Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
76 messages over 10 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 1 ... 9 10 Next >>
Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 1 of 76
09 February 2011 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
I create parallel texts for my studies, and I know doviende does, too, but who else
succumbed to the lure of this method? Might be good to make sure we're not doing work
that has already been done.
1 person has voted this message useful

pejsek
Czech Republic
Joined 5375 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: Czech*

Message 2 of 76
09 February 2011 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I have also created several parallel texts - Czech to English, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian and Esperanto. However, the rules about copyrighted things are pretty strict on this board, so I decided not to write here about it and not to share it for the time being (yes, I'm implying the texts which I used and also the audio is copyrighted and I'm doing illegal stuff).

What do you suggest?

giok
Poland
Joined 5117 days ago

17 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Italian*

Message 3 of 76
09 February 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
I am. Here is what I have created so far:

Lagerlof - Kejsaren av Portugallien [Swedish-Russian] (Swedish audiobook available)
Strindberg - Röda Rummet [Swedish-Russian] (Swedish audiobook available)
Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 [Ukrainian-Russian] (Ukrainian audiobook available)
Nabokov - Lolita [English-Russian]
Nabokov - Lolita [English-Italian]
Austen - Pride and Prejudice [English-Italian]
Hemingway - The Old Man and the Sea [English-Italian]
Palahniuk - Fight Club [English-Italian]

Right now I'm working on:
Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karamazov [Russian-Italian] (this one will take a lot of time)
Twain - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer [Ukrainian-Russian] (Ukrainian audiobook available, almost done)

I'm willing to share any of these (especially if you have something to give me in exchange ;) ). It's difficult to find texts in Ukrainian with a matching audiobook and text in English or Russian, so if you know of any let me know! I'm also looking for something for Polish.

EDIT: when i say "available" I mean online and for free

Edited by giok on 09 February 2011 at 6:14pm

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 4 of 76
09 February 2011 at 7:07pm | IP Logged 
Replied in private.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rafaelrbp
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 6948 days ago

181 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish, English, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 5 of 76
09 February 2011 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I have created the first chapter of Lord of the Rings and the full book of the Little Prince in English/Spanish/French/Italian/German/Portuguese, bilingual combination, interlaced by rows and columns.

I have them in an Excel spreadsheet, and it's easy to convert to a PDF with two chosen languages (ex: German x Spanish), row by row or column by column.

I'm planning to share it in my personal website for educational purposes, but I would like to know how illegal this is.

I'm also planning to do the same with other books, and to extend them to at least Esperanto and Catalan - if anyone could help, I would really appreciate.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 76
10 February 2011 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
A couple of years ago I made a number of interlaced bilingual texts, mostly based on the tales of Hans Christian Andersen (because there are so many translations of his works). And I made them using spreadsheets in order to put complete meanings nicely unto separate, alternate lines in each language.

Later I became lazy and made side-by-side bilinguals, including some based on pages from the Bible using the Lexilogos multilingual mechanism - but I soon realized that the language thereof might be slightly off-target if thou just want to acquire bread or wine or water in a store.

Finally I have entered the Google translate era, where I can make 'interdispersed' machine translations, using the unexpected phenomenon that a Google translation inserted into MSword 'as text' automatically becomes bilingual with alternating sentences in the two languages that are involved. I have discussed the pros and cons of this elsewhere, but my general opinion is that a machine translation with grotesque, but identifiable errors always is better than a devious 'free' literary translation where all problems have been smoothed out. And of course you should always use an original in your target language, not translate anything into a language you can't proofread.

Apart from that Siomotteikiru's bilinguals may still be accessible somewhere on a Polish homepage, - the exact address was given in an old thread somewhere on this forum.

Edited by Iversen on 11 February 2011 at 11:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

JPike1028
Triglot
United States
piketransitions
Joined 5332 days ago

297 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Italian
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Swedish, Portuguese, Czech

Message 7 of 76
10 February 2011 at 10:24am | IP Logged 
I am trying to start this, but having difficulty with the actual process. I do not have the time to sit and copy and
paste entire works, but I have not been able to make the aligning program I have work yet. Also, I do not have
enough space on my computer for all the files. There is still Billingual
Texts
as well which I will be using to get myself started when I brush off Italian in a couple of months.

PawelP
Poland
Joined 5423 days ago

5 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Polish*
Studies: English

Message 8 of 76
10 February 2011 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
I have created a few Polish-English parallel texts. I have text and audio which sum up to about 75h.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version