Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5142 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 35 of 76
03 March 2011 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
That's a shame that bilingual-texts isn't online any more, I was planning on making lots of use of it for the next while :(. Anyway if anyone's interested I have their La Chute and 1984 French/English texts on my PC, in RTF and PDF format. And I think L'étranger is on my home laptop but I'll have to check that for sure.
1 person has voted this message useful

jazzboy.bebop
Norway
norwegianthroughnove
Joined 5353 days ago

439 posts - 800 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 36 of 76
03 March 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
I have L'étranger if anyone wants it. PM me and I'll send it using sendspace.

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5604 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 37 of 76
10 March 2011 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Splog wrote:
Splog wrote:
Sprachprofi wrote:
If Google Translate is enough to get
the sense
across (unfortunately
it's not for the
languages I'm studying), then the "Franker" extension for Chrome is a dream come true:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/gilglhgnmdmjdagi ehbokboocbgiddnh

What a wonderful find. I wish it were possible to switch the sentence order, so that
the
translation comes before the original text (since I find this much more helpful) but
besides that, it is a marvellous plug-in. Thank you so much for finding it and bringing
it to our attention.

I contacted the creator of Franker, and suggested that he add an setting to switch the
order of sentences. He very kindly agreed to add this to his upcoming new release. This
will make it very useful for me, particularly the iPad version - since I often read
things on-the-move.

The creator of Franker has now kindly implemented two features that I requested:

1: An option to force the translation to appear BEFORE (rather than after) the
original text

2: An option to suppress the brackets (parenthesis - oh, which I put here in
parenthesis!) that by-default surround the translation

These are relatively minor changes, but I have found that they add greatly to the
product.

Here, then, is the latest version of Franker for Google
Chrome

The same features are now being added to the iPad/iPhone version of Franker.

Edited by Splog on 10 March 2011 at 5:47pm

carlonove
United States
Joined 5921 days ago

145 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian

Message 38 of 76
17 July 2011 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
I bumped this because I think Franker deserves more attention than it's gotten. I'm currently playing with some mouse macros to get it to highlight and "frankate" in 1-2 clicks.

rjtrudel
Diglot
United States
Joined 6762 days ago

36 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 39 of 76
25 July 2011 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Franker is great! There is also an iphone app called speaktext which does the same thing but splits the text
into seperate sentences and has text to voice, which my Spanish friend says has suprisingly good text to
speech (at least its good in Spanish)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6638 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 40 of 76
25 July 2011 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
I know Frank's homepage, but Splog ("FluentCzech") has made an excellent video on Youtube where he recommends some slight changes to the method, and I recommend his emendations.

Personally I use three kinds of parallel texts: ready-mady books, parallel columns in tables in a wordprocessor program like Word and finally interspersed bilinguals made by copying-and-pasting text from Google translate into Word "as text" or into Notepad (I haven't found out how to use Open/Libraoffice for this). I have explained the last two of these in detail my Guide to Learning Languages in the Techniques subforum here on HTLAL and also in a couple of videos on Youtube (as "NJLIversen").

The readymade books are rare (unless you include texbooks with solutions in the book), but I have for instance once bought an expensive version of "Gesta Danorunm" by Saxo Grammaticus (a magnificent text in Medieval Latin) and a few days ago a bought a book with Sardic verse including a translation into Italian. I would have preferred non-fiction, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. And in both cases the translations are reasonably close to the original, which is a must. I once borrow Satyrican in Latin and Italian from the local library, and it was useless because the translator was one of these failed authors who ae more concerned with their own version than with the original text.

Parallel columns are better than opposite pages because you can regulate the length of each version by modifying column widths. I mostly use this format for texts pasted-and-pasted from bilingual site.

And finally I use the interspersed format for anything else, provided that the language is one that translate.google.com can deal with. In case somebody opposes the use of machine translations on the grounds that the are faulty I'll just give my standard answer: faulty, but non-cheating machine translations are better than 'free' literary translations which don't follow the original text. The translation is only a help for you to push you over difficult places in the original, or maybe to confirm your own suspicions. Ultimately you have to do your own reading of the original - translations are just crutches which you eventually should throw away.

I don't share my translations for the following three reasons: 1) copyright-problems, 2) my baselanguage = Danish, 3) it is easy to do your own translations using the methods I mentioned above - and then you and not I have chosen the original text (which in my eyes is an important factor).

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version