Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 25 of 27
28 June 2011 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Well I finally got to try out my Italian language skills in Italy! I found that over
the two weeks while I was there, I was able to express myself successfully in almost
all situations. When I could not, it was almost always only due to lack of vocabulary.
Almost everyone with whom I spoke seemed to understand me, and gave me responses back
in Italian, which I in turn understood. In short, I'm very pleased with my progress.
However; I know I still have a lot of work ahead of me. Expanding my vocabulary and
focusing on some more advanced grammar (yet to be determined) is probably my best bet
right now. Flash cards are a good method for me for vocabulary. I've never used them
for Italian, but before I went to Spain last summer, I gave myself a good base in
Catalan using the method. Taking advantage of absolutely every opportunity I had to
speak Italian was certainly a wise decision!

As for my vacation, it was really fun! I was travelling with a friend and our
girlfriends. We spent a week in Rome, then some more time in more northern parts of
Italy, mostly in Cinque Terre but also stops in Siena and Como. We also spent some time
in Lugano, Switzerland (mostly Italian speaking). Our last stop was a few days in
London, England. It was a great trip, and most importantly (well from the perspective
of someone like me and everyone else on this website) I got to practice my Italian in
Italy!

Now another update, not overly relevant to my language progress but still worth
stating. My girlfriend was recently in hospital. It's not my business to state her
condition online, but don't worry, everything is alright and she should soon be back to
normal :) . However; when the nurse was collecting her information, weight, height,
allergies, religion, etc. well you guessed it, one of the questions was which languages
does she speak. Her response was English and French. I kinda laughed at that point,
imagining the nurse's face if I were to say, "English, French, Italian, Spanish, basic
German, Latin if I try hard enough to remember it, and I can understand Catalan and
Portuguese no problem but not speak either myself." Then I imagined some of the lists
one could get as a response from people around here! "Oh, I only speak 40 languages or
so, at least last time I counted, do you want them all?" I'm sure this situation or
something similar has happened to a few of our members!

I do know I have to maintain my Spanish. While I haven't forgotten it, it's much harder
to speak it right now than Italian. Watching a few movies in Spanish and reading some
short stories will likely rectify this problem! I've also been speaking French whenever
possible, including practicing it with some friends. My language wanderlust makes me
want to study German or Icelandic. I don't really have a comment, since right now I
don't think I have time to really study either (Icelandic from scratch nor improve my
basic German).

That's all I can think to say right now, and it's also time for bed.

1 person has voted this message useful

canada38
Tetraglot
Canada
Joined 5439 days ago

304 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Japanese

Message 26 of 27
22 July 2011 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Just a short update, since it's late and I need to go to bed. Although short, it's
sufficient to explain how I've been making extremely good progress with Italian.
I've been speaking (and sometimes typing) in Italian on Skype for about 2 hours
every day for the last month or so with a friend of mine. I've found that I need
to use the dictionary less and less, usually only for words that I've not encountered
before. I've even caught myself thinking in Italian throughout that day. Needless to
say, I'm very impressed with myself. Hopefully I can return to Italy in the near
future!

I've also been speaking French whenever possible. My girlfriend also speaks
French, so I've been trying to convince to her have "French night" once per week with
me (So far I've been unsuccessful). Any suggestions?

I've watched a few movies in Spanish recently, but I don't really have the time
or motivation for it right now. Don't get me wrong though, I still love the language!
Thankfully, I'll be forced to return to studying this beautiful language in the fall.

And for German, well I haven't done any study of it, but I just want to mention
that it's always on my mind. I don't know what my reasoning is for telling you all this
emotion; perhaps only that I've been felling guilty for not studying the language!

Anyway, I wish my team, and everyone else on the forum, the best of luck with their
language studies and other pursuits!

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5341 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 27 of 27
22 July 2011 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Just talk to her in French all the time. One of two things will happen (this is based on experience with my fiancée):
1.) She'll talk back in French or 2.) she'll roll her eyes and respond in English. I'm lucky in that I have a friend who
lives around the corner who is from Cameroon, so my fiancée often just puts up with it and hands me off to my
friend whenever possible. Great to hear about your progress!

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version