Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Esperanto, Toki Pona, German, French

Message 1 of 49
31 December 2010 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Let the challenge begin! For my log entries leading up to TAC 2011, see Lianne's Holiday Season with Toki Pona.

I am on Team Ŭ, the Esperanto team, along with LittleBoy (Robert King), whose log is here.

This year, I'll be studying Toki Pona, Esperanto, and German. I'm focusing on Toki Pona at the beginning of the year, but hope to shift my focus back to Esperanto fairly soon. German will come in more when I'm not working on Toki Pona as much.

I don't really know how to tell what my level is in each language, so I'll just describe what I've learned so far:

Toki Pona: I've done 10 of the 18 lessons at toki.co.nr. So far I can translate all the practice sentences between English and Toki Pona with few problems. I feel that my biggest weakness currently is that, given a sentence, I pretty much read the whole thing and then take it apart in my mind in order to determine its meaning. This means that if I ever heard someone speaking Toki Pona, I probably wouldn't understand a whole lot. If there's any Toki Pona audio or video on the Internet, I'll have to look for it.
Goal: Be able to participate in Toki Pona chat rooms and forums without being corrected. Essentially, I want fluency, but I don't know if I'll get the chance for much speaking/listening practice.

Esperanto: My knowledge is currently sort of all over the place, as I've largely been learning from the vocabulary lists on Lernu. I pick up vocabulary much more easily in Esperanto than in other languages. I think right now I just need more structure, so I will soon be getting back into doing actual lessons on Lernu. I also own two books in Esperanto, which will be useful as I get to a higher level. For listening practice I use Radio Verda.
Goal: At least basic fluency. I want to be able to read my books and listen to Radio Verda without having to frequently look at a dictionary.

German: Most of my learning has been with Pimsleur. I haven't worked on it in a few months due to school and discovering Esperanto. I think I got up to unit 17 or so. So I don't know much. However, I've been told I have a good accent. :)
Goal: Nothing specific at the moment. Make noticeable progress.

So, good luck to all TAC 2011 participants! I'm looking forward to my first language-learning challenge, and I expect to learn a lot in the year to come. I'm also excited to read other logs, as well as get feedback on my own log. Well, here goes!

EDIT: As of May (page 2 of this log), I have added another language: French! This is the first language I've ever attempted learning for actual practical reasons. Details:

French: I took French in school up to grade 8 (as long as it was required), and pretty much got nowhere beyond knowing colours, how to count to ten, and saying "je suis". However, I think there's a fair bit of passive vocabulary buried in my head.
Goal: Fluency in 3 years. So no specific goals for by the end of TAC 2011. 3 years from now is the next Pan-Canadian Young Feminist Gathering, and I want to be able to understand French panel speakers. Although, 1 year from now I may go to another cross-Canada conference, so a good level of French would be helpful then, too.
Tools: I'll be trying a variety of courses and resources, which I'll talk about in my logs. Also, I live in a French neighbourhood, so I'll be trying to use that to my advantage.

Edited by Lianne on 01 June 2011 at 6:29pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

LittleBoy
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 5254 days ago

84 posts - 100 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 2 of 49
01 January 2011 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Good luck! I'm really looking forward to your log, and seeing how such a small team works! That said, if the idea of having a native speaker for each language team is enacted, I think we might have a problem on our hands...

My searches for Toki Pona audio and video weren't very succesful, apart from the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYVpxm8UPU So I'd love to see any you find. I've also had some problems with comprehension, but I haven't done as many lessons as you yet. I'm hoping that time and practise will answer this one though.

I hadn't heard of Radio Verda, so thanks for that, it looks useful. Also, thanks for pointing out the word lists on Lernu, they are useful, and I have to agree that Esperanto vocabulary generally seems to be easier. That said, a lot is English or Romance, and I've only learnt the most basic stuff so far. Oh, and I'm not counting the table of correlatives in the easy bit!

Sorry I can't really talk about or help with your German. Again, good luck!

Edited by LittleBoy on 01 January 2011 at 6:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 3 of 49
03 January 2011 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
I'm glad some of my resources were useful to you!

After looking at the Toki Pona video you found, I did some YouTube searching of my own and found this, which is kind of interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3NhwXwCiJE It seems to be someone talking in Esperanto, talking about Toki Pona. So I don't know how helpful stuff like that is, but it's pretty neat. I didn't find much actually in Toki Pona, unfortunately.

Haha, yeah, I don't know all the correlatives yet. I know a few them, that you see a lot in example sentences, namely kiu, kio, tio, and kiel, really well, plus I know a few more of them if I think about it for a few seconds. I think I'm going to make up some example sentences for each of them, to try to learn them naturally like I did the first few.

aikidave
United States
https://aiki.pbworks
Joined 5020 days ago

2 posts - 4 votes
Studies: Toki Pona

Message 4 of 49
05 January 2011 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Hi,
There is a new dialogue in toki pona on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMhkfcvjx0
I wish there was a script to go along with it.

When I get some free time (and I get my video camera repaired), I hope to post a video of me reading a story in toki pona. I would include both the toki pona text and English translation.

Have you seen the booklet TP in 76 Illustrated Lessons?
https://aiki.pbworks.com/f/tp+in+76+lessons+English.pdf
Good learning to you!
Dave
https://aiki.pbworks.com/w/page/1594805/Toki-Pona

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 5 of 49
05 January 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
aikidave, thanks a lot for those links! The illustrated lessons in particular look really useful. I'll look over them more in the next few days. :)

I finished the Toki Pona lessons yesterday! I don't know the vocabulary from the last few lessons very well yet, but I think I understand all the concepts. Now for the bad news: I got to lesson 18, which is just text in Toki Pona that you're supposed to read, and presumably understand. Well, I understood most of it, but not all. I'm especially stuck on the title of the page: "toki awen sona ni li pini." From my googling, I've found that toki awen could mean a promise or vow, or, more likely, it means writing. And those translations make sense, but I couldn't figure them out myself. I still don't know what toki awen sona could mean... So apparently the lessons are just the beginning of learning Toki Pona. Now I have to learn to decipher these weird combinations.

So I think my priority now is to read a lot. I'm gonna get on those forums, and also find stuff written elsewhere, such as this page I came across yesterday: http://www.conlang.info/relay14/toki_pona_2.html

Also on that same site, how crazy is this? http://www.theiling.de/schrift/tokipona.html It's a script, in which each character represents one toki pona word. Awesome!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 6 of 49
08 January 2011 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Well, the first week of the challenge is over! I haven't studied in the last couple of days, but before that I was doing great. Regular habits take time to really get into, I suppose. Anyway, I think each week I'll post how much studying I did in each language, and what my big accomplishments were.

January 1 - 7: (times are in the format hh:mm)
Toki Pona - 04:16
Esperanto - 00:19
German - 00:00

Accomplishments:
Finished Toki Pona lessons at toki.co.nr.

Obviously, the focus was on Toki Pona. Because I've come quite far in Toki Pona, my focus will soon be shifting more towards Esperanto. Hopefully I'll have time to add some German time in soon too.

For motivation, I've been trying not to break the chain, which so far has not been enough to make me study when I'm busy, but I'm hoping it will become more effective with time.

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 7 of 49
16 January 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
Oh boy oh boy. Bad week for the language studies. I'm in the midst of job searching, having just graduated, and the sudden burst of free time has caused me to sit around watching Charmed all day. The last thing I want to do is spend time on my computer, which is where my language studying happens. (I just graduated with a computer science degree.) And the time I do spend on my computer, I end up editing Wikipedia, even more than usual since I'm participating in a backlog elimination drive and I've become a bit competitive. Anywho, this is how much I studied this week:

January 8 - 14:
Toki Pona: 00:23
Esperanto: 00:40
German: 00:00

This is a year long challenge. So obviously not every week is gonna be awesome in every area of my life. I suppose I have to accept that and just not let it get me down, which would make me less efficient all around. So, here's to next week!

Lianne
Canada
thetoweringpile.blog
Joined 5059 days ago

284 posts - 410 votes 

Message 8 of 49
23 January 2011 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
Still not a great week, but better than last week! Optimism!

January 15 - 21:
Toki Pona: 00:14
Esperanto: 1:33
German: 00:00

I made quite a bit of progress on the Esperanto word lists on Lernu. I now know the words for all kinds of body parts and articles of clothing! :)

This discussion contains 49 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version