Australia
Joined 6068 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 9 of 12
29 May 2011 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Week 21
Grammar - some of chapter 12 completed. I am going to start including some intensive written exercises from now. I have several of the Practice makes Perfect series, and I'll start working through them systematically. As I've been working on pronouns with my Skype tutor, I think I'll start with the Pronouns and Prepositions book - oh, those double pronouns !!!
Anki - still catching up, I seem to go two steps forward and one step back. You really need to stay on top of the flash cards or they turn into a runaway train.
Reading - translating more of Assimil Perfectionnemente, it's slow work because I want to get the translations spot on, and every word I look up leads me to some interesting phrases I want to put into Anki.
Conversation - well, this week I had a whole 5 minutes of perfect conversation - without a single error !
Assimil - up to lesson 28. It's getting to be a real struggle to get a lot of the conversation now, it's getting faster and more complex. I'm thinking about giving Assimil a break and doing "Practice and Improve" for a while. I've done 10 of the lessons in "Ci Vuole Orecchio" volume 1 so far.
Total time to date = 200 hours - yay !!!
1 person has voted this message useful

kmart
Australia
Joined 6068 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 

Message 10 of 12
13 June 2011 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Week 23
Grammar - finished chapter 12 of my textbook, and completed 3 chapters of pronoun exercises - subject, direct object and indirect object. Next up - double pronouns, yikes!
Anki - slogging away, I am probably over-cautious when selecting the repetition time-frame and so I've always got a lot of words to review. Some days it's hard to open the program, then I remind myself it's only 15 minutes, can't be too hard to fit in...
Assimil - I've temporarily suspended Assimil, and am now listening to "Italian ImmersionPlus" by Penton - when I bought it a couple of years ago (for next to nothing from Audible, I think) it was incomprehensible to me, and I despaired of ever being able to understand spoken Italian. Now I'm finding it a little challenging but definitely comprehensible. There are 3 dialogue situations, each broken down into 9 sections. Each section contains the dialogue at normal conversational speed (so they say, I think it's a little slower than normal), then repeated at a slower rate, then repeated again at the normal rate. Without reading the transcript, I can get a solid understanding of the conversation at the normal speed, and can fill in the gaps with 5-6 passes at the slower speed. Then I check the transcript and re-listen until I can clearly identify all the words. Also practicing shadowing with the slower dialogue. It's given me a confidence and motivational boost to realise that my listening comprehension has actually improved.
Completed "Ci Vuole Orecchio" volume 1 and 3 units of volume 2. Did usual language practice with Skype tutor and my study buddy. Watched "Pranzo di Ferragosto" again, with English subtitles, but I realised afterwards that it has Italian subtitles, so I'll give it another go very soon with the Italian. I've been wanting this option for my Inspector Montalbano series, but it isn't on my set - don't they think that there's maybe some deaf Italians want to watch it too, not just Anglophones?
The one area I'm really not happy with is reading practice - I get some with the textbook work, and there's also the transcripts for Assimil etc, but I just don't seem to find time to do some serious reading. I've bought some bilingual easy-readers from Amazon, will have to wait til my trip to the US in September to pick them up from my daughter, though.
Total time to date = 225 hours

kmart
Australia
Joined 6068 days ago

194 posts - 400 votes 

Message 11 of 12
19 June 2011 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Week 24
Grammar - finished chapter 13 of my textbook and chapter 4 of my pronoun exercises.
Vocabulary - did Anki every day, and have finally caught up on the outstanding reviews. I have over 4000 cards now, half way to that magic 10,000 that is supposed to bestow "fluency" (hmm, do I feel half-fluent?)
Listening - have completed "Italian Immersion Plus", and while it was interesting and a good level for comprehension practice, as a teaching aid, it's not much. Actually, as a teaching aid, it's not anything at all. It's a pity they didn't create more dialogues, it is a good tool for practicing listening comprehension, but there's not enough of it.
However, I have found another good source - "Cantieri d'Italia", a language program devised by RAI, primarily for immigrants living in Italy it seems. There are about 40 half-hour TV programs, and they are available to view on the website, along with transcripts and exercises. The show consists of several short sketches, then some grammar points that relate back to the sketches, then short documentaries on Italian life and society, particularly the legal aspects that would be useful for immigrants to know. I've watched 3 programs so far.
Also listened to an audio book and watched 2 movies - "Ciao Professore" and "Rosa e Cornelia".
Total time to date = 244 hours

magictom123
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5537 days ago

272 posts - 365 votes 
Studies: Italian, French

Message 12 of 12
19 June 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Hi Kmart

It seems you are well on your way to achieving your goal. I am also using cantieri
d'italia. It is a good resource as you said. There is a similar one you may not be
familiar with that is called Italianoinfamiglia - it may be of some use to you, if only
for listening comprehension.

Keep up the good work!

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version