learning log for 2010. Also, I would like to wish everyone good luck
in their studies this year.

Language Learning Plan for 2011.

Here you'll find my plan for 2011. I've decided to break the year into three phases, namely,
Winter Semester (January-April), Summer (May-August), and Fall Semester (September-December).
Before the Summer and Fall Semester phases, I'll review my progress, and update my goals based on
this progress. Here's how I feel each phase will likely end up:
Winter - Great for Spanish, with sufficient time for Italian and German.
Summer - Great for Spanish, Italian and German, also time for another project (explained later).
Perhaps a break from formal study of Spanish.
Fall - Dependant on university course schedule.

Italian
I plan to continue studying Italian. As a Christmas gift, I received the book Teach Yourself:
Essential Italian Grammar
. There are 22 standalone chapters along with a grammar appendix. I
have read the first chapter, and so far it seems like a great reference. I plan to continue
talking regularly with my Italian friend and also to expand my vocabulary. In addition, I still
have to complete Pimsleur Levels II and III (30 lessons each). I may not have time for the
Pimsleur lessons, so that might have to be delayed until the Summer. I think that my level in
Italian is approximately A2, and I would like to be at B2 by this time next year. For a
dictionary I'll be using Collins Italian Dictionary.

Spanish
This semester I'll be taking three courses toward my minor in Spanish. One is a Spanish history
course that is conducted in English, but the other two are conducted entirely in Spanish. These
two courses are "Intermediate Spanish 2" and "Introduction to Latin American Literature". These
courses will likely be my only formal study of Spanish until the Summer, but perhaps I'll also
work on my speaking ability. I got an A- in "Intermediate Spanish 1" last semester, and I hope to
get a better mark in each Spanish class this semester. As for a textbook, I'm pretty sure we'll
continue to use IMAGINA español sin barreras, 2e. For a dictionary I'll be using The
Penguin Spanish Dictionary

German
I took the beginner level German last semester, and I really enjoyed learning the language.
Unfortunately, I don't have any more room for elective courses. The textbook used in the course
was Berliner Platz 1 Neu: German for Beginners by Langenscheidt. We covered the first half
of the text, so I plan to finish it this Winter. The goal of the text is for the reader to have
completed the A1 level. For a dictionary I'll be using Collins Easy Learning German
Dictionary
. I was also lucky enough to get a copy of Pimsleur Basic German (10
lessons) for almost free a while ago, which has been collecting dust on my bookshelf. I doubt
I'll have time to use it during the Winter, so I'll likely use it in the Summer.

Other Projects
In the summer, I'll review my progress for Italian, Spanish and German, and continue my study of
these languages accordingly. Right now, my best guess is that in the Summer I'll study Italian
intensely and German at a moderate level. As for Spanish, I'll probably take a break from formal
study, and instead focus on conversation. This could include a road trip to the Spanish speaking
parts of the USA.

For fun, I might also dedicate a few weeks to another language. Right now, the best candidates
are Catalan and Icelandic. I would likely use the websites
www.parla.cat or
www.icelandiconline.is

For all those who plan to follow my progress, I hope you enjoy reading. Please feel free to
comment!
2 persons have voted this message useful

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5537 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French

Message 2 of 27
03 January 2011 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Hi Canada,

I see you rate your Italian at around A2 level. I would say that my level of Italian is
probably around the same at the moment. I have read elsewhere on this forum that upon
completing all 3 levels of Pimsleur one could expect to be around A2 level. Have you
started any of Pimsleur Italian yet. It is incredibly boring but it seems it could be a
decent base for a language despite its limited scope.
1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 3 of 27
03 January 2011 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Last winter I completed Pimsleur Level I, but I was busy with school and it took longer
than I expected. My original plan was to complete levels I and II (60 days), but in
roughly 90 days I finished only level I (fail!). Then in the summer I just focused on
Spanish, and some Catalan, since I was going to Spain. This fall semester was also a
write-off for formal study of Italian, but I did do some reading and lots of conversing
with a friend. Anyways, now I've started Pimsleur II and I am currently on the 3rd
lesson. I have a relatively easy semester, so I should be able to stick with it and
hopefully finish level III as well, by April at the latest. (I know I said in my first
post that I might not have time, but I've realised I likely will have time for Pimsleur).

I agree that the lessons are quite boring, since they can be very repetitive. However;
it's the repetitiveness that makes it stick, so in the end it's worth it.

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5341 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 4 of 27
04 January 2011 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
If I may suggest, there is a great workbook which is only 10 dollars and thusly, is a renewable resource,
called Italian Verb Drills, which is published by McGraw Hill. I think that it gives great practice on the
various verb tenses and usage. It is also printed for Spanish, French and German verbs as well.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 5 of 27
04 January 2011 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
@JPike: Okay thanks, I may have to consider getting that book. In December, I put a
good amount of effort into verbs. Although, without any exercise sheets, all I could do
was write out the various conjugations over and over and over... that got very boring
to say the least!

Since my last update I've only studied Italian. I've been working through
Pimsleur level II, and a few minutes ago I just completed lesson five. The lessons have
been going great so far. I've given the correct answer for over 90% of the questions
that it asks. When I do make mistakes, they're usually not too far off from the correct
answer. I'm happy with my progress so far.

As for the Teach Yourself Italian grammar book that I've been reading, it has mostly
been a review of material that I've seen before. I was already familiar with many of
the concepts on a subconscious level, but it's good to now understand the exact grammar
rules. For example, when to use the definite article lo instead of il.
I've flipped ahead through the book, and there is definitely lots of new material for
me, so I'm looking forward to reaching these sections.

Last right I watched a documentary on the RAI website (Radiotelevisione Italiana). It
was about archaeology in Oman focusing on the symbolic meaning of the snake. There
would be a scene in Oman, usually at an archaeological site. Then a scene in Italy,
usually showcasing some cultural aspects or research, then back to Oman, etc. It was
somewhat hard to follow, especially when they showed an underground water tunnel in
Oman, then showed one in Italy. I have no idea what this has to do with snakes. Either
way, I wasn't watching it to learn about snakes, but instead to listen to (and
hopefully understand) some Italian language. I wonder if I might be better off to
follow some sort of fiction drama show, which would likely have less jargon and more
colloquial language and expressions. If anyone knows of any good examples, please let
me know! As for the documentary, if anyone is interested, the URL is
http://www.rai.tv/dl/RaiTV/programmi/media/ContentItem-ddae8 bc1-2cbb-4dd3-9f5e-
ae646dd20318.html.

Tomorrow is my first day back to class, and as such, my study of Spanish resumes
tomorrow. As for German, that will likely resume once I get used to my new
school schedule.

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 6 of 27
08 January 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I've been back to school for three days now, and I have been to both of my
Spanish classes. Both classes were just an introduction to the material that
will be covered this semester. As for the language class, it seems it will be very
grammar focused. (Which is good!) There are less students in the class than in the
first intermediate level course, so I think the class will run a little better. The
professor also made the point of stating that there will only be minimal English; only
for complicated explanations and perhaps so course requirements (homework, etc.) are
completely understood. As for the literature class, I'm really looking forward to it.
There are only about half a dozen students in the class, which I'm sure will facilitate
discussion instead of just a lecture from the professor. Its focus will be a survey of
stories and a few films from all/most of the countries in Latin America. The course is
entirely in Spanish, so this will be a good opportunity to improve my speaking skills.

While on topic of my Spanish speaking skills, I should mention a frequent problem that
I have had to struggle with. Even though there is much Spanish conversation in class
and that I often chat online with my friend from Italy, I principally learn/use Spanish
on written assignments for school and learn Italian through audio Pimsleur lessons.
This has led me to subconsciously want to always write Spanish and speak
Italian. When first try to speak Spanish, Italian always tries to come out instead. The
problem usually goes away after a few minutes of speaking Spanish, but it has led to
some annoying/embarrassing situations! One example, I ran into a former Spanish
professor in the hall at school.

"Buenos días, ¿cómo eres tú?"
"Sto bene, grazie, e Lei?"
"...Bien..."
"Mi dispiace, a volte io parlo Italiano quando voglio parlare spagnolo!"
"Tú eres hablando Italiano..."
etc. etc.
Let's just say I made myself look like a complete idiot! It was also pretty funny
though.

As for study of Italian, I've only completed lesson 6 of Pimsleur since last
time. I doubt I'll be able to find time to finish a lesson each day, but hopefully I
can finish level II by the first week of February.

Edited by canada38 on 08 January 2011 at 4:21pm

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 7 of 27
13 January 2011 at 5:01am | IP Logged 
Today was a snow day, so unfortunately, my Spanish language class was cancelled. :( For
those who perhaps live in a warm climate and are unfamiliar with the term 'Snowday', it
means a day when an institution (in my case, university) shuts down for the day because
there is a big snow storm.

I think my Latin American literature class is going to give a huge boost to my Spanish.
Last class was the first real lecture, which was an overview of Spanish authors from
~1500 to today. I forgot to mention before, that I technically don't have the
prerequisites to be in the class, since it is a 3rd year course and conducted entirely
in Spanish (I am in the 2nd semester of 2nd year Spanish). This will force me to catch
up really quick, which is good! In preparation for tomorrow's class, I had to read some
of the text by Bartolomé de las Casas (1484-1566) called Brevísima relación de la
destrucción de las Indias
. He was a Spanish missionary (I think). He described his
impressions of the native American peoples, of whom he had a very favourable opinion.
He also mentions some of the ills caused by the Spanish Conquest. Regardless, I was
impressed with myself that I understood ~80% of this text. I'm pretty sure that it
hasn't been rewritten in modern Spanish either.

For Italian, I've completed lesson 8 of Pimsleur II. I haven't read any further in the
grammar book. Hopefully I can make some good progress by the end of the weekend.

To all those who are following, sorry for the short update, but I've got to go to bed!

¡Buenas noches!

Edited by canada38 on 13 January 2011 at 5:09am

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 

Message 8 of 27
28 January 2011 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
It has been a long time since my last update. For anyone following my progress, I
haven't given up!! I have been making MAJOR progress with Spanish. Having four Spanish
lectures a week has been a great help. In the grammar class we have covered el futuro,
el condicional, los pronombres relativos, and how to properly use the subjunctive in
acverbial clauses. The vocabulary has focused on the environment/conservation and human
rights/government terms. We also watched two short films, which I found fairly easy to
understand. As for the literature class, we have covered several short texts. Some were
prose and some were poetry. My comprehension is improving rapidly, and I'm starting to
feel like I can sit back and enjoy the lecture without trying to understand what's
being said.

Unfortunately, I've been way to busy with school work to focus on Italian like I should
be. However; I was fortunate enough to find an organization distribution Bibles at my
university... in various languages! Now I can read the Scriptures and practice Italian
at the same time!!

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version