Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
76 messages over 10 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 9 10 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 76
14 February 2011 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
When I made interlaced texts I used a method that involved matching lines in a spreadsheet, and that was fairly labour intensive.

It was much easier to cut out passages with a suitable length and then insert them into two column tables in a wordprocessor - then you could do the matching simply by moving the vertical line between the columns. This was probably the most efficient method I have tried, but the kind of texts I prefer are not easy to find in matching pairs - especially not in digital form. If I liked bone dry administrative texts from international organizations (UN, EU) my life would be much easier!

So now I mostly use Google translate and 'insert as text', and then the sentences automatically come in pairs in a running text, except where the program got confused due to 'extra' full stops (for instance after ordinal numbers). To make this more readable I mostly color the Danish or English version sentence by sentence, which admittedly does take time, but makes it easier to ignore the translation when I don't need it.

Edited by Iversen on 14 February 2011 at 10:02am

4 persons have voted this message useful

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5801 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 10 of 76
14 February 2011 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
So now I mostly use Google translate and 'insert as text', and then the sentences automatically come in pairs in a running text,

Can you elaborate on this technique? I can't seem to find how to get pairs of sentences except by doing them one sentence at a time.

Are you referring to Google Translate on the normal web site or the Google Translate Toolkit which has many more options, or is the "insert as text" inside Word or some other editor? Thanks.

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. If you translate a web page, it looks like it is in the target language only, but if you copy and then paste it as plain text, the translation and the original sentences are aligned in pairs.

That is very useful!

Edited by tommus on 14 February 2011 at 3:55pm

1 person has voted this message useful

away-with-words
Triglot
Australia
Joined 4963 days ago

4 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 11 of 76
18 February 2011 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
I create parallel texts for my studies, and I know doviende does,
too, but who else
succumbed to the lure of this method? Might be good to make sure we're not doing work
that has already been done.

If you have time, would you mind explaining for a newbie what you mean by this - how
exactly do you use these texts in your studies? Thank you!

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5161 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 12 of 76
18 February 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
I'm preparing some parallel texts for myself and some for my students, but since there are very likely copyright problems, those shall remain private.

However, because that is a very frequent problem, I'm currently working with another forum member in making an (in principle) web-based tool to allow anyone to make parallel texts if he somehow got hold of pairs of single-language texts.

The tool can't go public yet due to its current state, but I'll be glad to further discuss it with anyone interested. The more the better the tool can get :)

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6800 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 13 of 76
20 February 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Could someone tell me how to create them, I am unfamiliar with this method

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5161 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 76
20 February 2011 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
The idea is to set up a two-column document with a certain text in a language you know and one you want to learn.

Text in language A goes in column #1, text in language B goes in column #2. Both texs are split into segments, which are equivalent across texts (a segment could contain 2 paragraphs in lang A and be split into three paragraphs in lang B).

In extreme cases, segments can be single sentences or even lines. For that, some people prefer to interleave both texts instead of a 2-column layout, but it's impractical for higher order segmentation.

I'm working in a tool that'll let you align two or three texts (thinking of one machine, literal translation and a free, meaning-preserving one along with the original text).

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6405 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 15 of 76
21 February 2011 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
If Google Translate is enough to get the sense across (unfortunately it's not for the
languages I'm studying), then the "Franker" extension for Chrome is a dream come true:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gilglhgnmdmjdagi ehbokboocbgiddnh
9 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 16 of 76
21 February 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Sprachprofi wrote:
If Google Translate is enough to get the sense across (unfortunately
it's not for the
languages I'm studying), then the "Franker" extension for Chrome is a dream come true:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gilglhgnmdmjdagi ehbokboocbgiddnh

What a wonderful find. I wish it were possible to switch the sentence order, so that the
translation comes before the original text (since I find this much more helpful) but
besides that, it is a marvellous plug-in. Thank you so much for finding it and bringing
it to our attention.

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version