Germany
Joined 5255 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 89 of 89
24 September 2011 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Aquila wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:
For Russian, it definitely pays off to learn the meaning of some common prefixes and suffixes.

Where would you store a word like this in a loci-town or palace?

I didn't use a special memory technique for them. I learned the most frequently used ones by assimilation and the rest gradually from textbooks and grammars. IMHO, loci are not well suited for monosyllabic prefixes and suffixes anyway, because it's often hard to come up with good images.

Aquila wrote:
And how do you visualize suffixes like -erie, -ние and -ость?

I don't have to visualize them, because I had enough L2 input to know what most of them are used for. For me this is similar to the -ly, -able and -ing suffixes in English. Once you've learned the most frequently used words, you usually know what kinds of words these suffixes are used with.
Knowing common prefixes, suffixes and other "building blocks" helps me to link them to existing or made-up words that they're derived from. (I use loci only to store the actual words that want to learn or review.)

Mnemonics are good for many things, but they're not an all-purpose tool to solve all learning needs.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version