1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 9 of 89
20 July 2011 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Josh Cohen wrote:
slucido wrote:
Anyway, for average people all these techniques are useless. If people do not have the memory skill needed, this is a waste of time.

I think anyone can learn visualization with practice. I have a terrible memory and didn't consider myself "visual", but I trained myself to memorize hundreds of random digits after seeing each digit once, and I don't forget names anymore. Visual associations keep getting easier and faster...

I agree with you, but it takes a long time to have a trained memory like yours. You need a strong motivation to keep training to be able to learn hundreds of random digits, cards or stuff like that.

If people goal is learning a language, I think its not worth it to spend time with this kind of exhausting memory training.

Josh Cohen wrote:

This method is basically the linkword method, except that it adds locations to sort the words by grammar rules. It's like seeing someone whose face you recognize, but whose name you can't remember. The first thing the mind does is to try to find the location where you met the person. As soon as you recall that location ("we met at the supermarket last summer"), other information about the person comes rushing back.

I agree with you, but this is useful if you use it to actively rehearse this vocabulary to fix it and to get rid of the crutches (localizations, associations and so on). This means reducing your reactions to 0,4 seconds.

1 person has voted this message useful

Zwlth
Super Polyglot
United States
Joined 5161 days ago

154 posts - 320 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Persian, Greek

Message 10 of 89
21 July 2011 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
Granted, there are memory castle loci peg technqiques that can help you memorize a dictionary and even a grammar book. There are also reports of other miraculous ways to increase your brain power. But, has anyone ever met or even heard of anyone who truly mastered a language in a remarkably short time by doing anything like this?

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 11 of 89
21 July 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
Granted, there are memory castle loci peg technqiques that can help you memorize a dictionary and even a grammar book. There are also reports of other miraculous ways to increase your brain power. But, has anyone ever met or even heard of anyone who truly mastered a language in a remarkably short time by doing anything like this?

Ramón Campayo is a Spanish memory champion. In his book "Aprende un idioma en 7 días", his wife wrote that Mr Ramón learned German using a little electronic dictionary in two hours. This was travelling by plain from Spain to Germany. According to her, he was able to produce a public speech when he arrived to Germany.

Do you believe this claim? :0))))

By the way, his book is basically about the keyword technique.

If you are a Gran Master Of Memory, or something like that, I think it is possible to learn a huge number of foreign words in a short period of time,but your pronunciation will be a mess and you will still need a lot of experience and practice with the language.

Mnemonics is very limited. It is not a miracle.

Josh Cohen
United States
mnemotechnics.org/
Joined 4811 days ago

35 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Esperanto

Message 12 of 89
21 July 2011 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
Zwlth wrote:
...has anyone ever met or even heard of anyone who truly mastered a language in a remarkably short time by doing anything like this?

Read the book Moonwalking with Einstein.

I'm trying to learn Esperanto as fast as possible at the moment. It's a simple language to start with. I'm headed to the Lernu Meeting in Slovakia at the end of July. I'll post an update in August on how it goes.

slucido wrote:
Mnemonics is very limited. It is not a miracle.

I would say that mnemonics can help ordinary people attain miraculous things, but only with practice. ("Miraculous" as in being able to do "impossible" things like memorize thousands of binary digits in 30 minutes or a deck of cards as quick as under 30 seconds.)

Memorizing vocabulary is not the same as knowing a language. The techniques would only help with vocabulary and grammar memorization. Your brain still has to process the information to be able to use it.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 13 of 89
21 July 2011 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
Josh Cohen wrote:

I would say that mnemonics can help ordinary people attain miraculous things, but only with practice. ("Miraculous" as in being able to do "impossible" things like memorize thousands of binary digits in 30 minutes or a deck of cards as quick as under 30 seconds.)

I agree that we can achieve those feats, but they take too much time and effort and they are useless from a practical point of view.

Josh Cohen wrote:

Memorizing vocabulary is not the same as knowing a language. The techniques would only help with vocabulary and grammar memorization. Your brain still has to process the information to be able to use it.

Yes, I agree with you.

Josh Cohen
United States
mnemotechnics.org/
Joined 4811 days ago

35 posts - 63 votes 

Message 14 of 89
21 July 2011 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
I agree that we can achieve those feats, but they take too much time and effort and they are useless from a practical point of view.

I see the purpose of memorizing things like binary digits as pushing the level of what is possible. The people who competitively memorize binary digits are the ones developing new memory techniques based on what they learn by pushing things to the limit.

If an ordinary human can learn to quickly memorize a sequence of 1000 zeros and ones, an ordinary human should also be able to quickly memorize huge amounts of vocabulary and grammar data (with practice).

Memorizing vocabulary isn't "knowing the language", but I think that it's something useful.

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
Joined 6610 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 89
21 July 2011 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Josh Cohen wrote:
slucido wrote:

I see the purpose of memorizing things like binary digits as pushing the level of what is possible. The people who competitively memorize binary digits are the ones developing new memory techniques based on what they learn by pushing things to the limit.

I agree, but the techniques they develop are useful to learn that: random digits, random cards and things like that.

Josh Cohen wrote:

If an ordinary human can learn to quickly memorize a sequence of 1000 zeros and ones, an ordinary human should also be able to quickly memorize huge amounts of vocabulary and grammar data (with practice)
Memorizing vocabulary isn't "knowing the language", but I think that it's something useful.

Believe me. It is quite useless to learn words and grammar rules out of context.

Josh Cohen
United States
mnemotechnics.org/
Joined 4811 days ago

35 posts - 63 votes 

Message 16 of 89
21 July 2011 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Believe me. It is quite useless to learn words and grammar rules out of context.

It's not necessarily out of context though. You have to remember (memorize) vocabulary and rules one way or another. It's basically the linkword method, which I'm assuming many people use, but with the addition of locations to sort words according to the grammar.

I don't know--I'm not an language expert--but it's a technique I'm working on.

Edited by Josh Cohen on 22 July 2011 at 12:02am

This discussion contains 89 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version